How much does ....cost in Grand Cayman?

Movie theater?

Video rental?

Rum Point..other public beaches?

Thanks!
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 09:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Movies - CI$7 (I think)

DVD/Video Rental - CI$3.25 (new releases, less for other videos)

Beaches - umm.. public means free... no charge

Note, CI$=US$1.25
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 04:02 PM
Original Poster

Now that I know the answers those look like really stupid questions!
I have read so many posts on how expensive that GC is that I am getting nervous about the expense of my trip next week!And trying to figure out what exactly is so expensive!
Also, in my defense where I live public beachs (on lakes and creeks means that the public has access but there is still often a fee to get in!

This message board has been excellent help plannning my trip!! THANKS!
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 04:29 PM

Don't be nervous-just be well informed and you'll be fine. Since you already know from TomCayman what the exchange rate is, you know that you probably need 25% more money than you may have believed to begin with.
You can cut costs immensely by staying in a condo and eating a lot of breakfasts and lunches in your condo. Food in the grocery store is not outrageous to buy. We found that we spent a lot on dinners because we chose to go to nice restaurants. Dinner for three was about $150-$175 with no drinks. However, it was worth every penny! Cayman has the best food I've ever experienced. However, you can also eat at fast food restaurants if you want-although they are also more expensive than in the states.
I think the watersports are very comparable to other places and so are souvenirs. Rental cars are also affordable.
It's not like Florida, where you can go expensively or very inexpensively, but you can be economical in Cayman if you choose to be.
Once you see the beautiful beaches and ocean, I doubt if you'll even need dvd's!
This is a great forum-let everyone know when you are going and where you are staying and you'll get plenty of feedback.
We are leaving for Cayman in 2 days for the second year in a row and can't wait!
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 05:47 PM

We are leaving in 10 days for our first trip to Grand Cayman! Our concerns have mainly been about where we are staying -- we decided to stay on the East end of the island at the Reef Resort. Lots of people have told us that we should stay at 7-Mile beach instead, but we thought we'd like the quieter side better -- hope we're right! There are 5 of us (with our 3 kids ages 20, 17 and 15), so I'm hoping we can find some moderate places to eat dinner on some of the nights.
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 06:56 PM

I just returned from an East End stay, and we were 5 also. There aren't many restaurants around, but one nice and reasonable one is Portofino, just a few miles up the road. A little further (about 15 minutes' drive) is the Lighthouse. That's a little pricier, but the food is good, the service is good, and the atmosphere is very pleasant.
Enjoy your trip.
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 07:04 PM
anonxx

Make sure and take in the "all you can eat buffet" at The Reef resort. We have stayed there twice with kids (19,17,8) and just loved it. There is also a reasonably priced beach front bar/restaurant at The Reef called Castro's that is good and not too expensive. (and you can't beat the great beach & view) Remember, 7MB may seem like a bit of a drive, but it takes less time to get there than most of our daily commutes to work, and the view/drive is beautiful. There are plenty of options for a variety of price ranges.