Caymans - place for a couple?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 2004, 01:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, Can anyone help me with a few questions on the Caymans? We will be travelling in December and are looking for a "date-style" atmosphere. Is the Caymans the place? We originally booked a resort in St.Maarten and recently found out that there was a nudist colony right next door. We are looking for a more reserved type of place. Also, if anyone else knows about Barbados (our second choice), any info would be greatly appreciated. Looking for a decent atmosphere, the less topless, the better.
Thanks,
Kim
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 05:33 PM

Kim,

My husband, 2 children and I have visited Grand Cayman twice and love the place. I can't speak to the "couple atmosphere" because we've always had the kids with us but it is a very "decent" place. No nudity or topless beaches that we found. The place is beautiful. Supberb snorkeling. Nice resturants. I'm sure you could find some neat bars and clubs if you ask.
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 06:32 AM

Kim,

You'll find Grand Cayman quite conservative. The most you'll see is maybe a thong or two from the cruise ship folks. Other than that, We've never seen anyone topless there as it's against the law.

As far as it being a "place for a couple" I think you be quite happy. GC attracts everything from families to couples & singles. There's a large variety of accomodations to choose from. Most of us that have been more than once seem to favor getting a condo, but there are some nice hotel options as well. You'll have to decide what type of atmosphere you prefer between the busier Seven Mile Beach area, or the quiet north and east ends. There really seems to be something for all there. It's very safe, and has some very romantic restaurants. Hope this helps...
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

thank you both for your help. it is greatly appreciated. we originally booked a place in st. maarten and found out there was a nudist colony right next door. even though we're not 'squares,' we still not ready for that type of atmosphere. thanks again for the reply. it helps and eases the mind very much!!! kim
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 01:50 PM

The Caymans are wuite conservative, religious people. You won't even find a Playboy being sold on the island, not to mention any nudity. I think it is illegal there anyway. Grand Cayman is one of the safest, most lovely places I have been to. Be sure to visit the rest of the island away from Seven mile beach.
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 02:04 PM
Original Poster

do you recommend any place specific to visit? any place pretty, any sites worth seeing? we'll have a rental car so we'll be able to drive. anything on the east coast? thanks for the help!
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 02:34 PM

I read somewhere that you can come on the island if you have dread locks, that's funny.
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 02:35 PM

oops, I mean you can't... yes, very conservative.
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 05:27 PM

Kim-Since you'll have a car, try to drive to Rum Point. It is just like being on Gilligans Island. You can do boat trips from there or just lay in a hammock all day. Plantana is where we have stayed twice. Condo on a pretty, private/quiet section of 7 Mile Beach. Near the Hyatt and Westin are pretty crowded with people and the cruise ship folks so we prefer staying farther down the beach. You will fall in love with Cayman.
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 05:55 AM

Strongly recommend Cayman (we've been to both St. M & GC!!) Twice have stayed on 7 Mile Beach at Turtle Beach Villas (1 bedr condos with huge screened porches) right on beach plus nice pool. We got ours through www.vrbo.com website & it's just like the pictures. Staying next month at a timeshare place on East End called Morritts Tortuga Club. There's a nice quiet place that really intrigues me: Turtle Nest Inn -- great website (http://turtlenestinn.com)-- we'll be checking it out next month for possible future stay!!