Punta Cana Resort & Club VS Tortuga Bay

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2011, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Three families vacationing together in Caribbean this summer are looking for fabulous golf courses and beautiful beaches with plenty of additional activities available. Youngest child is 16...rest are young adults (18 - 27).

DR was highly recommended. Our first choice is to rent a villa/house rather than "hotel rooms". Have any of you stayed in the the BEACH CASITAS at the Punta Canta Resort ($360 per night for 3 bedroom casita)? Very reasonably priced when compared to the hotel's Ocean Front Villas ($2220 per night for 3 bedroom villa) at Tortuga Bay...out of our price range. It makes me ask "What's wrong with the casitas?" Old? Too small? Website says they are newly refurbished.

Both properties are on same website (www.puntacana.com). Ocean Front Villas are 3930 square feet. No mention of size of casitas...but a "casita" is going to be small...but adequate? We could rent 3 casitas and come out way ahead...but just hope they'd be next to each other.

I did find a lovely 5 bedroom villa/home at Tortuga Bay (just steps from beach) for $1500 per night so we could all stay together under the same roof.

Keeping in mind we want a beautiful, but not completely secluded beach and would love to be close to a little nightlife, are we better off at Punta Cana Resort or at Tortuga Bay? Assuming, of course, we can find the lodging we're looking for a both places.

Thanks to all!
Old Jan 11th, 2011, 09:40 PM
Original Poster

OOOPS...here's something else. A good friend of ours went to DR in 2010 for a guys golfing trip and stayed at Casa de Campo and loved it... But, he claims the unemployed rate is 60% in the DR and says it's not safe to go there.

Anyone else here of this?
Old Jan 12th, 2011, 06:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Caso de Campo is an upscale resort. I wouldn't venture just anywhere in the DR alone, but you are fine at a resort or on guided tours.
Old Jan 27th, 2011, 10:08 AM

I have the same dilema as you. We are going for spring break next month and I had booked a 2 bedroom casita, but after reading reviews and youtube video of the casita, we decided to splurge and changed our resevation to Tortuga Bay. There is not much night life there, but beach and golf are excellent. We also are not much into AI's. You might want to look into this villa on the other side of the Island near Puerto Plata called "Villa Castellamonte". It's 8 bedroom and full staff included, we could not get enough people to go there and share in the cost with us. I think it's $2000/nt in the summer, very reasonable if you are sharing with three families. Excellent Golf is nearby, but no entertainment, but the villa has everything you need. Check out the website: http://www.luxuryretreats.com/villa-...spx?vid=105431 I will be definetly renting this place in the near future. Good luck.
Old Jan 29th, 2011, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

Sunnydee~ Wow...what a villa! Thanks for sharing! I will look further into it. Please post a reply on this thread with your thoughts on the DR when you return!