Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Family of 7 -- needs a resort with "villa" type accomodations

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 04:33 PM
erica

I am planning a trip for April - 7 adults (youngest is 30) --3 couples and one single. Since I don't want the single to feel like a 3rd (or 7th) wheel, I would like to find accomodations that would have us all together somehow -- not 4 separate hotel rooms. I would prefer staying at a resort and not rent a villa.

Here are some other things my group is looking for:

tennis
nice beach
spa facilites
good restaurants
excursions (boating, sightseeing)
shopping not a priority
snorkeling

price range -- we can look at upscale resorts

My initial ideas were:
Casa de Campo -- is this too busy? (I was there many years ago)

Anguilla - Is Cap Jaluca too much of a honeymoon resort for us?

St Lucia - -Anse Chastenet -- do you have to do a lot of climbing -- one person is older and overweight and may have trouble with that

Aruba -- too commercial

thanks

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 05:21 PM
fyi

pool villa at Cap Juluca would fit perfectly. There are 3 bedroom and 5 bedroom villas. Think the extra person charge is $60 for the seventh if you do the 3 bedroom. You'd have your own private pool as well as villa accomodations but all the resort amenities at your finger tips. They also provide the pool villa guests with their own golf cart.

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 05:42 PM
erica

Is Cap Jaluca more for honeymooners than for families (2 parents, 1 married couple in 30's, 1 single --31, 1 unmarried couple - 30)

thanks

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 06:01 PM
erica

Is there anywhere I can get a deal on Cap Jaluca?

thanks

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 07:32 PM
bonnie

I would definately consider the Windjammer Landing Resort in St. Lucia. There web site is www.windjammer-landing.com. They have a few 3 and 4 bedroom villas that are just beautiful. It also has all the admenities you wanted. After our 1st visit 4 years ago we bought a timeshare there and have loved it ever since. The accomodations feel like a home away from home with a kitchen and your own pool, but it's very much a resort. Here you get the best of both worlds. A villa in a resort.

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 09:44 PM
jon r.

Definitely consider the Tryall Club in Jamaica: villa accomodations with resort amenities- feels just like your country club back home but you're in easy reach of restaurants and nightlife of Montego Bay if you ever decide to drag yourselves away from the villa dining or onsite restaurant options. World-class golf and tennis, nice beach with watersports, spa 5 minutes away at Round Hill, snorkeling onsite. The fully-staffed villa experience is unrivaled and you'll get great value at that time of year. Perfectly suited to your needs as you've described them. Two places for more info: www.tryallclub.com and www.randolins.com (lots of info on the Club and Jamaica). Tryall is located in the heart of the Jamaican Riviera away from the heavy tourist traffic but within easy access of Montego Bay. Easy flights to Jamaica (most accessible Caribbean island). Check it out and be interested in your feedback. My enthusiasm level is sky-high as a group of us (non-golfers, actually) spent a week at Tryall last April.

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 10:00 PM
GM

I'd like to recommend Blazing Villas Pine Apple Beach at the Renaissance Grand Resort, St. Thomas [check out their website]. They are RIGHT on the Renaissance property, very pretty grounds, use of the Renaissance facilities including their spa / health club (I had a nice massage at the spa) and the 3 restaurants, plus the 2 pools and beach. Coki Beach is right next door, and the snorkeling is good - they also offer SNUBA there.

We visited one of the places owned by a Dr. we met from Albany, NY. It was great, especially for a gang like yours, and includes a laundry room, plus kitchen facilities (believe it was 4 bdrms, 2.5 baths).

Hope this helps.

Old Dec 18th, 2002, 02:13 AM
xxx

Look into Palmas del Mar in Humacao, Puerto Rico.

Old Dec 18th, 2002, 03:59 AM
Nancy

check the Anguilla board on caribbean-on-line.com. Long threads there discussing Cap Juluca's best prices.

Old Dec 18th, 2002, 04:36 AM
erica

Thanks for all the replys.

I am stuck on Anguilla / Cap Jaluca - -though it seems very expensive.

Do they give you a cot for the extra person if we go with the 3 bedroom villa or should we get 2 2 bedroom suites?

Should I look at Cuisinart ?

We don't want to go to Jamaica, but thanks for the post.

Old Dec 18th, 2002, 07:46 AM
jon r.

Can I ask why the reluctance about Jamaica? We had a great holiday and consider ourselves to be very discerning travelers. That area of Jamaica where the Tryall Club and Round Hill (www.roundhilljamaica.com) are located (5 minutes apart) is unlike any of the major resort towns: Montego Bay, Ocho Rios, Negril. It's very upscale with a corresponding clientele. You won't be disappointed. Cap Juluca is a honeymooners resort- no disrespect intended. Good luck

Old Dec 18th, 2002, 08:09 AM
tommy

erica
Try looking at Wyndham Las Casitas in Puerto Rico. I stayed there recently with a bunch of friends for one's 40th birthday. They have 1, 2, and 3 bedroom villas. Great spa, pretty good but expensive restaurants, near the rain forest, tennis, snorkeling, beach all there. We would have preferred less kids, but found it was still good for a place for adults to relax and have a good time.

Old Dec 18th, 2002, 05:24 PM
cariblover

I agree with the above poster who recommended Tryall's villas. I've had several years' worth of positive experiences at this villa resort with groups including people of all ages. We had a family reunion there a couple of years back and it was the absolute perfect venue. For your group of 7 a Tryall villa is exactly the right fit. Lots to do and the opportunity to take your meals together at in the privacy of your villa served by exceptional staff, if you choose. Tryall combines the best of both worlds, the private villa experience and all the amenities and benefits of a resort. Take a hard look.

Old Dec 18th, 2002, 05:57 PM
cc

you may also want to consider Jumby Bay in Antigua. We were there last year, and had a wonderful time. The resort sits on its own private island. Accomodations range from junior suites (hotel room-like) to private villas, which could accomodate larger families. Lovely beaches on the island and a wonder sense of seclusion and peace (if that's what you're looking for). Definitely not for those looking to party every night.
Access to Antigua via private ferry which runs very frequently and on request. Concierge can arrange tours etc on Antigua. Service and food were excellent.

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 03:56 AM
Molly

I think you would like the windjammer landing in st.lucia.Our family has stayed there four times.We usually stay in a three bedroom villa,and buy the all inclusive package which includes all food and drinks.It is great!My children are now 23,22,20,and 16.They love it and we can all be together.The windjammer is a villa beach resort and is pretty cool.Every single villa has a totally great ocean view.I really think you would love it!

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 10:16 AM
x

This is another recommendation for the villas at Tryall. They really are what you are looking for. We went with 4 couples and a 1 year old and had the time of our lives. There is so much to do on the grounds and you are in the middle of Montego Bay and Negril for tons of other things to do.

Your meals are cooked for you, what ever you want. The staff cleans the house and even does your laundry if you want. One night my fiance and I wanted a romantic dinner by ourselves so we took our little golf cart and drove up to the main house for dinner. We even had massages at our villa by the ocean!

I really can't say enough about this place. Everything you are looking for you can find at the Tryall Club. You should really check it out.

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 02:02 PM
jenna

try the karisma villas in purto plata.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 07:06 PM
xxx

Tryall or Round Hill, definitely. Jamaica's perfect for what you describe.

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 05:40 AM
carol

Try renting villa(s) at Rum Point on Grand Cayman. You're away from the hassles of 7 mile beach yet close enough to take the ferry over for shopping, dinner, etc. Rum point has a wonderful beach, tennis, a couple of restaurants, bars etc. VRBO.com has some rentals there by owner to look at.

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 06:36 AM
Roz

Also look at Half Moon Bay in Jamaica. It has beautiful beach, grounds and villas, with golf, lit tennis courts, a gorgeous health club and spa - preferred it to Tryall, which is also great, but Half Moon has more to do. Our family has been four times. It's 400 acres and very safe on the grounds.