Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Lana Thai Villa at Four Seasons Chiang Mai?

Oct 18th, 2004, 01:09 PM
Original Poster

Any stayed there? From my understanding the villas are on the FS grounds and you can use all the amenities of the FS. Your reviews are appreciated.
Oct 19th, 2004, 01:57 AM
dlh

Hi jvrab12!
We have stayed in the 3 bedroom villa w/pool at the Regent FS and it was beautiful. The villas are not seperated from the main FS accomodations by a wall or any other barrier - in fact they are quite open to the internal FS buggy track through the resort property. The villas share the same grounds as the main accomodations and while off to the side close to the spa the resort is seamless between accomodation areas. You will use the FS amenities in the same way any other FS guest would use them however your villa comes with a housekeeper/cook who will prepare your meals in your villa if you choose. The resort is absolutely beautiful and each evening giant paper lanterns strung from the trees are illuminated giving the gardens a magical feeling. We felt the villas were the perfect choice for our family. Have a great trip!
Oct 19th, 2004, 02:30 AM
CFW

How did you book the villa? How were the accommodation themselves? Were the beds comfortable? How about bathrooms?
Oct 19th, 2004, 03:37 AM
dlh

I think the villas are actually called the "Residences" and we booked through the hotel directly. They were running an offer called "In Residence" that included transfers, breakfast, and dinner (if I remember correctly). I think that each of the residences is decorated a bit differently and each residence is located in a villa that is either 2 or 4 stories high with one residence located on each of the first, second, and third floors (the one on the third floor actually covers two stories) - IMO I think the residences as more like a condo than a traditional stand alone villa. The first floor residences have a private plunge pool (it's small so don't be surprised and not terribly private) but all of the residences share a private pool that only guests that stay in the Residences may use. Our bathrooms were absolutely beautiful as were the bedrooms. Our Master Bedroom had a four poster bed with mosquito netting and the second bedroom had a queen/double bed that was decorated to look a lot like the rooms in the main resort. The third bedroom had twin beds and was spare but lovely however, we thought it was obviously a "third" bedroom which was fine as our children stayed in it but if you are travelling as three couples the couple in the third bedroom may feel a little let down when comparing their bedroom with the other two bedrooms. Also, there is a fireplace in the living room - yummy idea - unfortunately it wasn't cool enough for us to use the fireplace when we were there. Hope this helps!
Oct 19th, 2004, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

Thank you!!
Oct 19th, 2004, 07:13 AM

You can book these at www.asiahotels.com
Oct 20th, 2004, 07:17 AM

I think the original author was referring to:http://www.lana-thai-villa.com/ which are individual suites that are part of the residences at the FS but are not booked through them. They look quite small on the website but are much less expensive then the rooms at the FS. We had one booked for out trip last year but ended up staying at the hotel.
Oct 20th, 2004, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

Eyeski-if you don't mind me asking, why did you choose to stay at the hotel versus the villas?
Oct 20th, 2004, 08:27 AM

As we were only staying two nights I figured the overall cost difference relative to the whole trip was so insignificant I thought I'd stay at the hotel. The rooms looked larger and more luxurious and I figured the location would be better, easier access to the main pool/hotel amenities. The room at the hotel was the nicest we stayed in with a real Thai feel to it.
Oct 20th, 2004, 08:40 AM
dlh

Hi again jvrab12!
My apologies for babbling away about the FS Residences if you were asking about the Lana Thai Villa at the Residences. We did not stay at the Lana Thai Villa just at the regular Residences through the hotel. I checked the Lana Thai Villa website and it looks like it is one of the privately owned residences where someone has decided to rent out the bedrooms individually and you would share the dining room and living room. IMO this could be a little awkward and, if that's the case, you would be MUCH better off in the main hotel - be sure to check with the Lana Thai Villa owner about shared common areas before you make a decision if you are really interested in staying in the Lana Thai Villa. The main FS hotel rooms are beautiful and the bathrooms are gorgeous - definitely worth the difference in price if you are looking for privacy IMO. Also, IMO we found that the difference in distances thoughout the resort from the "main" hotel and the residences was of little importance as we had a buggy in the Residences and we called for a buggy when we stayed in the main hotel. We just found it easiest. Hope this helps! So sorry again for the confusion!
Oct 20th, 2004, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Thank you to all.
Oct 20th, 2004, 11:18 PM

Just returned from Thailand tonight and the Four Seasons Chiang Mai was the highlight of our trip. Do it right and stay in one of their rooms. I suggest a mountain view or better as the garden viiew are ground floor. If you're on the second floor your sala will have the feeling of a fabulous treehouse.