Provo in December

Sep 23rd, 2008, 03:56 AM
Original Poster

Provo in December

My wife and I are thinking of going to Provo in mid December of 2009 to celebrate our 25th. Through research, I've seen conflicting opinions on Provo weather in mid December.

I'm looking for feedback ; Do you think we will be able to swim/snorkel comfortably? Clear skies with occasional passing showers? Any other pertinent info.

I saw one post that compared the climate in Provo to Southern Florida. Is that valid? We've been in the Keys during the same time frame and it could be a little chilly with water and air temps in the high 60s.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

JT3751
Sep 23rd, 2008, 01:27 PM

Hi, I visited Provo Dec 6 - 13, 2007. I was a little concerned about the weather being too cold, but overall, it was fine. I used to go to Florida (usually the gulf coast area near Sarasota but also have been to the Key West, Tampa and Orlando) in February or March, but I stopped going then because every 2 or 3 trips, the weather was not conducive to being on the beach. The rainy day that I experienced on my trip to Provo last December was due to a tropical storm near the Dominican Republic, even though the Atlantic storm season is supposed to end 11/30.

The text below is from my trip report.

I was there from Dec 6 - 13, and the advance forecasts were 30% rain every day. This is a pretty standard forecast for Provo, but most of the time, the rain showers are brief, and they often occur overnight and have little impact on your vacation. But, this trip, there was rain during the day/early evening a few times, and Wednesday (Dec 12) was pretty much an entire day of rain. As I mentioned above, the winds throughout the trip were stronger than I remembered them being during my visit in April/May. Temperatures were comfortable (probably high 70s Ė low 80s during the day) except for the rainy day or when the wind got really strong and the sun was not out (I do get cold easily). I needed a sweater at night but was OK wearing shorts, capri pants, skirts and sandals as long as I kept my arms covered. Water temperatures were OK during my snorkeling experience. I didnít really swim in the ocean much, because I didnít get too hot on the beach, which is what usually drives me into the water.
Sep 23rd, 2008, 05:37 PM
NM

We were in Provo for 2 wks. last Christmas and New Yrs. and the weather was fantastic--clear, warm and wonderful pretty much everyday. Don't worry--it will be great!
Sep 24th, 2008, 03:56 AM

I'm Provo every Dec. and Jan. and love it! Usually low 80's in daytime. No humidity. The water is usually 78-81 degrees. To me that's not quite as cold as East Coast beaches in June, but not the "bathwater' it is in August. Winds can pick up (all over the Caribbean then, they are actually called Christmas Winds.) but usually last a couple of days, then becomes it's regular calm self. If it rains, I've never seen a complete day washout-it might rain an hour, then be sunny a couple of hours, then rain another hour. That's even if it rains, as most of the time it's dry.

Of course we cannot predict the weather, just give our past observations. For me, I snorkel comfortably, maybe not all day, but for an hour or so at a time.

The weather is much better than FLA-I've been to FLA and been freezing, I've never seen Provo get below mid 70's. (it may have happened as a fluke, but never when I have been there! ;-) )
Sep 24th, 2008, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to beachdreams3, NM and blamona. I've sent my deposit for our stay at Coriander Cottage.

I know weather is weather and anything can happen, but I do appreciate you relating your experiences. The positives seem to greatly outweigh the negatives.

JT
Sep 24th, 2008, 04:43 PM

I have been through Corriander Cottage-it is assume! Nice choice!
Oct 3rd, 2008, 10:20 AM

December is nice. You may need a sweater at night. When I dive in December I always weara thin wetsuite.