Point Grace Trip Report

Apr 4th, 2003, 05:19 PM
Original Poster

Point Grace Trip Report

Anyone planning a trip in the near future feel free to ask any questions. I just returned from a quick trip with my husband last week.

After researching the resorts I felt that Point Grace would be the best choice. Money was not an object so I chose a cottage suite for the privacy. The suite was very nice except for some maintenance problems that needed to be resolved by Chris the concierge (probably the best employee there). For $600/nt (plus the 20% tax that's added to everything on the island) it was pretty good - 4-poster bed, marble bath, granite counters in the kit, washer/dryer and a large deck. Each room also has a tv, vcr and a dvd and you can borrow movies from the front desk (nice perk).

The service was HORRIBLE! Even the asst mgr told us that we'd get better service at Ocean Club West (could have knocked Chris over with a feather with that comment).

Charles (the pool boy) was also a very good employee. He remembers your name and makes a point to say hello eveyday.

As soon as we arrived we decided to have lunch at the Terrace Rest. (adjacent to the pool). There was nobody around. So, we decided to go to the pool bar. Moses (bartender) had no clue. Our lunch came out wrong (more than once as did our drinks). They acknowledged it but offered to do nothing to remedy it. Breakfast was better at the Terrace.

Housekeeping had a few problems. They ran out of towels two days in a row. One night they showed up at 10:15 to turn down our beds and give us some clean, but crumpled, towels.

Our taxi was not called one evening in order to get to dinner on time.

You could barely get anyone on the phone at the spa. Instead I walked to the spa but 2x nobody was there. It turns out that the receptionist also gives facials so you can only catch her when she wasn't booked. On the bright side, the massages by Anna were excellent.

Positive points were that the people/staff were probably the friendliest I've ever come in contact with in the Caribbean. It was hard to even get angry with the service because they were so nice about it. Also, I don't think they know how to give exceptional service.

The beach and water was spectacular, although many chairs were ripped and just stacked in a pile. There was nobody on the beach to help like in some of the other posts I've read.

Restaurants were great especially Magnolia, Anancona and Grace's Cottage.

The island is extremely expensive. Who knows where the money is going. 20% on top of everything must be piling up somewhere. They were expanding the main road to Grace Bay and I saw 3 guys working with 1 shovel and a pick axe - at this rate, the road won't be finished for 20 years!
Breakfast came to $60 each day (coffee, juice and 2 eggs x2). Don't be shocked when you get the bill and the glass of oj you just drank was $8 (+20%tax).

One other note I've never seen. Bring a jacket or sweater. I felt like someone forgot to let me in on the secret. Most men wore long sleeved shirts or jackets and most women wore sweaters at dinner. The days were warm but the nights were quite cool.

I hope I haven't discouraged anyone from going to PG because I'm glad I did, but you should also be aware of how things are now. I think Conde Nast also needs to do another review. For exceptional service, skip this island. Next time I'm going to Cap Juluca.

Apr 5th, 2003, 03:00 AM
caribtraveler

My goodness!
Thanks for your opinion. We were thinking of going there, but I think we'll pass.
We still plan to do Tuks and Caicos, we'll just make sure we don't stay at Point Grace!
There's just something about paying a lot of money for a vacation and not getting the best service. Been there, done that.
Anything else to do on the island or is it just the beach and water?
By the way, I have friends who've done Cap Juluca and LOVED it.

Apr 5th, 2003, 03:58 AM

In Provo's defense, the tourist trade has grown extremely quickly there, and as the first poster surmised, they simply do not know how to provide good service.
The people are very eager to please, there are just not enough well-trained people on the island to staff the properties.
We found that the wait staff at many of the island's eateries were completely unprepared for a service position, but were ALWAYS friendly and helpful - with the exception of one girl at Baci. (I truly believe they had NO idea of how to proceed.)
To experience what Provo will be like in a few years service-wise, eat at Hemingways at the Sands.
We stayed there for 2 weeks in October and found the entire property - especially the restaurant - professionally run.
The manager there has built an excellent and well-trained staff that all work together as a team. (And are well-treated.) It's truly a pleasure to dine there.
Point Grace is relatively new. Sounds like they need more time to iron out the kinks.
Apr 5th, 2003, 05:31 AM
Ted

Possibly the reason point Grace's service isn't up to par with the othe condo resorts is that the condos are privately owned(like many of the resorts on Provo) but I would tend to bet that the majority of Point Grace condos are not in the rental pool. They are in the million dollar range to buy & I would bet few owners rent them out so rental "service" isn't as important as the other privately owned resort condos where the majority are rented out like the Sands, Coral Gardens, RWI & Ocean Clubs.
Apr 5th, 2003, 07:07 AM

if you want good service and luxury on grace bay beach... stay at grace bay club. we were wonderfully surprised by how amazing the service was, and we are even going back for a second trip in a month. most of the folks we met there were guests multiple times over. that tells you alot about how wonderful it is.

it isn't quite as luxurious (room wise) as point grace, but i would NEVER stay at point grace b/c of the service reviews and the very very windy location.

Grace Bay Club is a wonderful choice...
Apr 5th, 2003, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

Re Ted's reply - most of the people we spoke with were owners of oceanfront suites who visit more than once a year. The condos start at $1m. For a spring break vacation with the kids I suppose it beats the crowded Florida beaches.

Also, PG was on my list of places to visit and regardless of the experience I'm glad I went (sometimes you need to go regardless of others comments to experience it yourself). I think what I'm trying to convey is that I would prefer to spend less (at Ocean Club West or the Sands) and expect to get less. PG is the nicest resort on the island (including my limited visit to Grace Bay) but just not up to the level that I was expecting.
Apr 7th, 2003, 06:51 AM

Don't give up on Provo. I agree Point Grace is very overpriced. We have ben to Provo 13 times and the last eight have stayed at Coral Gardens. going again in June. Suite 1212 is fantastic. If you are going to Anguilla check out Frangipani on Meads Bay. Only eight condo suites. Small quiet and intimate. You could get the penthouse for what you will pay at Cap.
Apr 7th, 2003, 07:51 AM

We spent a week at the Sands ( ocean front suite) in March. We were amazed at the the friendliness of everyone associated with this place and especially Hemingways. people just bent over backwards to help you in every way possible.
Apr 7th, 2003, 01:24 PM

I am sorry you had a bad experience at Point Grace because I am one of the people speaking highly about it. It still ranks as our favorite vacation (we went two years ago) and we just got back from the Ritz Rose Hall so we have stayed at some pretty nice places. However, even the Ritz had quite a few kinks in its service (see my trip report posted last week). However, when we stayed at Pt. Grace breakfast was included every day, we stayed in the oceanview suites which I think are far superior to the cottage suites and the place was less than one year old so nothing needed to be fixed. We also had service on the beach and the prices were lower (we paid $425 a night for oceanview suite in mid-April). Of course the highlight of that trip was the fabulous beach so I probably wouldn't stay at Pt. Grace with the current rates and problems. But we loved the intimate feel of the resort and the condos were the more beautiful accomodations I have ever experienced. The previous poster was right, they are very small and perhaps do not have a lot of condos in the rental pool, so they are having difficulty operating as a resort. Larger condo resorts such as Ocean Club West and The Sands are doing it better because of their size. And I agree, the service at the restaurants on Provo was problematic because the staff have not been trained. I am sure it will improve but I really would prefer that growth not spoil the island! I would love to buy a condo there!