Most Upscale: Sands or Ocean Club West

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26th, 2003, 08:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Both of these resorts get great reviews and are around the same price. Although websites can be deceiving, Ocean Club West looks like a more upscale resort than Sands. If luxury is a priority, which resort better suits us?
Old Sep 28th, 2003, 04:25 AM

Honestly......I'd say it's a draw. I liked the pool better at OCW...but seems as though the property is a bit newer at The Sands. You'll not go wrong at either. Have fun!
Old Sep 28th, 2003, 12:15 PM

I agree with Michelle--It's probably a push. Both were built within the past three years so are relatively new. You can walk to more restaurants from OCWest than Sands. Sands is a little bigger property. Would not put either in the "Luxury" category. They are very nicely furnished and comfortable but if you're looking for luxury would look at Grace Bay Club, Point Grace, Turks and Caicos Club, Villa Renaissance. Don't know when you plan to go but Turks and Caicos Club is having a 50% off rates in Oct and Nov which is a good deal.
Old Sep 28th, 2003, 02:14 PM

I would also not put either in the upscale or luxury category.

I've stayed at the Sands, and enjoyed it very much, but I agree with Howard's assessments on the luxury properties available on the island.
Old Sep 28th, 2003, 02:30 PM

I stayed at The Sands in August and we loved it. The beach is fantastic, the pools are great, the suites are beautifully furnished. Point Grace is right next door, so we went over to have a look. Gorgeous, but VERY expensive. The Grace Bay Club is in need of refurbishment, but they are getting ready to add some new buildings, and I think they are putting all their resources into that instead of keeping up the property. The restaurant there, Anacoana, is the best on the island, so be sure to have dinner there. They have a band on Wed. and Fri. night.
Old Sep 29th, 2003, 08:35 AM

virgo839,

I am stayting at the Sands from Ottober 30th -November 5th in an OceanFront Studio.

Can you give me any suggestions or pointers? Restaurants, rooms, excursions etc..any help would be arppreciated.

Thanks!
Old Sep 29th, 2003, 12:27 PM

Be aware that there is almost nothing to do in Provo except for the beach. You can go on a snorkeling trip that they will sell you at the tour desk (expensive), but you're better off going to Smith's Reef on your own. The snorkeling is much better there, and it's free (except for the cab ride or car rental.) You can play golf, but the course is nothing special. No point in going exploring -- there's nothing to see. Just relax and enjoy the beautiful beach!
Old Sep 30th, 2003, 07:27 AM

We loved OCW! It was amazing! Went there on our honeymoon last year..Had a post if things were still as good there.! I am sure they are .......
We loved the screened in balcony at the OCW>
One drawback thoughOTS of mosquitos!! so wear the bug repellent!!
The pool was very nice, but we were in the ocean the vast majority of the time. It was Heaven on Earth. I have never seen such talcum powder like sand in my life!to die for!! the water was breathtaking. Turquoise in color doesn't even do it justice!!!
Simply beautiful!!!
Our second choice though was the Sands at Grace Bay.. We would have gone there but they didnt have a honeymoon package to our liking....so we went with OCW.(Ocean club west seems a bit more upscale and I beleive OC is the older of the two sister properties.
Maybe we will stay at the sands next time. We did go by it to peek in and it looked beautiful. You cant go wrong in the Turks!!
There isnt a whole lot to do , but if u like fun in the sun..and just relaxing,its worth it!
Try Tiki hut too. Great food!and Gecko Grille!!!!!! superb surf and turf!!
Old Sep 30th, 2003, 09:54 AM

We stayed at The Sands for a week in August. Luxury. Not really. But great location, restaurant, beach and grounds (pool and landscaping). Plus free hobbie cats, kayaks, wind surfer and snorkel gear. Don't know about OCW, but The Sands was wonderful. If you want luxury, I think you need to pick another resort besides The Sands and OCW. Many are already mentioned here.
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your help. We have booked a trip to the Turks & Caicos Club. Looks wonderful!!
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 01:11 PM

Julie,

You will Love the T&C CLub... we toured
it while there in August and it is a beautiful property. Plus you are only a five minute walk to the Whitehouse Reef in front of Coral Gardens. Isn't it great to have that decison behind you and be able to look forward to a fantastic vacation

ML
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 06:05 PM

Well personally I don't get some of these responses about "luxury" - or more precisely how the Sands and OCW aren't "luxury" properties. I guess it depends on your definition.

If your definiton of luxury is strictly white glove, red leather, marble from floor to ceiling, with scads and scads of details that really don't amount to much (like chocolates on the pillows and logo imprints in the lobby ashtrays) then that is correct - these properties are none of that.

But if your definiton of luxury is wide enough to striate different categories of vacation property, then I argue that these certainly are luxury properties within their class. If you include in your definiton of luxury having very well appointed rooms, impeccible housekeeping (dishes and all), a TON of space, a giant balcony, beautiful and well-groomed grounds, and of course the required bar/restaurant, pools, fantastic beach, and spa facility, etc. then you won't be disappointed.

Remember, though, these are a different class of property. It isn't supposed to be the Four Seasons Nevis. They are condo/villa style properties - full apartment units with full kitchens, separate bedroom(s), and laundry - but with many resort services as well like a concierge, watersports, etc.

BTW - the Sands and OCW are similar, but my vote goes for the Sands.
Old Oct 3rd, 2003, 04:09 AM

DAVECAROL,

The op said luxury was a priority.

I have stayed at a lot of properties, and I would not classify the Sands as in the luxury category. That's only my opinion. I said I enjoyed the Sands very much, and I would definitely go back.

Here are some things (that in my mind anyway) qualify a property as luxury - and they go a long way past "chocolate on a pillow."

* Top of the line bath and bed linens

* Orginal art and/or unique top quality room furnishings

* Quick, friendly professional check-in and out and bell service

* Knowledgeable, available concierge service

* Multiple dining options with differing levels of formality

* Bar/s with top of the line liquor availablity

* Pool and beach furniture that is comfortable, well-maintained and plentiful

* Friendly, helpful wait, room, dining, bar and grounds staff

* Room amenities such as well-stocked minibar, luxury toiletries, coffee makers with gourmet coffees - or better yet - complimentary morning coffee or tea delivered to the room

* Personal attention

I could go on and on...

The last one is one of the most important. I have stayed at several Ritz Carltons. At each one, upon check in, almost everyone I encountered during my stay addressed me by name and went out of their way to make a pleasant stay to the point it was almost overwhelming.

At the Four Seasons Nevis, the beach personnel had a pavilion on the beachfront. The moment we stepped onto the beach, they sprang into action and grabbed fluffy towels, a beach umbrella and cool facial towels. They set up our chairs with two plush towels apiece - arranged so they would not blow off and for maximum comfort - set up our umbrella, and periodically (and without being asked) brought us ice cold Evian, spritzed our faces with cool water and gave us icy towels to cool ourselves with.

After staying at places like that, which are billed as luxury, you can see why some people may not find the Sands - while a delightful property - as fitting into the "luxury" category.

It's all a matter of personal perception...

Old Oct 7th, 2003, 11:03 AM

Hi Diana,

do you have any input on The Sands...as to which floor to request, we are staying in an Ocean Front Studio...I just want to make sure our trip is perfect as is it is our birthdays and we were very disappointed with our last vacation in January which was to Sandals Montego Bay (horrible) so I would love to have pointers, reccomendations etc....should we rent a car for a day or two to see the sites (i know there are few), we would also love a cool bar setting on the beach maybe one night. any input on a trip to the Sands and Turks woulf be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Old Oct 7th, 2003, 03:37 PM

Hi Belle,

Definitely get the third floor - better view and quieter. We actually took the chairs off the balcony and put them out on the third floor patio outside the door to the room and had a bottle of wine under the stars.

We could hear music wafting through the air and the breeze and palms rustling were heavenly!

Must rent a car as taxis get VERY expensive after awhile. The Sands has a cute little bar and a good restaurant.

We went all over the place, and there are really some excellent dining choices.

As far as beach bars go, there really are not many. The Shark Bite is at the marina and is fun. Sodax is a local sports bar that is usually hopping with live music a night or two each week. Not many tourists go there - if you like to mingle with locals (as we do).

Friday nights at Barefoot Cafe in Ports of Call is fun with a live reggae/dance hall band.

Because the island is small and beachfront property is VERY valuable, there are not many beachfront bars like on many islands. But, there is ALWAYS something that can be found to do.

It is a wonderful, relaxing and beautiful island, and you will not go wrong by staying at the Sands. Have a great time!
Old Oct 8th, 2003, 07:42 AM

Hi Diana,

Thank you so much for your helpful input. Do you think we should rent a car for the whole stay 6 nights 7 days or just a few days?
Thanks!
Old Oct 8th, 2003, 07:51 AM

I think it depends on when you are going.
If you go during off-season, you can get a better rate than high.
Or, you could rent a car when you get there and decide if you want to keep it the whole time.
Or, you could spend the first couple days without it and see how it goes.
We were there for 2 weeks and had the car most of that time because we like to go exploring all over.
I think to a large degree it will depend on whether you think you'll want to spend most of the time vegging out on the gorgeous beach with a frosty drink, or checking out the (few) sights, or if you'll eat most meal at the Sands.
For 7 nights, I think a car for 3 days would probably be enough.