Parrot Caye worth the $$

Nov 19th, 2004, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

Parrot Caye worth the $$

We are thinking of spending our honeymoon in May 2005 at Parrot Caye. I have read some mixed reviews on their service being slow and the resort, as a whole, being over-rated.

Since we would be spending quiet a lot of money to go there, we're a bit nervous.

Can anyone offer their opinion from experience?
Nov 29th, 2004, 12:54 PM

Hi:

We went to Parrot Cay in 2000. The resort was lovely, but way over priced and yes overrated! The beach was nice, white sand, blue water, typical Carribbean island look. The staff was also nice, the 2nd day we where there, they were addressing us by Mr.& Mrs....... so they do make an effort to remember your name. I believe the staff/guest ratio is 3 to 1. If you do not want to spend a $100.00 you need to stay on the island....you can take a boat into town. We have been to Anguilla and prefer that island. Maybe other places in Turks are nice and not that expensive. Also for the price, the rooms were really just ok! We paid over 800.00 a night!!!
Dec 2nd, 2004, 06:18 AM
Original Poster

That is what I have been reading... Thank you for confirming it.

Maybe some day we will check it out, however we have decided to head to Antigua and Barbuda.

One place that is similar to Parrot Cay and worth every penny is Cayo Espanto in Belize - no restaurant, private butler and AMAZING rooms... www.aprivateisland.com You should take a look!

Thanks again!
Feb 16th, 2005, 12:57 PM

I am really getting confused. My husband had wanted to go to Belize but I could not find accommodations. He wants to scuba I want the most beautiful beach and water with long ocean walks. So then I thought T&C at Grace Bay. But then I am reading about all the construction at Grace Bay and when I called to inquire about availability and price they were positively rude and not helpful. Now I see this post about Cay Esperanto. I looked it up. I mean, really expensive. Are there enough people at the resort to not feel self conscious? Did you actually go there and was it worth it? The scuba sounds fabulous for my husband...what about the beach, water, and long walks on the beach??? Are there any other high end Belize resorts? Really appreciate the input about parrot cay.
Feb 18th, 2005, 03:02 PM

How about the Meridian Club in the T&C. We were there in January and it was great!
Feb 18th, 2005, 03:21 PM

I know that this post may upset some folks, but here goes...

We have been traveling to the Caribbean for about 14 years, and have been fortunate to go to most of the well-known Caribbean islands - sometimes nore than once - and many of the lesser-known ones as well.

When we first started going, I thought it was important ot stay at only the very best properties, and have only the finest luxury experiences.

We have stayed at many of the four and five star properties including Four Seasons Nevis, Cap Juluca, Ladera, etc.

Over the years, I began to notice that on the same beach, with rooms at much less cost, with restaurants that in many cases were better but much less expensive, were other hotels and resorts that were smaller and more intimate which offered a more genuine and authetic island experience where there were locals that were fascinating as opposed to the kind of people whose only interest is what you do or what kind of car you drive.

It came to pass that we found ourselves drawn to these other places as opposed to the "upper crusty" places that Conde Nast told us we should frequent.

SO, my point is... pick an island that appeals to you and then pick a resort that speaks to you. Don't worry about how expensive it is. DO look at tripadvisor.com and get a feel for the place - I've found it to be rarely wrong.

Good luck and don't worry. Once you arrive in the Caribbean with your beloved, the sun and the sand and the intoxicating beauty of the islands will take care of the rest.