OCW or Royal West Indies?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2006, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This will be our second time to the Turks and Caicos (first time was our honeymoon in 2002). We now have twins (boy/girl)who are almost 18 mo. old. I know we will be limited in things to do but as for hotels to pick...We have already stayed at OCean club west which was excellent but was thinking about staying at ZRoyal West Indies since it looks nice too (suite with kitchen etc)..
Does ZRoyal west have screened porches or not? I know the bugs are terrible at night! and I always got bit at night (yet my husband didn't):/!I just want somewhere to relax after we put the kids down at night and just want to kick back..........
Should I try something different and go to Royal West? or stick with somewhere I am familar with?
Anyone been to Royal west indies resort recently? thanks for any help!!
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 10:20 AM

We stayed at the Sands Resort in a first floor one bedroom deluxe suite next to the pool, It had a screened in balcony and a door to walk right out to the pool and beach. I loved the convenience of the first floor unit, it was also very close to the baby pool.
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 01:56 PM

Just returned from RWI and no screened porches. However, we didn't have a problem with mosquitos. Had a few but not bad at all. However, we were in building 1 which faces the ocean and I think the buildings in the garden area are probably full of bugs as we were bitten carrying our bags from the car to the room. No worse than anywhere else I would imagine. We wondered if the misters we saw at dinner at The Sands had the bug spray in it as we had no problems at dinner there.

We liked having a kitchenette in our room and I could see that as being a plus having 2 small ones with you.

Old Jul 9th, 2006, 02:29 PM

Stayed at the RWI for the past 2 years. Most of the people were couples or people traveling with older children. Ocean Club West is probably the best choice with children.
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 04:40 AM

I would receommend RWI. We stayed there in late April with our 1 year old daughter. We loved it. The units are wonderful as are the grounds, restaurant and beach. It looked nicer than OCW in my opinion. We almost chose OCW but I'm glad we went with RWI instead.

Sands also looks like a good choice...the location is great.
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

thanks Kristen!

I think we are going with Royal West Indies (we book the last minute since my husband works for the airlines and we are waiting til last minute to get on a flight etc )Since we already went to OCW it is probably time for something new! I will keep u all posted ! thanks again!!
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 06:13 AM

one more thing...not sure if OCW offered thsi or not, but at RWI, they provide all the sand toys your kids could want! plus kayaks, hobie cats and bikes...
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 07:07 PM

RWI is great. We stayed Nov. 2005 and are headed back in Nov. 2006 for a longer stay. Both times in Building 1 facing the beach. We were also concerned about bugs and brought tons of spray since the porches are not screened. I don't think I had more than a few bites in one week. Not sure if we got lucky with the weather, or the winds from the water, or the time of year - I just don't know. We're packing bug spray for the trip starting next week but hoping, as before, that we won't need it.
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 06:11 AM

I think we will be going to RWI in April 07. How far out did you guys book? I'm about 6 months out. I wonder if I could get a better deal if i waited? the condo i'm looking at is in building 2. would that work? thanks
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 07:37 AM

tewels: April is peak season, so deals may not be easy to find. However, 6 months is too far out, wait until 3-4 months and keep checking.