Reload this Page >

Now I'm confused....Which beach nicer: puerto cana or varedera, cuba

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 08:13 AM
sue

I read that puerta cana rated # 1 beach in some magazine and read nice reviews about beaches and water; now i read that varadera nicer beach; anybody been to both??? Want the white powder sand and turquoise colored water! Thanks

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 08:53 AM
pam

I think the white powdery sand and turquoise water is easily found almost anywhere. T&C I think is nicer than Punta Cana. I cannot comment on Cuba. I did stay in Punta Cana in the month of Feb. There was a lot of sea weed. I was not so impressed with Punta Cana's beaches as some. (just my opinion.) Some of the best beaches I have been to are in Mexico. Cancun, PLC.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 01:33 PM
Jane

Sue, I've been to Mexico, Mayan Riviera/Cancun and Punta Cana and I can tell you without a doubt that Punta Cana beaches are far superior. We toured up and down the Punta Cana coast and never saw any really weedy parts...most are absolutely weed free and stunningly beautiful!! In fact, the Punta Cana beaches are listed in the top 10 beaches in the world!! The beach in Veradero, Cuba, is extremely nice but you do have to be a bit more picky about timing to go there because it can be quite cool in December/January time frame. It's only 70 miles off the coast of Florida and gets the same weather patterns. By the way, it's PUNTA CANA. You might get confused because there is a beach area in the DR called Puerto Plata but it's not nearly as nice as PUNTA CANA.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 02:04 PM
sue

HI, thanks for the replies. yes sorry i meant punta cana (my mind is in puerta vallarta today). Pam says lots of sea weed, but that is the first time i have read of that, maybe in one particular place on beach?

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 02:53 PM
kodi

Varadero gets my vote! I love the beach there. We walked all along the beautiful beach every day, stopping at different hotels when we needed refreshments. ALthough I did like the beaches at Punta Cana, I found that we couldn't go for long walks there. the resorts seemed too far apart and the beach wasn't 'cleaned' between resorts.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 05:57 PM
Anon

Look I asked my travel agent which was the Better choice and for Canadians it is Varadero. Varadero is very laid back with none of the beach vendoring, timesharing, begging hustling of Mexico Resorts. It is very very popular and people who have gone have returned with great reviews.<BR><BR>check these out for prices.<BR>www.airtransatholidays.com<BR>www.signa turevacations.ca<BR>www.sunquest.ca<BR><BR>

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 02:41 AM
pam

Sue, please go to debbiesdominicantravel.com There are current reviews of resorts etc. There is a recent one whose comments were pertaining to the seaweed on the beach. It is under Natura park. Perhaps it is just that stretch that the sea weed.

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 07:16 AM
BILL

ANON,<BR> First mistake, was asking your travel agent.Ninety percent of them, have never visited these countries and their knowledge is found in the glossy magazines and brochures that we as consumers,have at our disposal.This web site (FODORS) can give you far superior information.<BR> If you have found a great travel agent, please hang onto him or her, because she is worth her weight in gold.Their industry is poorly regulated and anyone can call themselves an agent.<BR> Thank GOD, for the internet.Do your reseach,from evrey angle,ask questions, verify the answers,and only then allow the agent to book it.Travel agencies must, in most provinces and states carry insurance that protect the consumer against tour com. going bankrupt etc.

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 06:32 PM
kelly

So about Catalonia in Punta Cana, is there seaweed or isn't there. I mean this could make or break my vacation. If there is seaweed, I'll be going to Cuba.<BR><BR>Thanks Folks.<BR><BR>Kelly

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 06:18 AM
Karen

HI: we just got back from Punta Cana, the Occidental Falmenco on Bavaro Beach. I can not imagine how much seaweed on a beach there would have to be in order for me not to go to Punta Cana, however, we saw a minimum amount. Have to admit that I was not up before the beach cleanup crew so have no idea what amount was cleaned up. We visited many stretches of this glorious beach and seaweed was not prevolent. Also saying that they liked walking the beach in Cuba better because in Punta Cana the resorts were to far apart seems very odd. You would think that having less resort areas(people, lounge chairs, garbage) would be somewhat an advantage for a beach walker looking to get a way from the crowds at the resorts? Having been to many beautiful beaches I would suggest that what sets Punta Cana apart is the beach setting not the water. Much of the Caribbean has beautiful turquise colored water. However, it is the Palm fringed beach areas that seem to go on for ever that are spectacular. These palm groves are stunning and they are right at the beach. When you are at your resort you look down the cresant of beach and you just want to walk to find out were the beach ends. You walk to the end of the cresant and low and behold it starts all over again. I would say that the pictures I saw in travel brochures of the beaches of Punta Cana had set my expectations pretty high and in reality my expectations were exceeded. Have a good vacation.Karen

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 11:57 AM
moi

It depends on which part of the beach you stay at.Yes , Natura Park resort beach is full of seaweed, so are those nearby next to it...Catalonia ,Sunscape, Alegro...but further north ,the stretch of beach there is nice, calm, clean ,and turqoise blue ,mix with emarld green , variety colors..typical Caribbean Beach . You'll love it!( the northern end beaches have rough waves sometimes though , just stay right in the middle -Bavaro beach , the sand there is the softest also- powdery white but as you get close to the water ,you'll see some pinkish colored sand too.Just beautiful.

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 12:01 PM
geta

Further to Anon-your T.A. is wrong that canadians prefer Varadero and WRONG that is the best choice!. I have been there and wouldn't return. However I have been to D.R. and WOULD return. Get a new agent .

Old Jan 4th, 2010, 06:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no question, been to both....its easily punta cana