Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Dominican Republic/Caribbean for non swimmer.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A friend of mine would like to escape from the winter weather later this winter. She has asked me if I'd join her on a trip to the Dominican Republic. I do not swim and going to a beach resort is not my idea of a holiday. I was in Cancun, Mexico for a few days recently and I was able to visit the Mayan ruins, and participate in adventure activities. I cannot imagine the DR having much to offer a non swimmer. Please let me know what there is to see and do for a week in the DR? I would like to visit Santo Domingo, but that is the only thing that appeals to me. Which area(s) of the DR are best for non swimmers? Any advice would be appreciated.

Which other Caribbean islands are worth visiting for a non swimmer?

Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 16th, 2009, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

Forgot to add...My friend is looking at a hotel in Don Juilo, for the trip. What is there in this area? I'm not sure if there's anything I can do when she enjoys the beach and swimming pool at the hotel.
Old Dec 16th, 2009, 05:00 PM

My favorite thing to do in the Dominican is attend baseball games. If you're there during the winter, the Caribbean Winter League will be in full swing with many major league players participating.

Best,
lisa

P.S. It's none of my business but I'm curious as someone who loves the water - why don't you swim?
Old Dec 16th, 2009, 05:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Lisa for the feedback. I did learn to swim, but never did care for it. I didn't grow up near the ocean, or near swimming pools, etc. I think this makes a difference. I can't even remember the last time I did go swimming, I think it was in high school. Haven't been in the pool/ocean since then.

I love to travel, and I've never taken a beach vacation, all my trips have been to visit friends/family or historic and cultural sights. I was recently in Mexico, and I am surprised I was not the only non swimmer there. There was plenty for me to do. Just don't want to find myself board in the DR or elsewhere.
Old Dec 16th, 2009, 05:27 PM

Germanblonde,

Thanks for the reply. I guess a lot has to do with how you're brought up. For instance, no one in my family ever hunted or fished so I can't imagine doing that.

Santo Domingo is great for cultural/historic stuff. You can hire a govt.-approved guide very cheaply and I find the old part of he city fascinating. One of the things I like about the DR is that it seems real - you see the good and the bad and meet all kinds of people. Unless you stay in a fancy resort away from the city - UGHH, IMO.

Best,
lisa
Old Dec 30th, 2009, 09:39 AM

Santo Domingo is really nice, I love going there to see the history. The you can go horse back riding, ATV excursions, island boat excursion where you don't have to snorkel or swim. Safari truck excursion to see the local villages. In one week you can keep yourself busy doing different stuff if you don't want to spend it on the beach.
I am not sure if Juan Dolio is a good location for you. If your friend likes water, that area is not the greatest for that. Punta Cana is great, but mostly for people who like to spend most of the time on the beach at a AI resort. I would suggest either north coast - Cabarete, lots of life for young people, but by Atlantis ocean, so the water is not very calm. Or south coast by the Caribbean sea, Bayahibe / Dominicus area (close to La Romana, 1/2 way between Santo Domingo and Punta Cana. NIce calm water, close to real Dominican life to see the non touristy life, independent hotels or AI resorts there too.
Denise
Old Jan 4th, 2010, 07:11 PM

In Juan Dolio, you can spend time at the beach and not
go into the water. If you stay in an all inclusive, then you
can drink all day long and not go into the water
You can take a day trip to Santo Domingo to see all the monuments and shop( haggle, haggle). You can also take a
good life vest with you and not worry about being able to
swim, but just float around. we
take our vests and snorkelling gear everywhere. I aint a
great swimmer, but having our own gear has helped me go into
deeper waters without any worry about my swimming ability.