Search

Quick Question: Why is Puerto Plata, DR so much cheaper than Punta Cana, DR

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15th, 2005, 07:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quick Question: Why is Puerto Plata, DR so much cheaper than Punta Cana, DR

Hi,

I've just been given the green light to plan a long wknd (4 nt/5 day) trip to a beach locale. I'm thinking someplace in DR b/c it's so inexpensive and easy to get there.

In my very brief research I've already discovered that Punta Cana is significantly more expensive than Puerto Plata. Does anyone know why? Unless I've missed something, both places look pretty similar so I just want to know if I did in fact miss something (probably something relating to puerto plata being less desirable than punta cana)?

also, does anyone have any experiences w/iberostar costa dorado? it's an al, which we've never done, but for this short of trip and the budget it will be easier this way. i'm a little hesitant, but the tripadvisor reviews look very positive. for punta cana, secrets excellence looks really nice but like i said its about $800 more for such a short amount of time.

Please help me see the light! Thanks!
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

anyone please
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 09:51 AM

Puerto Plata is cheaper because 1) it's near the back-packer oriented areas of the north coast; 2) most of the resorts there are older than those in Punta Cana; 3) Punta Cana has better marketing and an airport that is privately owned; and 4) therefore, the law of supply and demand.

I think Iberostar has a great product, and I love their other resorts. I haven't been to the one at Costa Dorada, but they do have remarkably consistent resorts. Secrets Excellence is more expensive because it's more upscale. It's as smple as that. But even the Iberostar resorts in Punta Cana are a bit more expensive than Costa Dorada. I can't speak to the beaches at the Puerto Plata resorts, but the beaches in Punta Cana are outstanding.
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 06:03 PM
Original Poster

Great, thanks for the info. I've seen pictures of both area's beaches and Punta Cana's do seem more beautiful.
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 10:28 AM

Sorry, we have been to Santo Domingo (no beaches), Puerta Plata, Punta Cana and La Romana.. and I'd do anything to avoid Puerta Plata. The weather is rainier, the beaches defintely aren't the best. My favorite area is La Romana.. Punta Cana is good and depending on which resort.. Sunscape the Beach and Secrets is too far from the airport. Also, in Puerta Vallarta and Punta Cana the water on the cool side and rough sude...especially if your thinking of going the beginning of the year. We are going for the 4th time to Sunscape Casa Del Mar, gorgeous little beach, a walk along the lovely beach to go into the little town and take a bus to La Romana. It only IB we have gone to is in Mexico and it was not a pleasant experience so I'm not ready to try one in the D.R. although I've heard the RIU are great
Old Nov 18th, 2005, 05:55 PM

I stayed in Puerto Plata last March and while I had a wonderful, relaxing week with my mother and 9 year old son in our all inclusive hotel I think I can answer why Punta Cana is more expensive. If you are looking for a gorgeous white sand carribean beach Puerto Plata is not your place. The beach is on the Atlantic, brown sand, and not particularly clean. I have heard that Punta Cana is a much more lovely beach. Still we enjoyed our walks along the beach, lounging by the pool, our sunset horseback ride, lovely snorkel tour, and 1/2 day of shopping in town. And at $500 for a week vs. over $1000 for Punta Cana I personally could give up a little white sand. It all depends on what you consider an ideal vacation.

Have a wonderful time.
Old Nov 18th, 2005, 07:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks mom929. Looking at some of the pictures from both areas I started to figure out that the major difference was the beach quality.
Old Nov 20th, 2005, 10:08 AM

I have been to Punta Cana and Puerto Plata, and I actually liked Puerto Plata better-all the resorts are in a gated "community", and so you can actually go from one resort to another and go to the different bars/discos that the other resorts offer. In Punta Cana, I felt like we were stuck at our one resort with no where to go.
Hope that helps, have fun!
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 12:15 PM

Hi:
I've been to the Iberostar Costa Dorada about 3 years ago. It was terrific! The staff, the food, the pool..all really, really great. Plenty of palapas for shade if you don't want all sun.

The beach was a little less desirablbe, but ok. We spent most of our time by the pool.

Depends on what you want. We've also been to Iberostar Dominicana in Punta Cana and the beach was definitely better, but all a LOT more crowded.

If you want AI, you cannot go wrong with any Iberstar.

For the price, Puerto Plata was definitely worth it. It was $500 less than Punta Cana per person for the week...

If you want beach..Punta Cana
If you want pool and perhaps some beach, but better value,...I'd go with Puerto Plata.
Good luck.