Puerta Plata - is it that bad??

Sep 11th, 2003, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

Puerta Plata - is it that bad??

I notice some great hotel deals out there for Puerta Plata, what's the scoop? I hear the beaches aren't exactly the best....that would be tough for me to deal with.
Sep 13th, 2003, 06:32 AM
RW

Well, I asked this same question before I went to Puerto Plata a couple weeks ago. The beaches are pretty small -- don't expect the beaches at Aruba or Hawaii, for example. But this didn't bother me at all. I will say this about Puerto Plata: there really isn't much to do outside of the complex.
Sep 14th, 2003, 07:38 AM

I was in Punta Cana last week, my agent said it's more upscale there. Well to be honest NO WHERE in the Dominican Rep. is upscale, and the beach was not fantastic in Punta Cana either, I am sure Puerto Plata will be fine, I just think that Punta Cana may be experiencing a boost of new hotels being developed etc., however there is NOTHING to do in Punta Cana, at least with Puerto Plata you are close to Sousua (a small town) etc...

I think that it's all expectation, I am sure the beach in Puerto Plata won't be that bad. So far the best beach I've been to is Varadero in Cuba.

Hope this helps.
Sep 14th, 2003, 03:24 PM

Puerta Plata and Sousa are north and appear to have a different climate...we found it rained more often.. and we prefer Punta Cana or La Romana..
Sep 17th, 2003, 05:31 AM

We went to Porto Plata last Christmas and stayed at the Grand Ventana, a beautiful Hotel that was all inclusive and had wonderful food and a georgeous pool. However, the beach was not nice at all. I found it to be rocky, small, the sand was always wet and vendors were so numerous that it made the beach that much more crowded. I hear that Punta Cana is better, but not the best either. I loved the DR, but would not return because I love beautiful caribbean beaches and feel that the DR does not have them.
Sep 17th, 2003, 08:09 AM
me

Beaches in Puerto Plata are nice enough to swim but do have golden brown sand , not white powdery sand as you expected of the Caribbeans , however the nearby Sousua does have better beaches , and an hour (?) East of Puerto Plata -Playa Grande is very nice , white sand , vast , with some big waves though ! Just don't get the all-incl deal so you can venture out and enjoy these areas. Punta Cana do have great "Caribbean beaches" - depend on which resort you stay at - their beachfronts are varied .
Sep 20th, 2003, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info.....any preferences for an AI in that area?? Would you choose one over the other?? Why?