Search

Nevis FS

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16th, 2003, 06:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nevis FS

My husband and I are considering going to Nevis FS for a few nights in January 04. We've never stayed at a FS and I've been reading quite mixed reviews which suprises me for such an expensive and well known luxury resort. I hesitate to spend the money to stay there and be disappointed. Any thoughts on the FS or another place to stay? We are finally getting away without kids and need some peace and pampering. Thanks.
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 04:22 AM

ljd05,

You bring up an interesting question...

I have stayed at FS Nevis, and while I enjoyed it immensely and found the service to be absoutely top notch, there were things about it that would keep me from going back.

We travel to the Caribbean frequently, and have found that we like to feel we are getting a good value for our money.

We did not feel that was the case at FS. For instance, the food there was some of the most expensive we've found anywhere, and we were disappointed with almost every meal. So much so that we began eating very meal other than breakfast away from the resort.

If money is no object, and you really want to go to Nevis, or if you simply must have a spa or a golf course at your resort, then FS is the place for you.

You would be going near the height of high season, so prices will be at their highest, and any resort at is busiest.

I wouldn't sy that we were really disappointed with FS, but for the money, I would not stay there again.

Let me know what else you are looking for as far as sights or activities, and I'll be glad to give you my suggestions.
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 04:46 AM

I have to agree with Diana. The service was impeccable, but the food was disappointing. I live in NYC, and can find higher quality fare on any block in the city at 1/2 the price.

My other disappointment was the more formal atmosphere and pretentious guests. I like to be pampered, but I don't like to dressed for it while I'm on vacation. AND I don't need to listen to guests toot their own horn. I met too many people who couldn't stop the "networking" and business talk. (I'm there for a vacation, don't need to talk shop)

If you're getting away from you kids, you may want to rethink. There were plenty of precocious kids there while I was there in May. Even in the dining rooms.

I'm heading to FS in Exuma for Valentines Day, hope this one is more laid back.

If money is no object, you may look into Pink Sands or Kamalame Cay in the bahamas outislands. Kamalame is laid back luxury. You can find them at. islandoutpost.com

Old Nov 17th, 2003, 06:00 AM

I really have to laugh tamara

We also had a problem with the pretentiousness of the guests - especially when sitting around the pool.

It was all about "what do you do, where do you live, what do you drive, yadayadayada." I joked to my husband at Sunshine's after a couple of Killer Bees that I was going to start telling people we were in the "adult film business" (we're not, of course) just to see the expressions on their faces.

One of the guys who works on the golf course got into a conversation with my DH about the "attitude" of some of the guests, and he told a story about how there was a great big brouhaha one Christmas holiday.

He said 2 ladies were lying out at the pool trying to outdo one another with how much they paid for their FS accommodations (I guess they were staying at villas). When one of them found out she was not paying the MOST of anyone staying there, she went ballistic and demanded to speak to the manager.

Of course, I don't know if the story is true or not, but based on what I saw and heard, I wouldn't be surprised!

Old Nov 19th, 2003, 02:46 PM

Yea, we were there in late Sept./early Oct. and I think it is the more formal atmosphere in the dining room and in the way the staff is formal/business like that brings out the competitive and not as relaxed as one would like to be in the Caribbean attitude. There were a few guests that were loud and arrogant (especially when drinking)- they spent discussion time bragging anf talking about those shallow things - you know... but, more than that- there were some really down to earth guests that were pleasant when you made eye contact or passed paths- they smiled and chatted a bit. There were a few uppidity guests- but, we steered clear of them since they could get annoying at dinner and when your pool or beach chair was next to them. They did not ruin it for us. Again, I think that is anywhere you go and it's a just a reminder for all of us to use our manners
Old Nov 19th, 2003, 02:47 PM

Also, forgot to say- I recommend FSNevis without reservation- we had an amazing time and the service, food, accomodations and beach were all truly wonderful and more than we hoped for!
Old Nov 26th, 2003, 11:31 AM

Try St. Kitts and Ottley's Plantation.
Exceptional accomodations (get a villa w/plunge pool) prices are cheaper and the restaurant is the best on the island. We went there in July for our honeymoon and it was spectacular. With only 24 rooms you will feel like the only ones there. Staff is great!
Old Nov 26th, 2003, 02:53 PM

My husband and I went last year for our honeymoon. We found it to be totally low key. People just left you alone. It was not pretentious or snobby in our experience at all. The service was unbelievable, the bathroom and views great. We couldn't have asked for a better time.
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 07:40 AM
SusanBL

We have visited Nevis seven years in a row. We've never stayed at the FS but understand that the service is superb. I wouldn't go for the full meal plan because the food isn't the greatest and there are so many other choices. Sunshines, adjacent to the FS has the best food on the island. Have fun!

Old Jan 19th, 2004, 12:44 PM

I did not stay at the FS, but had drinks and dinner - last March. Although my dinner was excellent (lamb), my companions' was not and the service was incredibly poor. Not sure if this is because we weren't staying at the resort or because we are two women, but I was very disappointed after all I had heard/read about FS.

As for alternatives on Nevis, there are several smaller plantation style inns that are quite nice/upscale - vary depending on what you are looking for. We stayed at Oualie Beach - not upscale like FS, but good sized, clean and on the beach - they have an on site dive shop (that's why we were there) and have kayaks and offer wind sufing as well. They also have a nice restaurant w/local specialties (and yes service can be slow - it is "island time" - but more expected from a place like this than from the FS)

In my travels of the island - I liked the Nisbet Plantation the best - it combine the small/quantness of plantation, but is also right on the ocean. Many of the others - Montpelier, Hermitage, Mount Nevis, Golden Rock etc. are not on the beach and you need a car ride to get there.

As for restaurants - there were lots of good eats on Nevis. Sunshines, which is the beach bar/restaurant next to the FS, is laid back and has execellent barbeque/grilled lobsters and fruity drinks!. Also loved the lobster sandwich next door (just down the beach) at the Golden Rock's lunch spot. We had lunch and dinner at the Nisbet, lunch was less formal, served out by the ocean - which I loved. Dinner was much more formal - in the main house - and was a little heavy for my taste.

Good luck.