Bitter End Yacht Club-yes or no?

Jul 3rd, 2007, 05:56 PM
Original Poster

Bitter End Yacht Club-yes or no?

Has anyone been or heard good things about the Bitter End Yacht Club, Virgin Gorda that is in the BVI's? I have two teens 13 and 17 one likes parties and one likes sports. husband and I dont really sail but both the kids and us would love to learn. We are used to larger stereotypical resorts such as beaches ect. and are looking for something new. The part that im not sold on about this resort is that it seems to be rather small an enviromentaly oreinted. Anyways what im trying to ask is wether or not you can take the boats and explore other islands and if there will be other teens there. Oh and how is the food and drink service and is there any golf nearby and do they have a tennis court?
If anyone can help it would be appreciated!!!!
Jul 3rd, 2007, 05:57 PM
Original Poster

Sorry me again forgot to say that we were planning to go in the middle of Aug.
Jul 3rd, 2007, 07:57 PM

Why don't you look for a land/sea combo trip. You may be able to get one through the Bitter End or through the Moorings. Bitter end used to have a 2 night boat trip option. I have stopped by the bitter end several times while on bareboat trips in the BVI's. It's a nice resort, but I don't think you are going to get lots of parties and action. The BVI's are actually quite quiet in August, but there are still plenty of people around. I would doubt that there is golf nearby, but I could be wrong. Your teens would love a crewed yacht vacation on a catamaran. We have not been in a few years as we can't get away from our little ones long enough for a sailing trip, but it is my favorite type of vacation as it is so relaxing and you get to see and do so many different things that you would never do by staying just on a resort. We can't wait till our kids are old enough to do a sailing trip. Hope this helps a little.
Jul 4th, 2007, 07:00 AM

I'm sorry, but how can you be "not sold" on a resort that is "enviromentaly oreinted [sic]?" What about helping preserve and maintain the environment bothers you exactly? It's a resort that's trying to be environmentally responsible by minimizing its footprint. If you really do feel that way about it, you're better off sticking to larger resorts that don't give a hoot about wasting water or dumping sewarage in the bays or any other *radical* things one can do to in the name of environmental protection.

Now, perhaps that's not at all what you meant in your objections to BEYC? Maybe you should explain what you mean and we can put your fears to rest. You won't have to use a composting toilet, for example, but you might be asked to consider not having your sheets washed every day. You might be asked not to waste water, or to be mindful of electricity usage. But wouldn't you do these things at home anyway when *you* are the one paying for them?

I don't believe there is a golf course on Virgin Gorda. If that's important to you, look elsewhere.

Jul 4th, 2007, 08:03 AM

My husband and I took our children, 28 and 23, to the BEYC last year to celebrate our 35th anniversary. We are all sailors and had moored in the BEYC field during past sailing vacations. We are not really fond of totally land-based vacations, but this was a terrific compromise. It was also one of the best, most relaxing vacations we have had. Our hope is to celebrate our 40th there. The BEYC is totally laid-back, service is very good, food is plentiful (not gourmet, but good) and the surroundings are beautiful. I highly recommend going- yes, it is small and environmentally oriented. The rooms have the same amenities as any hotel room, only island-style and individualized. Great porches with a hammock to watch the world go by, large bedrooms, large dressing area with sinks, large bathrooms. There is no golf course in the BVI, and no tennis courts that I remember. Check the resort website. I would suggest that you try for some of the remodeled suites- I believe we stayed in cottage 14 or 16. You can call the resort reservation center and ask. And, by the way, sailing is a wonderful family sport.
Jul 4th, 2007, 02:23 PM

We visited the resort 2 times twice for lunch i 2006 andin 2004 and walked around for an hour or so each time. We did not like it unless you have your own boat or are willng to spend $1000/day to rent a 35-40ft. sail boat. The food was not especially good at lunch and folks staying there said dinners were not pleased. They said they went to Biras 1 or 2 times while at Bitter End for dinner and had very good meals though expensive for non-guests. If your into snorkeling the only quality place is the Baths and that is worth doing once for 2 hours and maybe 2 or so other adequate places for 1 hour each but that is it. The Moorings is a good suggestion. Renting a a 2=45-50ft. boat with captain and cook (an extra ($125+/-) and go from Tortola to St. John for a full day and then 4-5 of the B.V. I.'s is a great idea for a 6 day rental though a little exoensive. We dod it twive, once in the Virgin Islands and once in the Grenadines and enjoyed both trips. The only problem with August is the realk possibility is hitting a tropical depression if not a hurricane. On land that's a wash out 24-36 hrs. on a sail boat it means moorig up in a cove and waiting it out and that can be pretty boring I imagine especially with 2 teens.
Jul 4th, 2007, 03:10 PM

Not one of my favorite places since it seems busy and commercial compared to other places on Virgin Gorda but it is a great spot for sailing and sailing lessons - especially for kids. The food is medicore at best. There are spots that are okay for snorkeling nearby and it is handy for things like the sail to Yost or even just putting about North Sound. August is still pretty "safe" as far as hurricanes go - Cape Verde hasn't kicked up quite yet - but hurricanes don't check calendars and the later in the month increases the chances. I do recall tropical storms but not too many hurricanes in August in recent years - not that they are any less spoilers! For golf, you have to head to St. Thomas (or St. Croix) so it's not really feasable but Saba Rock does provide for a bit of entertainment and, if I recall, there is a tennis court. You can putt over to Biras for good dining or even to their dockside cafe, The Fat Virgin which is quite good and taking the boat to Gunn Creek gives you access to the whole of Virgin Gorda including the Baths. If you look at the whole area as a vacation destination, rather than one isolated 'resort,' there are few that are as lovely as Virgin Gorda.
btw, the beach there is pretty small and not really a good example of BVI beaches.

Search this Thread