Notices

Nevis, Anguilla or St. Barth?

Old Dec 1st, 2001, 07:02 AM
Sara

Nevis, Anguilla or St. Barth?

Which island should my husband and I visit with our 9 yr old child?

Nevis--Four Seasons?

Anguilla--Cap Juluca?

St. Barths----??

We like beachfront accomodations with the possibility of other children present for our child to mix with as well. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old Dec 1st, 2001, 11:24 PM
Susan

I haven't been to these particular spots, but have been to several islands and been researching for _my_ family. Anguilla sounds great, but Cap Juluca does not have TVs in the room which is a negative for my family of 3 kids. So, that narrows it down to Malliouhana for its great children's area for us, although Cuisinart looks good there.

Nevis (Four Seasons) - the hotel looks great (the best???) but the beach is good but not great from all reports. I, for one, insist on a _great_ beach. Can't wait until the Four Season's opens up in Exuma, if they still plan to.

St. Barth's sounds VERY quiet - not enough kids to play with?

Good luck deciding.

For our desires - first class hotel (grounds, food, service), great beach, not TOO hard to get to from Kansas.

We are considering
Jumby Bay (Antigua)
Malliouhana (Anguilla)
Ritz-Carlton (Cancun)
- how is the beach and swimming?
Point Grace (Turks & Caicos)

Old Dec 2nd, 2001, 04:09 PM
Bverly

The Four Seasons in Nevis is a beautiful yet quiet resort. Go there to relax and be spoiled. The children's camp got rave reviews as well.

Old Dec 3rd, 2001, 04:44 AM
penny

Fyi-If a TV is on your list, scratch off Jumby Bay. Malliouhana is on a wonderful beach!

Old Dec 3rd, 2001, 05:01 AM
Sara

Thank You all! I'll continue to watch for futher opinions. Currently I think Nevis is winning due to the quietness and kids programs.

Old Dec 6th, 2001, 05:38 PM
vanessa

sara
i have been to all three islands. the four seasons in nevis is very nice and is most accomodating of children. we have taken our children to st barth three times and they loved it but most restaurants do have "kids meals" we went to tamarind and their kids meal was $ 20. and that was for lunch. we also took them to anguilla and stayed at the malliouhana but there were no other kids there even though they say they have a kids program.. we enjoyed all three but nevis would be the most comfortable.

Old Dec 7th, 2001, 04:41 AM
Sara

Thanks Vanessa!

That's exactly what I was looking to hear. Nevis it is!!! St. Barth will be remain high on the "hit list"

Old Dec 7th, 2001, 07:27 AM
Sara

Thanks Vanessa!

That's exactly what I was looking to hear. Nevis it is!!! St. Barth will be remain high on the "hit list"

Old Feb 28th, 2003, 02:15 PM
lbw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Susan,
You really should consider the Ritz-Carlton, Cancun. The beach is very deep with beautiful white sand. The water when we were there last August was great (a few waves but none that knocked you over). The service is great, and there are lots of families there.

I would go back there in a heartbeat...
Old Feb 28th, 2003, 05:02 PM

I've never been to Nevis or Anguilla, but I know Saint-Barth well. Actually, I don't really want to go anywhere else anymore! Even so, it would be a dud for small kids - it is more of a playground for adults, and kids are few and far between. Even so, as quiet as it is Saint-Barth will have lots more to do than Anguilla, mainly because it offers the beautiful and interesting town of Gustavia in addition to its lovely beaches, etc. If I were you I'd pick Nevis, and plan some time on St. Kitts while you're there. That will give you the best variety of the three choices. Anguilla and St-Barth also are among the two most expensive islands around, another reason why Nevis-St. Kitts might be good for a trip with a 9 yr. old.
Old Mar 1st, 2003, 05:27 AM

When you do travel to St. Barts, consider Filao Beach Hotel on popular St. Jean Beach--a small luxury hotel. Traveler's reviews at Where2Stay.com--several families have vacationed at Filao and had a great time. Also more information at st-barths.com, or just type out in Google.
Old Mar 1st, 2003, 10:55 AM
lbw

PaulNY, what do you know about Le Toiny? Do you have any other recommendations for similar accomodations? We do like to have the ability to watch a movie if we choose. We have young children and vacation is the only time we really have the chance to do that!

We are trying to decide between Four Seasons, Nevis; Sandy Lane, Barbados; and Le Toiny, St. Barths.

Thanks so much for your advice!
Old Mar 2nd, 2003, 05:29 AM

Le Toiny is arguably the classiest place on the island. In addition it's restaurant, Le Gaiac, is top notch. Guest accommodations are sort of like private walled villas, including your own plunge pool, and have gorgeous views and almost total privacy. They offer satellite cable TV but you'll have to ask about VCR/DVD (my guess is, yes, or they'll arrange it for you). It offers lovely views of the Toiny coast, but is not on a beach (St-Barth is only 8 sq. miles any getting anywhere never takes more than 10-15 mins).
To me, the 2nd nicest place is Hotel St. Barth Isle de France, which is located right on lovely Flamands Beach.
With kids, though, you might want to consider a place like the Guanahani, a top hotel with more guest facilities than anywhere on the island, and with its own calm water beach that would be perfect for kids. Other beaches with fairly calm waters that are good for kids include the beaches at L'Orient and Colombier. I'd bet that two hotels with a relatively higher number of kids would be the Guanahani and the Saint Barth Beach Hotel (on L'Orient beach). The latter is a nice place, has a good fitness center and is right on the beach, but is not in the same class as the other 3 places I mentioned.
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 08:11 PM

Paul- How much does food run on St.Barts--say dinner for 7 nites?

I heard it was super expensive, but I know most of the Caribbean is expensive since they have to import all foods--

So let me know--thanks!!