Search

Anguilla with kids

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21st, 2008, 04:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anguilla with kids

We're huge STJ fans and have decided to take a chance on Anguilla. We're a bit concerned about not having enough to do (with two kids, ages 5 and 7). Of course sitting on the beach is wonderful, but we'd like to have some excursions to look forward to (went to Sting Ray City in April and kids are still talking about it). Also, we're looking for suggestions on where to stay. Place should have a kitchen, as we eat most meals in. We're considering Ku, Turtles Nest, Allmanda, and Rendevous. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old Nov 21st, 2008, 05:00 PM

Rendezvous Bay Hotel is closed -- going to be razed & replaced with a luxury resort. Ku or Shoal Bay Villas would be your best bet. It's a family-friendly beach with great beach restaurants for lunch and a beach that is calm with no undertow. Junior Fleming runs a glass bottom boat/snorkeling trip from the beach there. He teaches seamanship stuff to local kids -- he is a wonder with children. They love him & it's clearly mutual. It would be something your kids would never forget.
Old Nov 21st, 2008, 06:31 PM
cdw

We stayed at Ku a couple of years ago and had a blast and we, too, are STJ fans. We loved Anguilla and everyone in the family thought it was a close 2nd to STJ. We are so glad we experienced Anguilla. Beautiful beaches and water, wonderful food, great scuba diving, etc. Ku is so convenient....you step out of your room onto the most beautiful white sand with great snorkeling right in front of the hotel, even for a 5 & 7 year old. It is perfect! We went to a restaurant with a singing chef,cannot remember his name but his food was awesome! You definitely need to experience this island. St. Barth's is an easy day trip and I highly advise doing this as well!
Old Nov 22nd, 2008, 04:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much...it's scary to venture away from STJ, but it sounds like Anguilla is worth a try!
Old Nov 22nd, 2008, 04:46 AM

I love St. John, been about 5 times. I trully love Anguilla, it's trully dear to my heart. I've taken my daughter to both, and she seems to have a blast at both. I actually love the beaches of Anguilla more....I feel they are completely different from each other, so you can love them as much but differently.

You'll have a great time. If the kids get restless, take the ferry over to St. Martin and do some shopping. They'll love the ferry.
Old Nov 22nd, 2008, 07:10 AM
NM

We have taken our children, now in college, to AXA almost every yr since they were babies--we're headed there for Christmas. It's always been their favorite island and we've been to many. It definitely works best for families that love the water since beaches are the main reason to go. We always had a rental car and would go to a different beach each day for snorkeling and swimming. We tried day trips to St. Barths but that's a tiring day for 5/7 yr. olds. You can take day trips to Sandy Island, Prickly Pear. As they have grown, our kids have also appreciated the people of Anguilla with their island pride and hospitality. Check out Carimar on Meads Bay and Sirena Hotel which has villa rentals. We always rent a villa with a pool--gives us max. flexibility. Enjoy!
Old Nov 22nd, 2008, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks blamona, great idea. Thanks to all...we're looking forward to experiencing Anguilla.
Old Nov 24th, 2008, 01:00 PM
ALR

A couple more places to check include 1) Serenity on Upper Shoal Bay. They have two-bedroom suites. www.serenity.ai. 2) Frangipani is another small hotel with two-bedroom suites, although a little pricier. www.frangipaniresort.com.
Old Dec 4th, 2008, 06:34 PM

The kids would love Junior's Glass Bottom Boat. The ferry to St Martin for the butterfly farm or the zoo is also fun. There's also horseback riding along the beach, and mini golf-bumperboats. Zara's at Allamanda has the singing chef. Picante is also kid friendly, although my kid has been going to AXA since age 4 and has had a great experience in all the restaurants.
Old Dec 4th, 2008, 10:35 PM

Are there any places to stay in STJ that are on the beach but not too expensive (below $200 for four of us). What you would recommend to do with our two kids that are 21 and 23? Is there much besides beaches? And is the water warm in December?
Old Dec 5th, 2008, 06:34 AM

Hi NM,
Can you give me some villa recommendations? We always rent villas as well when we go to the islands. Bliss Villa in Anguilla looked nice, but I’d love to hear your first-hand recommendations. Anguilla is on our to do list as well. This February we rented a villa on Long Island, Bahamas-we have 2 little ones. Can’t wait! Hopefully we’ll make it to Anguilla in the next few years.
Old Dec 5th, 2008, 08:42 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
At Shoal Bay Villas your terrace or balcony is right on the beach---I don't think you can get any closer. It's a bit older, but very clean and well run. They do have kitchens and a large grocery store is a short drive away. We loved eating on our 2nd floor balcony right above the sand.It's right next door to Ku which is remodeled, the rooms are still on the beach, but a bit further back unless you pay top dollar.

There are quite a few restaurants in walking distance. We liked very casual Uncle Ernies(you can also rent a float there for the week--it's just a few doors down, and we also rented a car from him). In the other direction is Gwenn's(great BBQ lunch), and behind Gwenn's inland just a short walk is Zara's for dinner(great pastsa etc. for the kids).

We've been going to the Caribbean for many, many years and Shoal Bay was one of our favorites. I have to say that the stars in the sky there were some of the brightest we've seen anywhere as there is not much ambient light in front of Shoal Bay Villas. The beach is gorgeous and very safe for your kids.

We also love STJ, and had a villa there, but like being right on the beach better.

Our new favorite place is Grace Bay,Turks & Caicos and we will return there in March. Also great for kids.

Old Dec 6th, 2008, 06:31 AM
NM

Kellybeaches--Bliss Villa looks great, I have only driven by it and there's a calm snorkeling beach a short drive away. I recommend Sandy Hill Bay area near Bliss as a great area for families, also Shoal Bay East. Best resource for Anguilla villas is Gail at www.mycaribbean.com. When our kids were younger we discovered that many villa owners do not want kids under 12/13. We have only rented villas on the WestEnd of the Island which is closer to many of the restaurants we enjoy. Sirena Hotel has 4-5 free standing villas and takes children, it has 2 pools--you don't have as much privacy but it's only a short walk to the beach & they offer babysitting. Three other villas we stayed in over the years are being used exclusively by the owners now. The island is in transition and much of what is being built is going for $$$$ weekly. This year we are staying for the first time at Splash Villa, we will post trip report when we return. Anguilla is a great place for families!
Old Jan 1st, 2009, 05:49 PM

Anguilla is very different from STJ, but they are each wonderful in their own way. We went to Anguilla last year w/ our two kids (ages 3 and 5 at the time) and it was fabulous!! We are probably going back this year.

We stayed at Shoal Bay Villas which was great. It's not a super upscale place, but it's affordable and RIGHT ON THE BEACH. Be aware some of the other resorts like Sirena are not. I say that because Sirena was one of my top choices so when we got to the island I wanted to check it out...was very glad we chose SBV because of it's beach location. Sooooo convenient with kids!! The suites do have kitchens so you can cook.

We went out with Junior Fleming a couple times on his glass bottom boat. I cannot say enough wonderful things about Junior. He is so kind and patient with the kids. Mine still talk about him!! He even had them snorkeling a bit! The trip to Little Bay is AWESOME!!

Good luck with your decision!!!