Nevis

Apr 29th, 2007, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

Nevis

Hello.
Has anyone on this board been to Nevis? I was considering a place called the Montpelier Plantation Inn. To date I've only been to the Caribbean once, to Curacao, which was terrific. I tend to like quiet places to catch up on reading.

Any experience, input or advice welcome!

Thanks. Hugh
Apr 29th, 2007, 12:43 PM

Ahhhh Nevis, is a phrase used here often. It is a wonderful destination !

I suggest you take a look at the reviews of Montpelier Inn on tripadvisor.com. Also take a look at the reviews for Nisbet Plantation...my preference over Montpelier.

Also do a search here, by typing Nevis into the search box. Lots of pertinent information already written here.

I'm sure there will be many replies to your post...Nevis is magical

Marion
Apr 29th, 2007, 01:34 PM

Nevis1.com is another wonderful site to explore. Reliable information from a man who loves the island !

Marion
Apr 29th, 2007, 02:12 PM

Quiet place for reading... definitely Nevis. So relaxing.
Apr 29th, 2007, 02:55 PM

Mountpelier is a terrific place - one of the best, if not the best, of the "real" plantation style inns on Nevis. It's a small intimate place nestled on the slopes of Mount Nevis with wonderful views, nicely appointed room, attentive staff and excellent food.

Much has been written about this resort and Nevis on this forum. Use the search feature to find hundreds of posts.
Apr 29th, 2007, 07:24 PM
cw

Nevis is wonderful and most places are quiet. We stay at another plantation inn, the Hermitage, which is not too far from Montpelier. Montpelier is a lovely property with excellent food. I'm sure you'd enjoy staying there, the Hermitage, or at Nisbet. The difference with Nisbet is that it is on the beach, the others are higher up.

Nevis is a small island, easy to get around especially is you rent a car. It has some good restaurants and the people are very welcoming.

CW
Apr 29th, 2007, 08:54 PM
iw

Ahh, Nevis. My favorite place! Montpelier is supposed to be wonderful, but I have yet to stay there.

It is a very quiet island with extremely nice people...A great place to catch up on reading. We are headed for our 3rd trip in June! Chip and Tin Tin have taken us around on excursions or to the market.

We have had really good meals at Bananas, Oualie Beach Hotel, Coconut Grove and Gallipot. We can't wait to try Chevy's Beach Bar....The food at Sunshine's was ok, IMHO, but definitely worth a try for a Killer Bee. Remember that you are on island time and everything will be ok....
Apr 29th, 2007, 09:43 PM
iw

Welcome back, Marion!!!!!
Apr 30th, 2007, 06:12 AM

Ahhh, Nevis!

Nevis in general and Montpelier in particular will be perfect for the type of getaway you are seeking. Beautiful, gracious, comfortable and relaxing. Lots of time to catch up on reading with as much or as little interaction with other people as you seek, and plenty of other diversions should you wish to put your books down for a while.
Apr 30th, 2007, 08:01 AM

Can I add my ringing endorsement of Nevis? It is a classic Caribbean island that is sophisticated without losing that wonderful West Indian charm. If you like reading in beautiful surroundings, I suggest Montpelier or Golden Rock. Both places are located on beautiful grounds but also have beach clubs so you have the best of both worlds.
May 2nd, 2007, 01:59 PM

We traveled to Nevis just this past month and will whole-heartedly agree that this is a wonderful spot to just read and relax! We stayed at the Four Season's, but heard rave reviews about Montpelier and Hermitage food. We did visit the Golden Rock and I would definitely put that on my agenda, either to eat, or even to stay as they have a beautiful inn. The owner is lovely to chat with! Chevy's seemed to be closed during our stay, but Sunshine's was pretty happening. The lobster is excellent there and the "killer bee's" really will kill you! I had only one and left the place stumbling! (thank goodness, the Four Season's is just next door!) We weren't thrilled with Four Season's food, but we did enjoy Mango's-especially for the view!

We rented a catamaran and snorkeled near St. Kitt's, which was an amazing experience! Otherwise, we just relaxed the entire time!
May 2nd, 2007, 02:45 PM

Glad you enjoyed your stay in Nevis. You should post a review at www.myislands.myeyez.net

I went to St. Kitts in December and went to Nevis for one night. We stayed at Hurricane Cove (lovely) and enjoyed lunch at Chevy's Beach Bar.

The locals in Nevis are very friendly and helpful. Nevis is a perfect island to visit for R&R. You can also do a day trip to St. Kitts or spend a few nights on both islands.

www.nevisisland.com

May 24th, 2007, 10:13 AM

If you like quiet place, Nevis will be perfect for you. It was a bit too slow to our taste though.

My husband and I spent 5 days at Montpelier in last April. While we thought that the place was fine, we did not think it was that great as we’ve seen people rave about Montpelier at tripadvisor. I guess we were one of the few people who did not quite get “it”. Room was nice, but very basic. Service was fine for Caribbean standard, but not superb. Dinner was fine, but afternoon tea was a joke (they use tea bags…) I don’t think we are high maintenance people, but we may have had too much expectation in this inn.
May 25th, 2007, 09:05 AM

Ah, you were talking about my favorite place while I was off in the French Polynesia! Nevis is an island of ultimate beauty, wonderful people and unequaled refinement. We stayed at the Four Seasons, which we loved, but if I wanted a quieter place to read, Montpelier would be it. BTW, I think Curacao is terrific, as well.
Aug 4th, 2007, 08:31 AM

Recently came across a forum on Nevis. www.nevisforum.com

Aug 5th, 2007, 05:57 PM

Reading all of your posts make me long for Nevis. I'm trying to decide to go there for our 20th anniversary next year or possibly the Italian Coast. So many places, so little time...