Search

Honeymoon in Nevis - Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17th, 2006, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honeymoon in Nevis - Suggestions

Hello,
My fiancee and I are thinking of going on our honeymoon to Nevis. Our main goal is to just lay on the beach, eat great meals and really just relax for a week. I've heard great things about Nevis from searches I've done online, but I don't know anyone personally who has been there so I'm looking for comments or suggestions of the best places to go and see while there. I was thinking of staying at the Four Seasons for 3-4 nights and stay at the Black Sand Cove cottage for another 5 nights. If anyone has stayed at the Black Sand cove I'd love to hear your feedback on it.

Also, what restaurants would you recommend, and what MUST we do and see while we are there besides relax and spend the day on the beach. We were thinking of taking a day trip to St. Kitts as well.

Any suggestions, advice or comments is much appreciated!
Thanks!
Old Nov 17th, 2006, 11:15 AM

A lot has been written about Nevis on this forum. If you type Nevis in the Search box you'll find hundreds of recent treads listing everything from what to do, what to see, where to eat, etc., etc. FYI - there was a thread written in the past year that discussed Black Sand Cottage. Also, visit www.nevis1.com - it's a website devoted to Nevis and will tell you almost everything you could ever want to know about the island.

Now for some specifics:

Restaurants - for upscale dining don't miss Montpelier Plantation - if you are looking for a romantic spot ask if they are serving dinner in the Sugar Mill, if they are not or it's fully booked don't worry, the second most romantice spot on the island is steps away on Montpelier's Terrace - same great food and wonderful views of the lights from Charlestown and St. Kitts. Other upscale dining spots are Coconut Grove Restaurant (near Nelson's Springs), Nisbet Plantation and Bananas (at their new location on the mountainside Hamilton). Mount Nevis Hotel also has some very good dining in a relaxed setting overlooking the Caribbean and St. Kitts. For casual dining try Gallipot, Mingles (both near Cades Bay), Night Moves, Le Bistro (in Charlestown), Mangos (at the Four Seasons), Sunshines Beach Bar, Double Douce Beach Bar. Try those for starters - there are plenty more.

For things to do, take a hike through the rain forest with Top to Bottom Tours, visit some of the old ruins, stop by the Admiral Nelson Museum and the Nevis Museum, visit the botanical Gardens and have luch at their Tea House, take a day snorkel trip on Caouna. On your day trip to St. Kitts hire one of the taxi guides that will meet the ferry and have him give you a tour of the island - visit the petroglyphic, the Batik Factory at Rhomney Manor, the Fortress at Brimstone Hill (one of the best in the Caribbean), see the lva flow and black rocks and stop at Rawlins Plantation for their West Indian Buffet Lunch.

Lastly, a little bit about Black sand Cottage - it is a very nce property located on the southern end of the island about a mile or so past the Deep Water Port. There's only one or two other houses in the area so it's very secluded - you'll need a rental car to get to/from anywhere. The are a very attractive "dry climate" gardens throughtout the property and you'll have easy access to a small black sand beach which is at the bottom of a small bluff on which the cottage is built. The cottage is nicely furnished and well maintained.

Have a great time on Nevis.
Old Nov 17th, 2006, 11:28 AM

You will love Nevis. My family is from St. Kitts and I been over to Nevis numerous times. It is a beautiful, laid back island (not a lot of night life), friendly locals, and breathtaking views. You can also do a day trip to sister island of St. Kitts.

A_Traveller gave you excellent information - not much more to add.

You can visit www.nevisisland.com for more information on the island.

I know people who have stayed at Black Sand Cove and they enjoyed it.

Another villa that is nice is Villa Caribbean. www.villacaribbean.com
It comes with your own cook/maid, lots of privacy and comfortable accommodations.

I'd recommend the following restaurants:

Chevy's Beach Bar www.myspace.com/chevys_calypso_bar

Miss Junes. www.missjunes.com

Coconut Grove www.coconutgrovenevis.com

Montpelier's for upscale dining.

You can read other restaurant reviews at www.myislands.myeyez.net and www.discover-stkitts-nevis-beaches.com

Definitely visit the Botanical Gardens.

Old Nov 17th, 2006, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your comments and suggestions...it really helps. I understand the Black Sand Cove is a bit out of the way from the rest of the island but I figure if we rent a car it won't matter much. I like the idea of having a beach at the bottom of the cottage with somewhat more privacy.
The restaurant recommendations are very helpful, I think this may be a go!
Old Nov 17th, 2006, 12:36 PM
iw

On our last two trips to Nevis, we have met tons of couples on their honeymoon, so I think you have made a great choice. Of the excellent restaurant suggestions that have been made, I would add the dining area at Oualie Beach Hotel. The food is amazing. We also loved Coconut Grove and Banana's.
A day trip to St. Kitts is high on the list. We saw some people taking a small boat from Nevis to Turtle Beach, which is in St. Kitts.
The advice that the other 2 have given you is extremely good.
Old Nov 17th, 2006, 01:08 PM

I echo all of the suggestions for Montpelier for a special dinner out.

I might even suggest that you consider Montpelier instead of 4S for the other nights you're not at Black Sand Cove...

And I agree with A_Traveller. Definitely check out www.nevis1.com for a great island overview!
Old Nov 17th, 2006, 02:25 PM

Black sand cove is way out of the way. I would suggest Cotton House as a villa for a honeymoon. They do a lot of honeymoon couples there. You can find it on Where to stay and nevis 1. It is a nicer house, IMO and the location is great. It is not out of the way, but very private.
Old Nov 17th, 2006, 04:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your suggestions, I think the Cotton house is out of our budget though. The Black sand cove is extremely reasonable pricewise so that's the major appeal to me. Is it so out of the way that it's an inconvenience even with a car?
Old Nov 18th, 2006, 06:07 AM
cw

Sim,

Don't worry about Black Sand Cove being too far out. With a car, nothing is really that far in Nevis and the roads on that side of the island are good.

You'll be closer to Montpelier and the Hermitage on that side of the island.

Just one addition to the good advice you received about restaurants. I'm not sure when you are traveling but in the winter/spring some of the restaurants have special dinners once a week--Nesbit, Oualie, and, where we stayed last year, the Hermitage. They are usually barbecue buffets and they're held on different nights so you can time your meals to either take advantage of them or avoid them!

The Hermitage had a pork barbecue with a buffet filled with many local side dishes and some other entrees. It attracted a big crowd so reservations are advised.

Sounds like a great trip you have planned.

CW
Old Nov 18th, 2006, 06:22 AM

CW is right, since you will have a car it will be OK. I did not realize (still don't ) what your budget is... as you are staying at the FS during the trip, it is not exactly cheap.

Anyway, you will LOVE Nevis. I suggested Cotton House as I know many people who have honeymooned there and I think its a great location. I am just more partial to the NW part of the island as I own property there.

Have a fantastic time! It is the perfect honeymoon spot!
Old Nov 18th, 2006, 06:56 AM
cw

I took a look at Cotton House on Nevis1.com and it is spectacular and right on the beach. Looks like a wonderful place to stay. Is it just north of the Four Seasons?

CW
Old Nov 18th, 2006, 07:01 AM

Nevis is the Caribbean's greatest island. A daytrip by ferry to St. Kitt's is always an option. (1 hr each way) Nevis has a large volcano, called Mt Nevis which is beautiful. The Four Seasons Nevis is one of the top resorts in the Caribbean. I think your choice to stay there is an excellent one ... true paradise.
The above posters have given you some lovely choices for restaurants.
Enjoy!

Old Nov 18th, 2006, 12:49 PM

Forum member (Mark) at www.myislands.myeyez.net stayed at Black Sand Cove last year. You might want to post your question there as well.

Old Nov 18th, 2006, 04:47 PM

Black Sand Cove is just as nice as others have said and they also described it well.
Their website is also accurate in describing the cottage.
The beach is very black and secluded.
It is narrow and long.
Maybe 30 feet wide at the most before the high cliff rises up to the cottage leve.
I didn't dare stand close to it as rocks do come down!
We'd stay there again.
Last week we stayed at Firefly.
Another tiny Nevis cottage in the NW area of the Island.
Hundreds of monkeys parading up the Ghut in the early morning.........
Firefly is not on the beach though.
Oh, the house / cottage are just a short walk to the steps that lead to that beach.
Old Nov 18th, 2006, 05:49 PM

CW - yes Cotton House is north of FS, not very far at all. It is off the main road, down a long driveway (which is actually a small road) it is on Pinneys beach, but a small part and the location is very private. It is a fantastic house. I love it.
Old Nov 18th, 2006, 06:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your comments, I forgot to mention that we are honeymooning the end of June into early July so hopefully this is a great time to experience Nevis (but seems to be fantastic weather year round). I really appreciate all of your suggestions. We'll definitely plan a trip to St. Kitts during out stay as well, so if anyone has suggestions of what to do during that one day I'd love to hear your comments. Thanks!
Old Nov 19th, 2006, 03:56 AM

Just to clarify - Cotton House is not what most people think when they say "Beachfront" but rather in real estate lingo is often called "waterfront" or "ocean Front". It is on a 15' to 20' high bluff above a very rocky area. There are wooden stair leading down to a very small sandy (only a few feet to the water's edge - makes Black Sand Cove beach seem big) and at high tide it is difficult to pass the rocks which are on either side of the area to actually access the beach area in front of Villa Paradiso, Paradise Beach and Pinney's Beach which are south of the property or Montpelier's beach, Nelson Spring's Beach and the other beachs north of the house. IMO the person who wrote the copy describing Cotton House as being "beachfront" is using a bit of "puffery" to mislead potential renters. This comment is not meant to imply Cotton House is not a lovely property (it certainly is) but it's just not what I call "beachfront". It does afford very nice views of the Caribbean (great sunsets) and neighboring St. Kitts.
Old Nov 19th, 2006, 05:42 AM

I believe I said small beach. I never said it was huge or anything like that. I am very familiar with this property as I have been there many times. It is not where I would chose to go to the "beach" at all, but it does have a gate which you can get into the water right at the house. I think that is a nice feature and pretty uncommon for Nevis. I am really offended that you think I was trying to "mislead" anyone, why exactly would I do that. I think many people here can testify that I have helped them with finding villas as I am familiar with them all.
Old Nov 19th, 2006, 06:59 AM

MIN - I never said you were trying to mislead anyone nor have I ever claimed any of your posts were unhelpful to those seeking information about Nevis or any othe island with which you are familar. What I said was the person who wrote the copy for the villa description on Nevis1.com used "puffery" when describing this proprty as being "beachfront". I assume you were are not the author.

Yes, this property has a gate that leads to steps that lead down the bluff to a bit of sand that could be called a "beach" and that is, without a doubt, very unusual for Nevis as those of us who are very familar with the island know there are very few actual "Beachfront" rental villas on the island. The truth is the "beach" at Cotton House is tiny by anyone's definition and like I said it is amid large rocks and bolders making virtually impossible to reach the main beach on either side of the Bluff area - truth be told you have to traverse several hundred feet in either direction to rrach what most people would describe as a "Caribbean Beach". I stand by my statement that whoever wrote the description as being "beachfront on Pinney's Beach" is misleading those potential renters who are seeking the quintessential beach outside there villa. That description is not unlike descriptions we've all seen describing certain beaches throught the caribbean as having "white sand" when in fact it something different. All an inaccurate description does is inflate the writer's (and owner's) ego and disappoints the renter.
Old Nov 19th, 2006, 07:45 AM

You should try to some hiking in when you are on Nevis. There are some very pleasant, not too strenuous treks you can do. We took a hike up Saddle Hill (on the south side of the island) and we also did a short on at Golden Rock. There are others you can do as well.
Nevis is fabulous!