Reload this Page >

Need lots of Jamaica advice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27th, 2002, 01:02 PM
michelle

My friends are getting married at Beaches Negril in May. We have never been to Jamaica. As a general rule, I don't like all-inclusives - too crowded for one.<BR><BR>I imagine we'll fly into Montego Bay and go from there. Should we stay a couple nights at Beaches Negril (for the wedding) and then move elsewhere in Negril- suggestions please! OR, after a couple days in Negril should we try another part of the island? Like Montego Bay since we'll have to fly home from there anyway.<BR><BR>We like quiet places with not a lot of kids. I imagine early May shouldn't be too bad regardless. Also trying to save some money (though I have discounted rates at Grand Lido resorts and Beaches for the wedding).

Old Sep 27th, 2002, 02:14 PM
amyk

Hi Michelle - <BR><BR>1) Avoid MoBay - stay in Negril. absolutely no question in my mind 'bout that one.<BR><BR>2) definitely stay at another property in negril, so long as you don't mind moving mid-trip (inertia is a strong force)<BR><BR>3) quiet places w/ minimal kids - check out any of the cliff-side proerties in Negril. Because the cottages/rooms are generally right on the cliffs (upwards of 30 feet from the gorgeous tuquoise water), these are not too kid friendly. For adults, the properties are perfect, though. Can be very romantic, all are fairly unique, excellent "vibe" up there!<BR><BR>4) specific suggestions on cliffs (these range widely in terms of cost, should find one to fit any budget): <BR><BR>Rockhouse<BR>Tensing Pen<BR>The Caves<BR>Villas Sur Mer<BR>Banana Shout<BR><BR>There are many more, but those are the top ones that are coming to mind right now.<BR><BR>5) great places to check out your where to stay questions - very active message boards at:<BR> <BR>www.negril.com (plus a where to stay section)<BR><BR>www.jamaicans.com - westside wanderings message board<BR><BR>Enjoy Negril - I am returning in Novmeber for our "ladies only" trip - renting a villa cliffside...soon come! <BR><BR>Enjoy the wedding and your trip<BR>feel free to email me with any questions.

Old Sep 27th, 2002, 04:24 PM
bella

I totally agree with the above. Sandals Negril is right next door to Beaches. We stayed there, and it is pretty nice. You can walk from beach to beach, so no need to worry about transportation. One more resort down, and you have Hedonism. I would just stay at Sandals, since you can eat at Beaches for free with your pass (they're all interconnected). The bus from MoBo stops at Sandals first, then goes to Beaches, so no need to worry about traveling w/ family. Sandals is 18 and above = no kids!

Old Sep 29th, 2002, 10:54 AM
Penney

I agree - Sandals Negril is a super resort and never felt crowded at all.<BR>We really enjoyed our trip there.<BR><BR>GL Negril is beautiful - it is more upscale, less people around, quieter and more pampering. Worth the money.<BR><BR>You cal also try www.negril.com for places to stay.

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 04:44 PM
dmotl

We have put together a nice brouchure of info that is usefull for the first time visitor to Negril. If you would like us to e-mail you out a copy just request it at [email protected]<BR>Dan and Ginny

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 03:27 PM
lisa

Stay in Negril...The Swept Away is an all inclusive fitness resort..Very nice, no kids

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 05:21 AM
melissa

Michelle,<BR><BR>If you decide to stay someplace else, make sure you check with Beaches to find out if you will be able to get on the property for your friends' wedding. Most all inclusives have tight restrictions, but some allow the purchase of a day pass for such an occasion.

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 06:21 AM
John

We just returned from getting married at Swept Away - which is RIGHT (one property over) next to Beaches. We were 100% satisfied - it's a fantastic place - small, intimate, pretty quiet - but tons to do.<BR><BR>