Need help with Out Islands

Old Jun 13th, 2007, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help with Out Islands

What's the cheapest way to get there from Miami? Can one hop from one to the other and how?
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 01:46 PM

Depends on which Out Island. For the Abacos, you can take American Eagle from Miami. However, there are more choices to get to the Abacos from Ft. Lauderdale, including Continental/Gulfstream and a number of small commuters (which are surprisingly reasonable).

As for the other Out Islands, American, USAirways, and Gulfstream will offer flights out of Miami, Ft. Lauderdale; also, BahamasAir will get you there out of Nassau (not recomended).

Unless there is a mailboat link, there are not many options to get between groups of Out Islands other than BahamasAir via Nassau. There is, I believe, a fast ferry between Nassau and Harbor Island/Eleuthera. Most other island hopping would be WITHIN an island group, principally in the Abacos (ferries and rental motorboats) and perhaps in the Exumas (rentals; I don't know that there's a ferry).

Hope that helps.
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

I does help! Is there a particular airline that you find has the best fares and a particular island that you would recommend for a first timer?
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 03:09 AM

For a first-timer, I would recommend the Abacos (see your other post, to which I responded).

As for getting there, you'd have to compare the pricing yourself, as it can vary. If cost is not hugely different among the carriers, I would give Gulfstream a nod out of Ft. Lauderdale. (The commuter carriers are great -- really personalized service -- but it can be a pain if you're connecting through FLL because you need to go to another airport location.)
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 06:31 AM

The Abacos or Harbour Island are probably best for first timers and you have several options to fly into Eleuthera out of Florida.

USAir, Delta and Continental have direct flights into N. Eleuthera Airport out of Ft. Lauderdale. Also you can fly into Nassau on American and then either fly on Bahamas Air or take the fast ferry www.bahamasferries.com to Eleuthera.

Harbour Island was named the #1 destination in the region the last couple of years and there is an amazing 3 mile stretch of pink sand beach and several nice places to stay.

www.myharbourisland
www.briland.com
www.eleu.net