What airlines fly to Harbour Island, Bahamas?

Old Mar 6th, 2004, 04:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What airlines fly to Harbour Island, Bahamas?

Hi,
What airlines fly to Harbour Island, in the Bahamas?
Thank You!
Gem

Old Mar 7th, 2004, 02:16 PM

Actually none, there is no airport on the island. The closest airport is one island over, Eleuthera and the closest airport is N. Eleuthera.

USAir and Continental have flights from Ft. Lauderdale directly into N. Eleuthera.

Other options are a charter company out of Nassau, Chalks, and there is always Bahamas Air also out of Nassau.

The Fast Ferry travels from Nassau to Harbour Island and takes about 2 hours, it leaves from the dock area downtown Nassau, and has been getting rave reviews for being on time and an nice way to travel.

Rt on Bahamas Air and the Fast Ferry are about $100pp.

Hope this helps, have a great time.
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 10:08 PM

American does it like 10 times a day from Miami.
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 10:44 AM

American only flies into Nassau and there are flights all day long until 10pm, if I remember right.

American does not fly into Eleuthera any more. American used to have direct flights into Govenours Harbour which is about 60 miles away but stopped flying there a year or so ago.
Old Mar 14th, 2004, 05:39 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the info! I figured out that there wasn't an airport on Harbour Island about five minutes after I posted and felt pretty silly.

Could someone please tell me about the ferry that runs from Eleuthera to Harbour Island? What times does it run, how long does it take and is it a rough crossing?

Thank You!
Gem
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 03:04 AM

It is actually a water taxi. The crossing takes about 5 minutes. The taxis come and go all day long, there are several of them, so if you wait 5 minutes thats a long time. Enjoy your trip!
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 11:21 AM

The taxis and watertaxis are a bit more organized than that actually. The flight times are well co-ordinated so when you land and have your luggage at N. Eleuthera airport, ask for taxi driver Wendell, he can give you info about Eleuthera on the way to the dock. He has a radio so he will make sure there are enough water taxis for the passengers going over.

On island, Reggie or Jena, the taxi drivers on island will meet the water taxi and take you up to your hotel, actually if you didn't have luggage you could walk it, the island is pretty small.

All the hotels have radios so when you need a cab one will be called for you, or late at night if you want a ride the taxis are also available.

At dusk the water taxis usually go off duty, but the airport has recently added night lights so that may change as additional flights are added.

I also forgot to mention in my first post that Sand Piper Air also flies from Nassau to Harbour Island.

Hope this helps and have a wonderful trip.
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 03:15 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all the great information! It is going to be a long wait. I am so excited to go but we will not be going until next February.
Thanks Again!
Gem