Getting to Eleuthera Advice / Options

Old Mar 16th, 2007, 05:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting to Eleuthera Advice / Options

Thanks for those who helped with my other post. I have been trying to figure out how to get to Eleuthera most cheaply and comfortably from Columbus, OH.

Unfortunately most flights to Fort Lauderdale that are cheap for my dates are at least 1 stop and flying to Nassau is also one stop but faster so I think I will go to Nassau first. The problem is all the cheap flights arrive Friday at 4:45. I see that most airlines do not offer service to Governor's Harbour that late. So I am thinking my options are:

1. Stay at a hotel near the airport for one night and take the Bahamas Air flight the next morning at 6:50 AM.

2. Try to get to Potter's Cay by 7:00 to take the fast ferry. I am not sure how far this is from the airport and what chances we have of making it through customs and to the ferry in time on a Friday afternoon.

Please let me know what you think. Also, if option 1 seems good please let me know of a value priced place near the airport that would still be safe.

Thanks!
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 10:48 AM

Eleuthera and Harbour Island are not really easy to get to, which is one of the reasons they have not been over run with tourists, well at least on Eleuthera. Harbour Island has been discovered, it used to be a pretty sleepy island, not so anymore.

Eleuthera especially GH is a bit more difficult since American stoped flying in from Miami, so your choices are bit more limited.

I think USAir and Delta still fly into Eleuthera out of Ft. Lauderdale so you might check there.

YOu also might check the ferry website, because I don't think there is a nite sailing, I think there is a very early am, and early afternoon sailing. The website is www.bahamasfastferries.com

I would suggest getting into Nassau and staying overnight, and catch the early morning flight, or the ferry. Check the ferry schedule, because some days it does NOT go to GH.

I would suggest the British Colonial as a nice place to stay overnight. You can easily catch a cab from there back to the airport it's only a 20 minute ride, and that way you can see some of Nassau, find a good restaurant and use the beach at the BC or go over to PI and see the ATlantis.

Also you might find better flight options out of Cinci airport.

Also JetBlue is flying out of Atlanta to Nassau now, so that might be another option, Delta to Atlanta, and JB to Nassau.

Hope at least some of this helps.

Have a great time.
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 10:55 AM

I just checked the ferry website and the address is www.bahamasferries.com, and it looks like there IS a late sailing now. That will be great for travelers have trouble connecting with flightes. THe BoHengy is a very comfortable high speed cat and the sailing is about 3 hours from Nassau to GH and you will stop at least once, Spanish Wells, Harbour Island or the Current (Eleuthera), so you'll get to see a little of the area. If you have time on Harbour Island, hop off the boat and run to the end of the dock for conch fritters,lol,
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 07:34 PM

we went to Eleuthera a couple of years ago and used Twin Air out of Ft. Lauderdale. Small, 6-8 passenger cessana's, but great views. check it out at: www.flytwinair.com
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 04:29 PM

We just arrived back from Eleuthera. We use Continental Airlines out of Philadelphia. They fly us all the way into North Eleuthera airport. The leg from Florida is handled by Continental Connection. In other words, we don't have to switch airlines in Florida, it's Continental all the way. We arrive in North Eleuthera at 2:30pm. This gives us time to pick up the car and do food shopping before we get to the house. I do not think this is the least expensive option; however, if you are late arriving in Nassau and miss the connection with Bahamas Air you'll have to buy another ticket??? We book our tickets directly on the Continental Airlines website. Hope this helps.