Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Getting to Marsh Harbor,Abaco Island, in February.

Nov 11th, 2005, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

I would appreciate some help from people who have visited Marsh Harbor. I believe I can either fly from Florida directly to Marsh Harbor or fly to Grand Bahama Island and take a fast ferry. Which worked better for you and why? Thanks.
Nov 11th, 2005, 10:41 AM

I don't think there is a ferry to Abaco from Freeport, it is more likely to be out of Nassau, since Nassau is closer, but I am not sure Fast Ferry service has started yet. YOu might check the www.bahamasfastferries.com for info.

If you are flying I think the easiest is to fly into Nassau and take a Bahamas Air flight from there. The flight from Nassau is probably not more than 30 minutes.

Have a great trip.
Nov 11th, 2005, 11:28 AM

Most ferries go out of Nassau.
Even then, I don't think they go to Abacos, or only at limited times.
Small planes from Ft. Lauderdale are the easiest way.
Make sure you are staying around Marsh Harbour, because Treasure Cay is an hour away, and has it's own small airport.
Nov 11th, 2005, 11:50 AM

Without taking a survey Id say that most people fly to Marsh Harbour from Fort Lauderdale. Its possible to get there from Grand Bahama but there are only one or two options. Ive taken Gulfstream ( Continental ) from FLL and a small charter out of West Palm Beach. Both methods worked although the charter company is no longer flying. Dr. Ralphs site has some very useful information on travel to the Abacos.

http://www.drralph.net/Askdex.html.
Nov 11th, 2005, 01:56 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your help. I appreciate it very much.
Nov 11th, 2005, 07:20 PM

My family owns several vacation homes in Treasure Cay, which is the other airport on Abaco (about 25 minutes from Marsh Harbour). You do NOT want to go to Grand Bahama, nor is it practical to go through Nassau to get to Marsh Harbour (that's going south to go north). Just take one of the commuter airlines from Miami, West Palm or Fort Lauderdale directly to Marsh Harbour, or to Treasure Cay and take a taxi. And while you are there, be sure to visit Treasure Cay as the beach has been rated one of the top 10 in the world by National Geographic. For more info on Abaco, in general, check out www.vhrww.com/bahamas2.htm and have a wonderful time!
Nov 12th, 2005, 04:29 AM
Original Poster

Thank you.