MARRIOTT AND RENAISSANCE FREQUENTERS

May 31st, 2002, 10:06 AM
eli

MARRIOTT AND RENAISSANCE FREQUENTERS

I have a free week at any marriott or renaissance worldwide. I'm taking a vacation end of July with wife and kids (12/ 14)and would appreciate advice from anyone who has stayed at these resorts worldwide. I am leaning toward Carribean (Puerto Rico, Auba, or St Thomas Marriotts look nice) but would consider any others. The JW Ihilani in Oahu looks terrific, but I just don't know if I want to go that far (from Maryland). Also thinking about Puerto Vallarta and Costa Rica Marriott resorts, but maybe not best season there. Leaning toward aruba right now just because it is out of hurricane belt. Would consider anywhere in world. Hoping some of you guys with Marriott points galore can steer me right.

May 31st, 2002, 04:44 PM
Dave

Eli, we stayed @ the Marriott in Aruba in Feb & were disappointed in that property: rooms are musty & beds uncomfortable, food so so & pool too small for such a big resort. We will not go back to that Marriott. Not 'luxury' as advertised. Needs an overhaul. OTOH, beach is perfect.

Jun 1st, 2002, 02:03 AM
Diane

I love Marriott's Morning Star on St Thomas and have been there three times. My sister is using her points in November for her second stay. It does take more points there than at Frenchman's Reef which is beautiful also, but Morning Star is still my preference with its lovely smaller, individual three story buildings. It is located on the beach, surrounded by beautiful gardens, and almost makes me feel that I am on a special, private island. Guests may use the facilities of both hotels, which are adjacent. I also believe that you can use a lesser amount of points and pay $25/night for the upgrade, which, in my opinion, is well worth it.

A week provides opprtunities to enjoy many wonderful activities.

My recommendations would include a day trip on New Horizans II, a just the right size boat which takes approximately fifteen people on a BVI tour including The Baths and Van Jost Island. Also highly recommended is a day trip to St. John whic can be accessed by ferrying a car and exploring the island, or ferring just yourself. Taxies are available at the dock, and will take you anywhere you want to go.

The carribean is such a magical place. Have a wonderful trip.

Jun 1st, 2002, 10:45 AM
debbie

the Renaissance Jamaica Grande in Ochos Rios would be a great choice - you can read my review at www.concierge.com The staff was wonderful and neat things to do in the area.

Jun 1st, 2002, 10:53 PM
Robin

The Marriott Aruba Beach Resort & Ocean Club is superb. I stayed there last week and it was wonderful. (Avoid the Renaissance Aruba Resort. It used to be called Sonesta. Marriott should have never put there name on it because it is not up to par.) The San Juan Marriott Resort in Puerto Rico is also very nice. It is located in the Condado area.