Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

anyone been to aruba sonesta/renaissance?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2002, 05:14 PM
robert

we are traveling to aruba sonesta and are looking for feedback on what to do/see while there (mid-july)

Old May 31st, 2002, 04:07 AM
Sharon

We have traveled to Aruba several times and stayed at the Sonesta Suites a few years ago. The private island was very nice--lots of lounges, several areas of beaches, walking paths, tropical. <BR>Having the kitchenette was great for snacks, sandwiches etc. If you want groceries there's a store in town that is a lot cheaper than the small deli across from the hotel. We always walked to the grocery store. Even better store on the highway if you have a car. <BR>There's plenty of restaurants in town and very good restaurants on the island. In town, among others there's Chez Mathilde, El Gaucho, Cuba's Cookin, Driftwood and the more formal restaurant L'Escale. We dined at L'Escale and El Gaucho--both were very nice but L'Escale was definitely the better restaurant. The best restaurant we dined at on the island was Madame Jeanette's.<BR>If you type out "Aruba, tourism" using Google or maybe Lycos you can access several message boards on Aruba and obtain other valuable information.

Old May 31st, 2002, 05:42 AM
Susan

Been to Aruba several times and we love it there.<BR><BR>Tons of watersports, parasailing, snorkeling, jet skiing, tubing, sailing, sunset sailing, party boats, dinner cruises, etc.<BR><BR>Also, rent a jeep and explore the island...it is very safe, clean and friendly. The people are wonderful. Try to make it to the natural pool.<BR><BR>They have a little chapel out in the desert as well as a natural bridge. Some caves, which I particularly wouldn't recommend - a bit dangerous getting down.<BR><BR>Sunset walks at night, horse & buggy carriage ride, the serenity of the sunsets and lots of Aruba Riba drinks!! Yummmm<BR><BR><BR>Aruba...take me away!!

Old May 31st, 2002, 09:51 AM
Bud

The Renaissance is located in the busy downtown section of Oranjestad. I, personally, would never stay at that location. Too noisy and must walk across busy highway to the beach. If you like being downtown, go for it. But, I like the Palm Beach area better.

Old May 31st, 2002, 10:02 AM
Susan

I agree with Bud...I like to be by the beach area with all the resorts. I also prefer the hise rise area, I believe it is on Palm Beach!

Old May 31st, 2002, 12:59 PM
Sharon

Just to clarify the "Suites" do not require a walk across the highway. We caught the boat to the island on the pier not at the hotel across the street at the Mall. There are two properties unless one was closed? We liked being downtown--there was a lot to do. We were in Aruba this March and stayed for the first time at La Cabana, Eagle Beach which was o.k. but it fit the budget. This December we're returning to stay at the Wyndham--so we stay at different places each time and can compare--I personally like Palm Beach the best but they're all nice. In between, we're off to Europe, it's not always Aruba! <BR>Robert, since you have already booked just have a great time, may I suggest you rent a car at least for a few days. Drive out to Baby Beach --its really nice--walk out very far in clear water waist-deep + snorkling. It was very quiet this March when we were there (driving--(follow signs for Seroe Colorado). You'll have a great time, do some snorkling (maybe on Mi Dushi), a sunset cruise--book at the watersports center on the private island. If you like golf, my husband really enjoys playing at Tierra Del Sol. Enjoy.

Old Jun 1st, 2002, 10:34 PM
Robin

Disappointing is how I describe the Renaissance Aruba Resort. I stayed there one night (05/24/02) and checked out early. I can not believe that Marriott put their name on this place without upgrading the decor of the rooms and remodeling the attitudes of the staff. The bedspread looked like it was ten years old. The pool at the Marina tower is very little. The Marina tower sits on the main street in Oranjestad, so if you have a pool or ocean view room(view of the marina actually), you hear every car that drives by all night long. The Beach Tower has a nice pool, but yes, you have to walk across the busy street to get to it. The rooms however, have the same old decor as the Marina tower. If you have status with the Marriott Reward program, you might as well forget it because they have no idea what Marriott Reward status means. If you want a great hotel, stay at the Marriott Aruba on Palm Beach, it may cost a little more, but it is well worth it. I actually checked out every hotel in what they call the High rise hotel area and recommend the Marriott, Hyatt or the Radisson.

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 04:12 AM
Lanny

The Wyndham is also a wonderful hotel and the staff is very friendly. Wyndham By Request online allows you to pre-order certain items like feather pillows etc. Restaurants-Pago Pago, Blossoms, and Baci Cafe are very good.