Reload this Page >

some general ?s about aruba

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 08:26 AM
Brandy

My husband and I are looking to vacation this Nov-Dec. in Aruba we think. We are looking for a place that has a gorgeous beach with nice water, nice pool, and good service. We are looking into Aruba b/c we want to go somewhere we can stay at a nice place for a fair price and have a lot of really good restaurants to eat at. I do not like the idea of all-inclusive anywhere, eating out and good restaurants is a big part of vacation to me. It seems there are a lot of good ones here from what I have read. We also like the idea of having at least some nightlife/bars to go to, yet not quite as wild as somewhere like Cancun. It seems that everything in Aruba is very close to the hotels so going out somewhere different every night would be feasible. It seems that bars/restaurants are about 5-10min cab ride. Is this a correct assumption? I ahve read a lot about Hyatt vs Radisson, but I am leaning toward the Wyndham. Any suggestions for us? Does Aruba sound like where I would want to go. I am open to any suggestions/opinions anyone has. Thanks.

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 09:49 AM
jessica

On this website they post alot of negatives about Aruba so keep that in mind when people post responses. <BR><BR>Just back from aruba.It is really a great island, stayed at the radisson for 2 nights then had a time-share at the divi for the rest of the trip. we visited all the hotels and they all seem very nice the wyndham is the first of the highrise hotels. <BR>As for places to eat there are plenty in aruba.Food is great cause most of it comes from the states which is a plus so you dont have to feel nervous about what you are eating. All different types of food too. Like El Gaucho for steaks Driftwood for seafood Sunset Grill in radisson for gormet american food there are so many places. We went everywere and rented a car for a few days to save on the cab rides. I loved Aruba and will be planning another trip there shortly. hope this helps.

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 10:12 AM
Island Girl

Brandy, for your first trip to Aruba, I would defintely recommend you stay on Palm Beach. You really can't go wrong with any of the hotels you mentioned, however, the Hyatt and the Radisson are more upscale than the Wyndham. It's great to be able to walk from hotel to hotel and walk from pier to pier for those sunset cocktails. I would also recommend that you consider renting a car since the roads are good, but if not taxis to and from Palm Beach are reasonable (about $10). Oranjestad is great for restaurants and nightlife (but still fairly safe). Aruba is very user-friendly.

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 10:37 AM
Bud

My Aruba trip report is posted at:<BR>http://www.visitaruba.com/guestarea/tripreports/trip374.html<BR>

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 12:26 PM
nan

My compliments to you, Brandy, for doing your own research, figuring out what you want, then posting a focused set of questions.<BR>(Most of the time I think people could answer their own questions by simply looking thru the old posts).<BR>From the info you've provided, I think you'll be happy with Aruba. It's a very low stress place to vacation. No hassles. Even the license plates say "One Happy Island" (or they did last I was there anyway).<BR><BR>The beach is great, plenty of hotels to visit with decent restaurants, and Oranjestad has many more.<BR><BR>Aruba's not exotic and that's one reason a lot of travel fanatics knock it. It could almost be the Florida Keys with much better beaches and weather in many ways.<BR><BR>As for the hotel debate, the ones you're looking at are all in the same general class. They're not Ritz Carltons, but they do all the basics well.<BR>Hope you have a great time.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 01:23 PM
carol

You will love Aruba, it has all the things you are looking for. I stayed at the Hyatt but walked the beach every day and looked at the other hotels. It's hard to talk about a place that you didn't stay but my thoughts on the Wyndham in walking by it were that their beach is too crowded with people coming thru the public access next to the hotel (looked like lots of local families coming to swim and play). The Wyndham is the first hotel on Palm Beach, right next to a police station and public access and their beach and swimming area was really filled.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 03:03 PM
Linda

We checked out the Wyndham, because we were hoping we might stay there in the future. (It is less expensive than the Hyatt.) It is not very nice at all. The pool area is very plain and nothing special. Reminded me of an old Howard Johnson's. I couldn't stay there.

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 02:49 AM
smb

I think the Hyatt, Raddison and Marriott are all very beautiful. The Marriott is a little cheapre then the Hyatt & Raddison, but still has a lovely pool with waterfalls you can swim under, and the service there is impecable!<BR><BR>I also checked out the Wyndam and found it to be really pretty as well, but not as nice as the first three mentioned.<BR><BR>You will have a fantastic time in Aruba!<BR><BR>Enjoy your vacation.