Reload this Page >

late Sept Honeymoon--Crazy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2002, 12:04 PM
Anne

Since my fiance has only a week off and we are in NY, we are considering the Carribbean even tho it's hurricane season. Here's the 2-part question--<BR>1) I have been told that St. Lucia, Martinque, Antigua as well as Bermuda are "hurricane safe" in the last week of Sept. Is that true? If not, are any?<BR>2) Any suggestions for resorts?<BR>We'd like to go somewhere luxurious and pampering with athletic things to do -- tennis, hiking, swimming, etc. One place we liked the look of was Cambridge Beaches in Bermuda. <BR>Thanks so much for your help!

Old May 31st, 2002, 12:08 PM
Jennifer

Anne,<BR><BR>Yes, Sept. is hurricane season. However, it's your honeymoon. You want to go to a beautiful island. If a hurricane should come before you go, hotels will work with you to reschedule if necessary. No one wants clients in danger. Those islands are not out of the hurricane belt. The only one that is really safe is Aruba. But, Aruba is not for everyone. You have to research the different islands to see what is right for you.<BR><BR>If you are looking for a resort that offers sports and such, you may want to take a look at Swept Away in Negril, Jamaica. This resort is couples only, very beautiful, great beach, largest sporting complex in the Caribbean and over all, just a wonderful resort for a honeymoon. Check it out.

Old May 31st, 2002, 12:28 PM
a

And Bonaire and Curacao.<BR><BR>One suggestion might sound a little crazy and that is a cruise, if you are at all interested. Some of the ships like Crystal Cruises are quite luxurious and if you are not set on certain islands, a cruise ship will avoid hurricane areas. It is a "moveable" resort. A good friend of mine did this for her honeymoon in 1995 and it worked out well.<BR><BR>Finally, I think it might still be high season but you may want to consider somewhere in Europe since you are in NY. My friends just returned from their honeymoon in Greece and had a fabulous time.

Old Jun 1st, 2002, 10:03 AM
Trish

Think of what it would be like to be on your honeymoon and have a hurricane. When we were in Antigua, there was a couple that had been there in September on their honeymoon and they were confined to their room until they were able to get them off the island. Sandals did give them another free trip, but why not try Curacao and avoid the possibility of a hurricane altogether? We dined on exquisite food there and the wait people did their jobs with flawless precision. Enjoyed lots of sun and relaxed. Stayed at the Marriott, which we loved. Very nice rooms. And the diverse culture was superb.

Old Jun 1st, 2002, 12:46 PM
Nancy

Hi Anne,<BR>St. Lucia is not hurricane-safe in September. (I don't know who gave you your info!)<BR>We were there at Anse Chastanet in September (I think 1998), and THREE hurricanes came through - Karen, Luis and Marilyn - and damaged the resort. Luis almost hit the island directly. <BR>We couldn't dive, and we had all kinds of critters in our room weathering the storm with us because the room only has one solid wall. (It makes for great conversation now!)<BR>I agree with the posters who suggest the ABC's. Why take a chance with your honeymoon?

Old Jun 1st, 2002, 12:49 PM
Paul

late Sept is not only the "peak" of hurricane season, for the same reason it's the rainy season. You always have good odds to miss a hurricane, but when you're going is when the odds of bad luck are about the highest. The odds of just having crummy wet whether are even higher. None of the islands you named are hurricane safe at that time.<BR>Your best bets weather-wise, by far, would be Aruba, Bonaire or Curacao.

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 04:32 AM
Sandy

Anne: I think Bermuda would be great. also look into the Reefs--a very classy hotel.