Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Where to use Marriott Points - Curacoa or St. Kitts?

Old Apr 12th, 2005, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Help - I want to use some of my Marriott points in February and can't decide between St. Kitts and Curacoa. I think I've been to all of the other Marriott properties in the Caribbean so I'm looking for some place new for my husband and I. I'd like to hear from anyone that has stayed at both and would love to hear opinions - both pro and con. As always, thanks much.
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 11:13 AM

There was a similar post sveral days ago with excellent information. If you search Marriott and then your destinations, a wealth of info. should come up. Have a greatr trip. Threehearts
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 12:15 PM

Here's one way to decide -- do you want a mega-resort (St. Kitts) or a smaller, non-high rise, more intimate resort (Curacao). While still large (200 rooms), Curacao Marriott has a more intimate feel, you are close to the beach (we had a beachfront room that was literally about 10 feet from the beach). It's a wonderful resort. I haven't been to SK Marriott, but the place is huge so that keeps turning me off. Also, the islands are very different -- Curacao is flatter, dry, and probably has better beaches (whiter sand and turquoise water, good snorkeling), St. Kitts is greener, more hills. Curacao had lots of great restaurants too. I've been to the Aruba Marriott -- I liked the Curacao Marriott much better.
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 07:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Not to hijack the post, but Eileen would you recommend the Curacao Marriott for families? My girls are pre-teens and we also collect Marriott pts. We also stayed at the Aruba Marriott last year on pts and had a great time. Thanks
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 08:06 PM

Cathy - as a PP said, I would say it really depends on what you want - a huge resort (st kitts) or something smaller. Both are very nice - I have been to both. They have a different feel - there is more to do on the property in St kitts only because its bigger, has lots of shops and restaurants, etc.
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 04:20 AM

Mim is there more to do on St. Kitts period or curacao as an island? Which island was a friendlier island?
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 06:28 AM

We actually have been to both Marriotts recently, one on points, and I'd give Curacao a slight edge. The beach, although a bit smaller, has a nicer cove for swimming and even snorkelling. Dining options in Curacao are better (Marriott not the highlight at either destination.) And the town of Williamstadt is unique and colorful. If you golf, on the other hand, the Royal St. Kitts course is great.
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 07:29 AM

Curacao is your better option. The resort is very pleasant and the staff is always smiling. They provide a shuttle to the downtown area twice a day. The hotel never feels crowded, has a nice beach, and two out of the three restuarants are excellent. The rooms and the bathrooms are very nice. I do recommend that you rent a car at least for one day to see the island, although do so knowing that the island is not well marked and study a map first. A word of warning to girlonthe go - Most of the visitors to this island are dutch. There is a fair amount of topless bathing on the beach if you would find that offensive with your daughters. They're not flaunting it, but it is their culture. This was a very difficult island and resort to leave - our favorite.
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 07:12 AM

For girlonthego re: Curacao Marriott for families -- we were there the week right before Easter and lots of families arrived on Thursday and Friday for the Easter holiday. I think it is an okay family destination but there's not a lot to do like an active kids club or organized teenage activities. There were lots of couples there. If your kids are happy with the pool and beach and maybe taking a snorkeling boat trip or touring around Curacao to see different beaches, it would be fine. But the Aruba Marriott is definitely more family oriented with much more to do. We went without our kids (ages 8 and 12) and I think they would have been a little bit bored. They were actually a tiny bit bored in Aruba, but the previous trip had been Hawaii and so it was hard to top that!
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 07:29 PM

Thanks Eileen. We took our kids to Aruba's Marriott last spring break. Mine are 11 and 12. They were not bored because their best friend and her family (which happens to be my best friend) went to the Aruba Marriott too. So, all of our kids had a great time together. I am looking into the idea of going to a Marriott next spring break. we are saving our points!! I was thinking of Grand Cayman's newly redone Mariott, but the Curacao one keeps getting so much praise here. Thanks for the info.
My kids are usually happy with beach/pool and an occasional activity!