Marriott Aruba Ocean Club

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 2003, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need some advice. My husband and I have the opportunity to stay at the Marriott Aruba Ocean Club for $600 for 5 nights/6 days in a villa. The catch is you have to listen to one of those 1 1/2 hour timeshare presentations. We have no intention of buying a timeshare - we would just be going for the reduced rate. Has anyone ever done this, specifically at the Aruba Ocean Club? Is there more of a catch to it than I think? Is the Aruba Ocean Club worth it? I really like the idea of having a kitchen to cook breakfast and lunch in so that we don't have to eat every meal out.
Old Apr 24th, 2003, 02:17 PM

The Marriott Ocean Club is one of my favorite resorts. We stayed there for Easter last year using Marriott Reward Points. We ran into several couples/families who were staying there as well on a promotion similar to yours - one where they got a reduced rate for the promise of attending the timeshare sales pitch. Everyone said the same thing - the sales people were good about accepting "no" but several of those families did indeed purchase a unit. I would stay there again in a heartbeat as a guest however I'm personally not a fan of timeshare. I realize it works for some, it's just not for our family.
Old Apr 24th, 2003, 02:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. My husband and I couldn't afford a timeshare even if we wanted one, so there is no way we would purchase anyway. Besides, we like to try out a different Caribbean island each year, and I would hate to be tied down to Aruba every year.
Old Apr 24th, 2003, 02:34 PM
Original Poster

I have a few more questions about the Marriott Ocean Club. The Marriott website gives so little information about it. It is oceanfront, correct? How far of a walk is it to the Marriott hotel next door?
Old Apr 24th, 2003, 03:16 PM

Hi Becca - yes, it's oceanfront. The resort is shaped like a "U" and all units have a balcony. Only a few of the units at the top of the "U" are truly oceanfront. We had a unit on the 3rd floor where if we craned our necks, we could see the ocean. The Marriot Resort is right next door and the great thing about this set up is you have signing rights at the Marriott Resort as well for the restaurants, pool bars, etc. We enjoyed our stay there very much and loved having a full suite. I understand the Marriott is currently building another timeshare unit next door to the Marriott Ocean Club - the name escapes me - sorry! If you think of anything else, let me know.
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 04:56 PM
Original Poster

Well, we booked the deal. We will be going the first week in July (7 nights) for $896 total. We will be given $50 when we check in. In all the research I did, I couldn't find anything negative about the timeshare presentations or these types of promotions. I will post a trip report when we get back.
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 06:07 AM

That's wonderful, Becca! Have a great time and I look forward to reading your trip report.