Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Looking for sunscreen recs for home and travel...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2005, 05:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, folks--

It's that time of year when my allergies act up and I need to shy away from wearing anything scented. I'm looking for a fragrance-free, oil-free, moisturizing sunblock. Anybody know of one? I'm currently using a two-step regimen of separate moisturizer and sunscreen but I would love to streamline even that.

Something that a local pharmacy or department store would carry would be good. Something that I would have to sell my soul to purchase would be less good. I currently use two Clinique products, so anything up to that price range would be fine. If they don't test on animals it would be even better. Thanks!
Old Apr 9th, 2005, 06:05 AM

Hi ej
Wish I had a first hand recommendation for you, but if it were me looking for something as you described I would head to my local health food store(not GNC type) for assistance and to read labels. Hopefully you have one near you that has a nice personal care section like ours does. I know my face is getting much more sensitive, and I should be looking into a more pure product as well.
Good luck, this will be a fun one to read! Carol
Old Apr 9th, 2005, 06:20 AM
mmcliff56

Hi, Now this is something I really have expertise in. Sunscreens. I am fair complected and have had trouble with some skin cancer. My recommendation is two products by Neutrogena. One is for wearing on your face called Healthy Defense moisturizer SPF 30. You put it on every morning. It doesn't feel like sunscreen and it really feels nice. The other is for the rest of you. Ultra Sheer Dry touch sunblock, SPF 30 or 45. I play alot of golf and these really work. Some sunscreens do not have the UVA/UVB protection that is necessary. These do. I also find that they don't clog my skin. Hope that helps. One is found in the lotion/ facial product area of Target, the other on the sunscreen shelf.

Old Apr 9th, 2005, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

THanks, mmcliff. I'm also extremely fair complexioned and I've not always been as good to my skin as I should be. I"ll check out the Neutragena that you recommend, but I should say that I"ve tried a couple of their facial products in the past and they tend to be either fragrance free or oil free (my face breaks out with added oil), and I really need both. Same thing with Oil of Olay products. I have friends who swear by both brands, but I've not been able to use them. It's sounds like I'm being tooky and/or vain, but for something I need to wear every day, well, I don't want to compromise.

I've had one person recommend a Sephora product, but the price is much higher for a smaller amoung of product than what I'm already using, so I figure I might as well just stick with what I know works. Any other suggestions?
Old Apr 9th, 2005, 12:05 PM

Have you checked any of the products by Philosophy? They are pricy but I love them. They have a combo moisturizer sunscreen called "when hope is not enough". I have ordered thru sephora or thru the philosphy website, www.philosphy.com
Old Apr 9th, 2005, 05:25 PM

Skinceuticals makes some nice products.
I have also been pleased with Shiseido.
Old Apr 10th, 2005, 04:07 AM

Clinique has an excellent sunscreen. I used the '25' ( recommended by my dermatologist, for the first time on my last Caribbean trip. In addition to having the features you want, it stays on great in the water. I was well satisfied with it.
Old Apr 10th, 2005, 06:10 AM

Precondition your skin to the sun before/during/after by using a 'pre-sun conditionner' -- normally found at tanning salons and some drug stores in the sun lotions section -- that has TYROSINE and/or COPPER PEPTIDES high on the ingredient list. This solo/duo will naturally raise the melanin in your skin (as a tan would). Doesn't replace sunblock -- but might replace the moisturizer with a double-duty function.
Old Apr 10th, 2005, 07:01 AM

Hi ejcrowe, I have the most sensitive skin on the planet and I use Biotherm 50 on my face and Banana Boat quick dry spray on my body. You have to reapply the Banana Boat more often than a cream based sunscreen but I like its alcohol like consistency. Neither of them breaks me out. Hope this helps! The Biotherm is about $20 for a small bottle, but again it's only for my face.
Old Apr 10th, 2005, 06:27 PM
mmcliff56

I don't like the oil of olay either and other neutrogena products did not do anything for me, but these 2 have. I also agree that philosophy makes some nice products, skinceuticals is very expensive and I was not sure it worked! I felt like I was burning through it. I have the spf30 for the face.

Old Apr 11th, 2005, 11:04 AM

With the euro being so high to the dollar now, my response may no longer be cost effective, but I too have sensitive skin, and my dermatologist recommended a product line called Anthelios. It is french (can be found in pharmacies in St. Martin, and is also available in Canada), comes in many formulations (cream, lotion, block, also tinted as a sub for face moisturizer) and best of all for me, it is PABA-free.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 02:18 PM
aks

I am fair and use 45 Water Babies Blockout by Coppertone, or Baby Magic 50 Sunblock by Banana Boat - all the sunscreen and blockout baby products work best for me. They are fragrance free but I'm not certain of their oil content. Also - If you have cranky skin look into the ProActive skin care line - it is THE BEST ! I use it with the baby block on top for daytime. www.proactive.com.
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 05:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again for all of the suggestions. Though I have a very fair complexion, I tend to use a 15 spf sunscreen all over. I've never had a problem with drugstore sunscreen on my body--it's just my face that reacts to the stuff with oil in it.

I just heard of the Philosophy line a couple of months ago when a friend bought me some fun products for my birthday. I'll check out that line of attack first.
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 06:05 AM

Clarins - I too have alergies and being a combination of Italian and red headed scots ancestry - I got the raw end of the deal on the skin type - clarins is the only one I have found that I don't react to.
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 06:07 PM

ejcrowe - did you ever check out the Philosophy sunscreen? I am so hooked on their products.