Looking for a seculded wedding location

Jul 14th, 2004, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

Looking for a seculded wedding location

I am looking to get married in the tropics at the end of May and am looking for suggestions for places that are non-touristy and not too far from the US. Maybe the Virgin Islands or the Bahamas. There will be a group of about 20 and so there can be things near to keep them busy, I just don't want to be married in front of a beach full of tourists. Any suggestions?
Jul 14th, 2004, 11:59 AM

We stayed near this resort on Cat Island ( Bahamas ) . Definitely qualifies as seculded. You'd need to inquire as to whether the can handle a group of twenty. I know you'll have the beach to yourselves.

http://sammytbahamas.com/

Congratulations on your wedding.
Jul 15th, 2004, 03:57 PM

Two other locations come to mind. Tahiti Beach on Elbow Cay. Rent homes on Elbow. Stay at Dolphin Beach Resort and get married on the beach at the resort. Both locations are in the Abacos.
Jul 16th, 2004, 06:34 AM

I haven't been to Harbour Island (Bahamas) in about three years, but I loved it so much that, if we had had a destination wedding, it would have been there. The island is three miles long, and the beachfront is about two miles. We went in April, and I vividly remember walking the length of the beach and not encountering more than 10 or 15 people (at the most) each time.

It's a charming island, with excellent restaurants, and one fun dance club. The beach and water are gorgeous, There are very few cars on the island, so everyone drives around in golf carts. It may be that there aren't enough activiities to keep your guests happy--if they'll want motorized water sports, etc., it may not be the place for them.

Also, we stayed in a house, but the Pink Sands Resort looked great.

Best of luck with your wedding.
Jul 16th, 2004, 06:36 AM

Forgot to mention that there's a wonderful bakery in HI called Arthur's (we had breakfast there almost every morning), owned by a husband/wife. They also do wedding planning--I'm sure you'd find them on any Harbour Island websites.
Jul 16th, 2004, 06:49 AM

I would also recommend Abacos (elbow cay or guana cay) in the bahamas. We were there in April 04. It is popular with famalies but is not touristy. The beaches are gorgeous and empty. We stayed at the hopetown harbor lodge and there was a couple who got married on the beach while we were there. However there are no glamorous resorts on the island. You could rent a house on either Guana or Elbow. Guana is quieter than Elbow but in my opinion more pictureque. There are several activities to keep your guests occupied including great snorkelling, a lighthouse, daytrips to nearby cays, and ofcourse several beaches. Goodluck and Congratulations.

Search this Thread