Search

Which Currency is Best in Montego Bay?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13th, 2004, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which Currency is Best in Montego Bay?

Caribbean Experts,
I'm headed to Montego Bay for the first-time on July 16th and I wanted to know if I'll get better deals shopping with US or Jamaican currency?
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 12:39 PM

We just returned and used USD for everything, which worked fine. They quoted everything we were purchasing in USD, so they seem well prepared.

I have heard conflicting reports though. Word is that the USD will buy more Jamaican dollars, therefore you make out in the long run. My experience with the group we traveled with, it all worked out the same, for those that did use the Jamaican dollar, because they pretty much convert it to be equal.

I am sure others are going to have their opinion...mine is stay with the USD.
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 05:37 AM

I agree with the above post, USD are widely accepted through-out Jamaica, in fact, I took a trip to Dunns River Falls and there were some vendors outside when you come out of the park who was selling their goods. I told them that I only had credit cards, one of them stated "no problem" and produced a machine (the kind that makes an inprint). I did purchase a couple of items from them. You don't have to exchange your USD for Jamaican currency.
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 12:37 PM

I remember a time when the Jamaican government "required" you to exchange your currency. This was the early 80's and they were trying desperately to keep US currency out of circulation in Jamaica to keep their currency from falling. No more - I'd just use US dollars all the time.

One suggestion - take lots of ones, fives, and tens. Nobody ever has any change for larger bills, and if they think you only have twentys, they'll find a way to jack up the price so that's what it takes. In the main shops you can always use credit cards too, which just makes it easier, but if you are doing any bargaining in the craft markets, street vendors, etc you will definitely need cash. When you ask about prices make sure you are clear which currency they are discussing. US ones are great for tips, which absolutely everybody in Jamaica expects for everything. If you are staying in an all-inclusive like SuperClubs or Sandals, then tipping is not allowed on the property at all which is great, but anything you do off property - use small bills!!
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 03:00 PM

In any of the resort areas you can use US currency with very little actual difference in the relative value. If you wander away from the tourist areas you might get a better exchange rate from a private vendor. At least it used to work that way. Last few times there I exchanged enough US$ into J$ for most purchases, but I dont stay in a tourist area.

Good advice about having small bills though.
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 09:34 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your advice. I greatly appreciate it!
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 08:09 AM

A dissenting view....we always change our money.

Often if you use US$ you will get JA$ back in change (and the above poster's point on change is a good one- no matter what you use have small bills) so you'll have to deal with both - we prefer to use only one and JA$ are accepted EVERYWHERE.

We do travel away from the tourist areas and once i tried to buy a pattie somewhere in Portland with US$ and that totally stumped the woman selling them - she had to ask a few people standing around what the rate was, it was a haslle.

It's Jamaica, so I use Jamaican money.

I find I generally get better deals on things with J's too - using US$ sort of marks you as a newer visitor that might be persuaded to pay more for things.
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 08:10 AM

PS: forgot the other reason - if a restaurant does quote in JA$ (less of an issue in MoBay but if you travel, even to Negril, it can be), you'll have to accept whatever exchange rate the restaurant feels like giving you.

If you do change money, use a cambio or bank - NOT the airport, their rate is awful.