Search

Jamaica money exchange

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2009, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jamaica money exchange

We are from the US and heading to Jamaica. Do we need to do any money exchanging or can we use the US dollars?
Old Apr 21st, 2009, 12:02 PM

When I was in Jamaica, I used the ATMs to get local currency. I found that some places took US dollars, but I found you did much better if you used Jamaican currency... Of course, credit cards also worked most places.....
Old Apr 21st, 2009, 05:17 PM

I recommend using USD until you can get to a cambio to exchange into $J or and ATM which will distribute the local currency as well. Depending on where you are staying and where you'll be doing most of your dining, drinking, shopping, etc, of course. Many menus are in USD, but most of the local places are in $J. The exchange rate is about $1USD to $90J right now. That is as high as I have ever seen it. Good for us, bad for the Jamaican people, of course.
Old Apr 21st, 2009, 05:18 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the replies.
Old Apr 29th, 2009, 01:34 PM

definitely go to a cambio as soon as you can to exchange into JMD as the USD rates are not the best. HOWEVER, it also depends where you are staying and if you are spending all your money in your hotel, or locally. If in your hotel, just stick with the USD, but if you are going out and about, having local currency will save you big time.
Old May 9th, 2009, 09:42 AM

It's always better for you to change into JA as everything will be cheaper in local currency. Do NOT change your money at your hotel if you want the best rate. Head to either a bank or a licensed cambio.