COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Money in Jamaica

Old Mar 5th, 2004, 12:57 AM
Georgiana

Money in Jamaica

Is it necessary to change USD into Jamaican Dollars????

Old Mar 5th, 2004, 05:42 AM

No need to change USD into Jamaican dollars. If you do need Jamaican dollars do as I do, use an ATM. Better exchange rate and no long lines.
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 06:52 AM

Do you plan to spend most of your time in a resort or will you be out and about?

If the former, no need to change money.

If the latter, I find it easier to use JA$. Most prices are quoted in JA$ and change is usually given in JA$ so you will be using it whether you want to or not. If you leave the tourist areas and go into the country, you definitely need JA$...my experience has been that people outside tourist areas don't want US$ - they have to change it - and they don't know the exchange rate so there you are in a little bakery on a tiny road in a small village trying to buy coco bread and no one knows what to charge you

In Negril, MoBay, Ochi there are "cambios" in supermarkets and on their own - these will change cash or traveler's checks and their rates are as good as the ATMs or banks. ATMs are around but don't count on using them exclusively, they break/run out of money at times.

We bring the bulk of our $ in traveler's checks because I tend to lose things and they get replaced if I do. If you have AAA you can get them for free. We also bring an ATM card and credit card in case.

You will need a credit card to rent a car but usually don't need one for a scooter.

Right now the rate is almost $60J to $1, I've heard $59-1
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 06:54 AM

oops, hit post too soon.

I've heard 59-1 at cambios in Negril last week.

Do NOT change your $ at hte airport - the rate there is AWFUL. You can use US$ to get to your hotel or wherever you're headed.

I also bring a lot of small US$ - 1's and 5's, as small bills (in JA$ or US$) can be surprisingly hard to come by and 1's are good for tips.
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 07:59 AM

Go to The Gemini Shop on Gloucester Ave as you're heading from airport into MoBay and then Negril or South Coast.
It's a small hole-in-the-wall souvenir/duty free shop with often the best exchange rate around. SuperPlus supermarket, next to KFC in MoBay, also has a cambio. JA$1,000 bills are most common/bring some US$1s and US$5s which you'll find handy for smaller purchases, a Red Stripe, etc. US dollars acceptable everywhere -- tho your change will be in JA.
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 09:22 AM

Liza's advice is well founded. Outside the tourist areas I would definately reccommend using JA$. I have had pretty good luck with ATM's. Sometimes you can get pretty good rates exchanging US$ from vendors and such but it isn't always the safest.

Also good advice about the airport. Go to your hotel or ATM. Those who need tipped usually don't mind US$. And if you decide to venture out in a rented car, there is nothing better than a crisp US$5 or US$10 to give as a souvenir to a local traffic cop.
Old Mar 6th, 2004, 06:43 AM

Wear a seat belt in the front seat of any car on island or your US$10 'gift' to the local traffic cop will be an obligatory fine.
Old Mar 6th, 2004, 06:48 AM

True enough tivertonhouse. I automatically put on my seat belt and often don't think to advise it. One should always save that souvenir for a deserving recipient lol.
Actually the police, while quite imposing with their guns and steel helmets are quite friendly. Once they have determined that you have no drugs in the car they want to know what you're doing? where your staying and where you come from...just like everyone else you meet.
Old Mar 7th, 2004, 01:08 AM

SamH:The new fines are really a shame since my extensive collection of honorary tickets to Policeman & Friends Association 'Balls and Bashments' has now become vintage...
Old Mar 7th, 2004, 05:58 AM

tivertonhouse, off the subject, but maybe you know. Are they doing any more work on the Highway 2000? Going to Old Harbour Bay from MayPen I had to go thru the toll, U-Turn then go back thru again. Paid JA$50 each way. I was leery of taking the local road thru Old Harbour the first few days and they closed the old exit.
By the way, you need JA$ for your toll.
Old Mar 7th, 2004, 08:50 PM

Roadwork only gets done at election time (cf. MoBay to Ochi, MoBay to Ferris Cross). Haven't been down Old Harbour/Maypen for quite a while, Sam, but am visiting Ann Sutton in May down there so will let you know if you don't experience 1st hand before me...