Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Please HELP: Where to go for our honeymoon??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2004, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm new to this site, and it has been such a great help already for reasearch. However, I would like to ask all of you seasoned Caribbean veterans where you would go for a honeymoon next June. So far, I am torn between The Caves (and maybe a few extra nights somewhere less expensive, Rock House??) in Negril OR Ti Kaye Village and/or Ladera Resort in St. Lucia. Neither of us have ever taken a vacation like this, and we want it to be really special/romantic but would like to add some of the local flair... not a large, touristy resort. Other suggestions would be great, but if not, which of those destinations would you choose??
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 05:44 PM

I have to say that we loved Negril when we were there in May. The cliffs looked great & the beach is excellent. People were incredibly friendly too. I have heard good things about both places that you mentioned in Negril. Try posting at www.negril.com. Their message board has many repeat visitors to both places. Another good place to check is www.tropictravelonline.com. I have seen some posts & pictures of Rockhouse there. I posted some of our Negril pictures there & I think there is 1 or 2 of Rockhouse from the outside.

Another place to check in Negril is Moon Dance Villas. For about the cost of an AI you can have a private villa with your own cook & bartender. Food is served with flowers & tablecloth in your villa. You choose whatever you'd like & they fix it.

Good luck whatever you decide.
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 09:30 PM

If you go to Negril, I would suggest a few days on the beach and finish up your trip on the cliffs. Idle Awhile (the 1 bedroom oceanfront suite) or Moondance villas on the beach would be great for a honeymoon. I have never toured the Caves...they don't encourage that, but it looks fabulous if money is no object. I love the Rockhouse (villas)...great restaurant & infinity pool. It's all good.
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 05:02 AM
Original Poster

Wow! Thanks for the great advice. Moon Dance looks awesome! The budget won't allow too many nights there, but maybe we'll do a few there and five or six at Rockhouse...so excited! Any tips on getting the best airfare to Jamaica (we're in Ohio with reasonable access to Columbus, Cincinnati and Dayton airports)??
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 05:47 AM

We live east of Columbus and fly out of there...I usually go in the winter when rates are higher..between $550 to $700 each...I'm sure they must be much lower in June. We used to fly Delta with a connection in Atlanta, because you could be there by 11:30 if you took the early flight. This year I'm flying Northwest w/ connections in Memphis...worked great last year. I would just start checking fares early next year on the usual websites, Expedia, travelocity, cheaptickets, etc....
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 07:43 AM

I have consistently found the lowest fares at www.onetravel.com I also downloaded Sidestep to get all the comparisons.
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 07:02 PM

Negril gets my vote, it beach is awsome you can walk for miles. The Sunset is to die for, so take lots of film..
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 07:11 PM

It depends on your budget. I have been to over 10 islands in the Caribbean and although I loved Jamaica, we stayed at the Jamaica Inn, I would choose another island for my honeymoon. Maybe Antigua, Anguilla, Palm Island or Grenada. It just depends on what you are looking for. . .
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 07:19 AM

I watched a show on the Travel channel yesterday. It was Top 10 Caribbean beaches & there were some neat places. Negril got #3. Montego Bay was #10. Some of the places were remote & super expensive but Negril still gets my vote. St Lucia wasn't on there but Cancun was (#8?).
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 07:35 AM

I would have to tell you that Jamaica has some wonderful spas and is also just a great island for some quiet reading. The beaches are excellent and the food is wonderful. Best wishes.
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to you all for the great suggestions! I emailed Moon Dance, and they have availabiltiy in their one bedroom villa (Lilac Mist) for our dates! Still waiting for Rockhouse's reply, but I think we are leaning heavily toward this Jamaican itinerary. Can't wait to get it booked...then the waiting begins! Thanks again!