Beach Wedding in USA

Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beach Wedding in USA

I have a friend whose daughter wants a beach wedding in the Carribbean--they are trying to convince her to have it in the USA on the East Coast--which beach would be the best for August/ Sept 2008? Money is not a problem and this will be an upscale wedding--so a good resort would be a must to accommodate the guests. I have possibly thought of South Carolina..but which resort???

Thanks for your help!
Jen
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:10 PM

Uh, the East Coast of the United States comprises a VERY large area. You'll need to seriously narrow it down a bit. I recently saw a wedding set-up at the Ritz-Carlton in South Beach and it was stunning.
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:25 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
http://www.seaisland.com/planyoureve...gs-venues.html

The Cloister - Sea Island, GA
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:28 PM

Runner up to the Cloister -
A Ritz somewhere -
Here's the one on Amelia Island -
http://www.ritzcarlton.com/en/Proper...nd/Default.htm
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:52 PM

The beach at Cumberland Island GA is really pretty. The island is mostly undeveloped. Greyfield Inn has wedding services
http://www.greyfieldinn.com/weddings.html
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:57 PM

The problem with Cumberland is that you have to ferry over from Fernandina and there is limited space for overnight guests at Greyfield. But, folks could stay at the Ritz on Amelia if you wanted, I guess.

I think JFK Jr got special permission to have folks flown in - but not sure about that.
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 01:06 PM

Starrs, you are right. I didn't know how many guests they need to accomodate, so it might work. Looks like the hotel would make arrangements for transportation for those who needed it. Also didn't know how resort-y a resort they want, but if they want more seclusion/natural area it might be a good choice.

Mind you, I have not been to Greyfield Inn and it is unlikely to be in my budget in this lifetime but it is a pretty beach.
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 02:14 PM

Maybe look into Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard are excellent choices on the East Coast and offer an "island feel". These are both very popular destinations for weddings so there are many resort options available depending upon the size of the group.

Another option: Newport Rhode Island or Block Island.

Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 02:21 PM

I don't know if it is exactly beach, but the Inn at Palmetto Bluffs outside Savannah is supposed to be wonderful.
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 03:32 PM

If money is not an issue, then I highly recommend a beach wedding on Block Island with the reception at the Sullivan House on Corn Neck Road. The location is stunning overlooking the Atlantic Ocean in one direction and the Great Salt Pond with its many colorful boats in the other direction. The innkeeper is a superb chef who personalizes the menus. Guests can stay at the Sullivan House and depending on the number of guests, they can also stay at other hotels on the island.

The island itself is 12 square miles with more than 40 percent of the land open to the public so it's a great place for people to explore. If I were planning a wedding there, I would choose September, a gorgeous month on the island with fewer tourists because families with kids have gone back home to the mainland for the school year. The island is accessible by ferry from Pt. Judith, Rhode Island or by airplane from Westerly, Rhode Island or Providence.

The one caveat I would pass along is that brides who get married on Block Island find that everyone wants to come to the island for a wedding so if you want 40 guests, invite only 40 guests and not 50.

The website to view is:
www.thesullivanhouse.com

Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 03:56 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your help! I think it should be private and away from tourists. I am inclined to mention the Cloisters to my friend--I have no idea how many friends and family they will invite. Surely more than if they gone to an island in the Carribbean. Logistics is why the family is trying to convince them to stay on the main land.

Jen
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 04:01 PM

The Cloister has been THE place to honeymoon in the deep south for decades. They just completed a major renovation. It is simply elegant. It also has "enough to do" to keep folks with different interests busy and will help the couple create a wonderful wedding.

Can't go wrong, in other words
http://www.seaisland.com/
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:56 PM

We have been to two weddings on the beach at the Ritz Carlton Amelia Island and they were both lovely. Also a fabulous place to stay. We also enjoyed shopping in the town of Fernandina Beach on Amelia Island.
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 06:29 PM

If you want upscale I would consider the following places:
Castle Hill Inn--Newport, R.I.
The Cloister-- Georgia
Four Seasons Biltmore-- Santa Barbara
The Wauwinet-- Nantucket
Will

Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 03:58 PM

http://www.southernliving.com/southe...634245,00.html

Just found this article on the Cloister while looking for something else.
Old Jan 24th, 2008, 05:17 AM

August/September is the peak of HURRICANE season. Be careful of where you pick and make sure you can change dates if some big storm is an uninvited guest to the wedding.

I'd go with a different season if your friends want a east coast beach wedding.
Old Jan 24th, 2008, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

I love the Cloisters, but the Mother of the Bride said that they want a beach wedding and that they prefer in Mexico or the Caribean and children must be allowed--not adult only. They will have to have two ceremonies if they go this route as they now have at least 150-200 people who will want to attend and many are from Iran-bride's family. I told them to decide on approximately how many people to in vite in each location and if they want children perhaps it would be easier for the ceremony within the 48 continental US states.

Jen
Old Jan 24th, 2008, 08:17 AM

????
Why not the beach at the Cloister?
Children are more than welcomed at the Cloister. Generations return for their family vacation year after year.
Old Jan 24th, 2008, 08:20 AM

http://www.seaisland.com/

#2 in the top 50 Family Resorts.
Old Jan 24th, 2008, 09:58 AM

Check the "One and Only" resort group that has locations on Paradise Island (Bahamas) and Palmilla (Mexico). It's definitely a splurge. Cindy Crawford married here (in the Bahamas). http://www.oneandonlyresorts.com

And...if they decide on the bahamas, what kids (and adults) don't love the Atlantis on Paradise Island? That's another option. More of a mega resort. http://www.atlantis.com/

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -