Looking for a good,budget guesthouse or inn for 1 night...Isla Verde PR

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2007, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be staying in PR for one night...then on to Vieques.Does anyone know of a good priced nice guest house in the area?

thanks in advance!
Christie
Old May 6th, 2007, 05:17 PM

What about the Numero Uno guesthouse? Frequent poster HowardC recommends this place. I've never been there but I'm having lunch there tomorrow during my ginormous layover. I'll post when I get back!
Old May 7th, 2007, 02:13 AM
Original Poster

ej,
Hi!Where are you off too?Have fun!

Christie
Old May 7th, 2007, 11:45 AM

EJ is off to Grenada. When ever we lay over we stay at Numero Uno. It is not in Isla Verde but in Ocean Park right on the beach. About 15 min from the airport. $15 Cab Ride. Numero Uno is small and all the rooms have been recently redecorated. One of the reasons we stay there is we love Pamelas restaurant. You can eat dinner right in the beach. A really good Continental breakfast is included in the room rate. Wonderful pastries. The toll free number is 1-888-726-5010. If you call you will probably get Derrick--nice guy. Don't have current room rates but the 2004 rates were Economy $80, Moderate $125 and ocean view $165. If you stay there have Derrick make reservations at Pamelas out side. Numero Uno is at 1 Santa Anna Ocean Beach. Are you flying to Vieques or taking the ferry from Fajardo?? If the later I can recommend a very nice taxi driver,
Old May 7th, 2007, 03:20 PM
Original Poster

Howard,

We are taking the ferry.We are going with another couple to Vieques.They want to parasail...in Vieques no one offers it..so we are debating staying on PR one night to get in parasailing and maybe a rainforest tour.

Christie
Old May 8th, 2007, 08:06 AM

If you arrive in PR early enough Derrick can probably arrange parasailing for you. Then you could overnight and do the rain forest on the way to Fajardo for the Ferry the next day. Recommend Ivette Jiminez for the Cab. She does rain forest tours too. She was our driver to Fajardo and is very nice. The cab from Numero Uno was $60 for two. Don't know what she would charge for four with a stop at the rain Forest. Her phone is 787-505-3468 or 787-268-5156. Best to schedule a cab in advance and Derrick can do this for you as he knows Ivette. If you stay there also make dinner reservations in advance and ask for outside. If you do the bio bay tour in Vieques recommend Island Adventures rather than kayaks.
Old May 8th, 2007, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Howard!!You are very helpful!Is the snorkeling better in Vieques?

Thanks!
Christie
Old May 11th, 2007, 01:19 PM

Sorry it took me a while to answer your last question re snorkeling. I didn't find it anything to rave about. Perhaps we didn't go to the right place. Snorkeled at Red Beach and it was okay. Did hear Blue beach was better for snorkeling. Also snorkeled by Whispering pier which is past the airport. As you face the pier I snorkeled on the left hand side. Never saw so many starfish which was cool. Might be worthwhile to ask locals about snorkel spots or consider a snorkel trip from Esperanza. If you haven't rented a car do so before you arrive. Rentals are scarce on Vieques. Also make sure you have a rental confirmation number. We used Martineau car rental. Restaurants. Don't know where you are staying but Vieques is not a gourmets paradise but there are a few good restaurants. Blue Macaw at Inn on the Blue Horizon was quite good. Prefer the bar area rather than the more formal dining area. Bananas is good for lunch. Didn't eat dinner there. Crows Nest has very good steak. Chez Shack was also excellent but heard the chef left so don't know what it's like now. Think they have a BBque on Monday night with entertainment but call first. Also enjoyed Media Luna in Isabella II. Sort of a tapas menu. Run by a husband/wife team and she cooks in an open kitchen. Be careful driving around the island especially at night. Horses and livestock roam free. Almost had a lot of ground hurger meat the night we went to Chez Shack. Came over a hill and there was a bull in the middle of the road. Could have been nasty.
Old May 12th, 2007, 02:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks soo much for all of your help!I will definitely drive carefully and lookout for livestock!

Christie
Old May 14th, 2007, 03:52 AM

HI Christie
Chez Shack is now closed for the season.
Our favorite place to eat if we are going out is Tradewinds. They make a great pina colada too.
There is a building across from the Green Store that has the best pizza we have ever had!
Island Steakhouse is closed for the season.
you can get mexican on Tuesday nights at the Coqui Cafe. Good and great prices. They also do mexican breakfast on mon, tues, thurs and fri.
Mamasonga is great for lunch(awesome burgers) and nice dinners.
A friend of ours saw Bill Gates at Richard's Cafe the other day!
Have a fun trip.
We snorkeled the left side of Mosquito pier (out past the airport) recently and it was pretty good. Also Green Beach had some nice fans. It does not compare to STJ, but I still enjoy snorkeling there and love the island!
Old May 15th, 2007, 05:36 PM
Original Poster

Mahobaygirl,
Thanks for your warm wishes and advice.

Christie
Old May 15th, 2007, 05:41 PM
Original Poster

EJ and Howard,

Numero Uno did not have a room available for the night that we needed..so we are staying at a place named Casa La Playa (I believe that's the name of it..my friend who is going with us reserved the room)

Thanks for everyone's help!!

We have reserved Amapola Inn in Vieques..we really wanted Casa La lanchita but I waited too long and now it's not available.

I am getting really excited and ready to go!

Christie
Old May 16th, 2007, 03:13 AM

Hope this trip works out for you, Christie, and that you have a great time. I know you had a couple of false starts with recent trip planning!

Numero Uno was doing construction and renovation it looked like on their rooms, so perhaps that's one of the reasons they didn;t have a vacancy...
Old May 16th, 2007, 06:32 AM
Original Poster

ej,

Yeah..I was hoping to go to Negril.I guess that will have to be later this year or next.Time just kept slipping by not realizing it was too risky to get our passports and them be here in time for the trip.

I am excited about Vieques..it looks relaxing and refreshing!This trip will be more of a beachbum trip for me!So I guess that it is good that we are going to a smaller island than Jamaica..because I plan to really explore in Negril.

How was your trip to Grenada (was it??)?

Christie
Old May 16th, 2007, 08:41 PM

To Howard C. We will be in Vieques for three or four nights in late November. Whom is the Taxi driver you would recommend.
Old Jun 12th, 2008, 05:14 AM

I just stayed at Numero Uno Guesthouse over Memorial Day weekend, and I loved it. I highly recommend Numero Uno for its location and excellent service. Derrick and staff do a great job. I paid $99.00 per night plus tax for the "economy room," which did not face the beach, but it was quiet and had a remodelled bathroom. Also, Pamela's Restaurant inside the guesthouse serves excellent meals; Pamela's is pricey but worth it. You will need taxi service or have to rent a car to stay here since it's located in a residential neighborhood and not within walking distance of much except their Museum of Modern Art in Santurce.