Beware Tu Casa Guest House, Ocean Park, San Juan

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18th, 2004, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We just got back from San Juan and had a wonderful time only because we turned around what could have been a horrendous vacation. We had booked a "suite" with a "terrace with an ocean view" at Tu Casa in Ocean Park. We walked into our one dingy room and walked out onto our "terrace" and when we looked past several air conditioning units, two parking lots, a running track and a street, lo and behold! there in the distance was the ocean. The hotel is located at the very end of Ocean Park just inside the gates in a seedy neighborhood surrounded by noisy, unsightly construction projects. The beach in that section is rundown and filthy with broken glass, etc. We had been totally mislead by the people at the hotel as well as the latest Frommers book, which listed it as a "Find". The only thing we had to "find" was a new hotel, which we did. Luckily, there was a cancellation at Numero Uno two days into our stay. That hotel is lovely and the staff is friendly and helpful. It seems like Frommer's didn't visit Tu Casa before reviewing it. This is certainly no "boutique hotel" as it had been described. Stay away.
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 05:43 PM

sorry for your problems. We are booked in NUmero Uno and I am glad you liked Numero Uno. How are superior rooms there? Was the beach windy?
thanks
Sophia
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 05:46 PM

also, is the beach nice at Numero Uno? It is also located in ocean park - is it the same beach as tu casa?
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 03:04 PM

I've never stayed in a room at Numero Uno, but I know that this property is very nice and very well run. The extremely popular restaurant Pamela's is in this little hotel. The beach is the same as Tu Casa's, but Numero Uno is to the west. I've been on this beach many times (most recently just 5 days ago) and think it is a great urban beach. The beach is very long and broad, with golden sand. There is some surf, but if you go out a little, it can be quite clear. By "urban" I mean that there are houses and condo buildings running along it, so don't expect it to be secluded. I think you've made a good choice with the Numero Uno. While you're there, walk to Kasalta on McLeary Street for breakfast or lunch.
Old Jul 24th, 2004, 04:56 AM

My husband and I have decided on PR for our vacation in March - after much research we have decided on five nights at Numero Uno in Ocean Park and five nights on Vieques - we have not decided on our accomodations on Vieques yet but we are leaning heavily toward the Haciendo Tamarindo.

As for Numero Uno, we decided (after several e-mails with the front desk there) that we would book an "economy" room. We hope we aren't making a mistake - but if the rooms are clean and the inn itself is in a great location we can live for a while in a "Small room" - the rooms are $70.00 per night cheaper than the moderate rooms - which still don't have an Ocean View. We figure since we are "splurging" on Vieques (if we do stay at the Hacienda Tamarindo - we are going for the Caribbean Deluxe Rooms) we can save a little at Numero Uno.

Two questions if anyone can answer them

Just how small are the economy rooms at Numero Uno?

Do all of the Caribbean Deluxe Rooms at the Hacienda Tamarindo have terraces or balconies? I asked this question of the hotel and I got the standard reply of "look on our website" - but the website doesn't tell me what I want to know.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old Nov 1st, 2004, 12:15 PM

Luckily, Tu Casa closed!
Old Nov 1st, 2004, 01:14 PM

We overnighted at Numero uno on our way back from Anguilla and in transit to Vieques last Feb. Stayed in an economy room -#1- which was right next to the office. It was about 9x12 with king sized bed and mini-fridge. No View. It was clean and more than adequate for one night. Love Pamelas restaurant. Ask for a table on the beach. The continental breakfast part of the room rate is very good. Have stayed at Wyndham Martineau Bay on Vieques twice. Very nice. We are spending two nights at Numero Uno again on the way back from Anguilla end of Nov just to eat at Pamelas. This time we have an ocean view room