Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Please help, all inclusive suggestions for an all girls trip? Turning out to be harder than I thought.

Please help, all inclusive suggestions for an all girls trip? Turning out to be harder than I thought.

Jun 11th, 2008, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

Trying to plan a "girls trip". We are 4 women 37-50 in age. We are not big partiers. Looking for an all-inclusive, CALM water, nice accomodations. Budget is 800/person including air. Can this be done? I've been looking at Cancun, thought it would be best for the money. Beaches seem to be all rough water. AI's in our price range seem to get slammed reviews. If we show up and the place is a dump these ladies (myself included) will wigg out. I was thinking Cancun (none of us have been there) just to go out and do a little t-shirt shopping in the evenings with-in walking distance. I'm starting to think (based on other forums) that Cancun is going to be full of drunk teenage partiers, maybe more so than other places. We are traveling in Oct. for 3 nights from Cinnci, so don't want to spend too much time traveling. Any other suggestions or places I should try? Bahama's, Jamaica, other parts of Mexico? Please help, thank you,
Jun 11th, 2008, 12:04 PM

For what it is worth because of its relatively low pricing as far as Caribbean destinations go Cancun is a popular "Spring Break" destination which is probably what is being referred to when you hear about "drunk teenage partiers". Aside from that time period (i.e. late Winter or early Spring) you'll find a more adult or family oriented crowd so don't cross it off your list.

You can also look at AI resorts in Playa del Carmen (just south of Cancun) and Cozemel where you can probably find what you are seeking for your budget. The Dominican Republic Republic anmd Jamaica also have a wide selection of moderately priced AI's that would fit your budget.
Jun 11th, 2008, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

RoamsAround,

Thank you for your response. The other Mexico destinations you mentioned. Playa and Cosomel, do they have calmer water, nicer beaches than Cancun?

Thanks
Jun 11th, 2008, 12:28 PM

You'll probably have to do the Dominican Republic, there are more lower cost options there.

The problem you'll have is your budget. After airfare, $800 isn't going to go very far.
Jun 11th, 2008, 12:51 PM

We found the waters at Playa del Carmen to be a bit calmer than at Cancun. Cozemel was similar to PDC.

Agree with wyatt92 that your per person budget is on the low side especially if you are including airfare. Your best bet is to check for package deals - available on some airline and travel websites or from your local travel agent. You can also find the advertised heavily in the Sunday Travel Section of most major newspapers.

Be prepared to "settle" as you won't get 4-star accomodations at that price.
Jun 11th, 2008, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I've been searching Apple Vacations, Orbitz, etc. I am finding the budget it a bit tight for what we want. I'll keep searching for the right deal.
Jun 11th, 2008, 01:58 PM

Apple and Fun Jet are your best bets for a good deal.
I prefer the Riviers Maya/Playa area to Cancun.
Look into the Gran Porto Real. It's right in Playa so you have the town right there.
You may also want to look into a non AI or a condo in Playa del Carmen.
Jun 11th, 2008, 03:17 PM
Original Poster

Schmerl,

WOW, good call Schmerl. Gran Porto Real looks like EXACTLY what we are looking for. Calm water beach, all inclusive, nice accomodations and within walking distance to a little shopping. Problem is I'm not finding it on any of the vacation package sites. Who do you book through when booking this property?
Jun 11th, 2008, 07:03 PM

The airfare is going to be the problem- otherwise you could stay at somewhere like Shangri-la Caribe that includes breakfast and dinner at a very reasonable price. I have been searching for airfare myself to Cancun for a fall Playa trip and it is unbelievably high these days- that is going to be the hangup. I never got an AI including air to work out for less than $1100 per person (for 3 adults) for November and I priced a lot of places. I hope you are luckier that you are flying out of a major city and can perhaps make it work for close to your budget.
Jun 12th, 2008, 07:11 AM

Winnie,
Contact a travel agent. Do you have Liberty Travel in your area? Apple and Fun Jet don't carry all the resorts.
Jun 12th, 2008, 07:23 AM

Winnie,
Try this travel agent. She's fantastic. She's in Texas, but that doesn't matter. She really knows Mexico and the resort there.
www.tripsurfer.net
Jun 12th, 2008, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Schmerl,

I'm calling her now.
Jun 12th, 2008, 06:08 PM

Let us know what you decide.