Search

Lodging in St. Lucia?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 10:35 AM
ncardillo

Lodging in St. Lucia?

Can't decide between the Jalousie Hilton or the little known Stonefield Villas just above the Hilton. Any suggestions?

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 11:21 AM
Mary

I've heard only wonderful things about the Jalousie. Haven't heard a single thing about Stonefield Villas. There may be a reason for that - don't know. I know the Ladera Resort is right above the Hilton. Not thinking of that are you?

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 11:35 AM
xxxx

I've stayed at Jalouise and I thought it was wonderful. We had our our private villa up on the mountains with our private plunge pool. There is a beach bar where you can eat lunch on the shore. The Plantation Restaurant in the Great House serves a delicious, elegant meal. The staff was so helpful and there are many trips and tours that are available for you to do...like a safari to a waterfall, horseback riding to an active volcano called Sulfur Springs and many other things.<BR><BR>If you do chose Jalouise there is a place called "The Bang" that is located just out side the resort between the Piton mts. Wonderful food and a great beach party once a week. <BR><BR>There are many other things I could tell you but I'd be typing for awhile. So if you have any other questions just post them and I'll see it I can answer them for you. <BR><BR>Would you be flying into the north or south end of the island? Jalouise is south and the roads are horrible. I flew into the north and had a 2 hour ride along the worst roads I've ever seen (I actually got sick). But the scenery was beautiful.

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 09:39 AM
Kay

My husband and I stayed at Ladera right above the Hilton for our honeymoon. We went to down to the Hilton for the beach and for dinner a couple of times. The HIlton property is beautiful. I did not see Stonefiled so can't comment on that. The Hilon is large and a resort where as STonefild I think is small and intimate. <BR><BR>WE did go to the Bang for dinner and highly recommend it for the night they have their floor show.<BR><BR>I have a full trip report and pictures at www.seashelltravel.com<BR><BR>

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 11:03 AM
ncardillo

Ladera was my first choice, but strangely, they are closed when I am planning to be there. Severe disappointment! <BR><BR>After some more research, Stonefield Villas has shuttles that go to the Jalousie which is about 5-10 minutes away. The few reviews that I have found in books do recommend Stonefield, but who knows. I am looking for privacy, uniqueness, and great view.<BR><BR>Unfortunately, I am flying into Castries because this is the only airport that American flies into. After reading these reviews, the helicopter is looking more and more appealing.

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 11:06 AM
Mary

Definitely do the helicopter at least one way. We were scheduled to but it was canceled due to a long airport delay. A taxi driver had then told us that the helicopter was really the best way to see the island. We had scheduled a tour and transfer from the airport for, I believe, about $100 per person. We were really disappointed it didn't happen.

Old Sep 9th, 2002, 09:40 AM
Gretchen

We stayed at the Jalousie. The Jalousie is between the Pitons and Stonefield is on the north side of the Piton's before you get to Soufriere I believe. I had heard good recommendations about it a while ago. We took a taxi from the airport at the southern end of the island to our hotel and my stomach was not right for two days between that and the strong smells. We did a helicopter tour during the week which was beautiful and should not be missed. Hope this helps.

Old Sep 9th, 2002, 09:58 AM
Islandgirl

Never stayed at Stonefield Villas but saw a feature on it the other day on BET with Kim Fields (used to be on Facts of Life) and the owners. It is apparently owned by a local St Lucian family. The property is small but the villas looked amazing! One drawback - I did not get the impression that it is on a beach (like Jalousie) so you may want to think about that. I beleive Stonefield may have a website - type the name into a search engine and see

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 03:37 AM
Anon

I would say go for the Jalousie. It is absolutely gorgeous and very unique. There is snorkeling right there and the availability of diving and going to other beaches. There are special rates in the low season with Jalousie at their website. We've stayed in the Soufriere area and that would be my choice.

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 07:43 PM
Hope

Any information about Rex St Lucian? We've never been to St Lucia but the timing and frequent flier availability are what led us here 10/24/2 for a week. Would love to hear from anone who knows of this place. How's the beach? Snorkeling? We still have 24 hrs to cancel.

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 06:03 AM
Marti

Hope, You need to post this request as a new message, nobody is going to find it down here. (except for people like me, also looking for St. Lucia info!)

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 07:37 PM
Hope

Thanks for the tip Marti; we decided on Granada instead!

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 08:57 PM
ncardillo

Thanks for all your advice! We decided to go for the seclusion of the Stonefield Villas. Since they provide a shuttle to the Hilton (5 minutes away)and to the Anse, we will still be able to take part in those activities that they provide if we desire to come out of our little getaway. Trip report to follow.