Best place to stay in St. Lucia???

Feb 26th, 2005, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

Best place to stay in St. Lucia???

We're planning a 7-8 night trip to St. Lucia over the Christmas Holidays. I'm torn between a couple of really nice resorts. We're looking for someplace fairy small and secluded with our own private room or villa set in a lush tropical area with an ocean view. We want access to a nice beach, nice restaraunt and would love our own private plunge pool and an outdoor shower. Any recommendations?
Feb 26th, 2005, 11:02 AM

You have described the Jalouise Hilton. I have not been, but that is the exact description of what it has. It is located between the Piton Mtns and is supposedly spectacular. I would do a search on the Jalouise Hilton here and see what the people who have stayed there say.
Feb 26th, 2005, 11:20 AM

Well, there are no outdoor showers at Jalousie and it is a large resort rather than small, but otherwise it does meet your requirements. Ti Kaye Village, midway between Castries and Soufriere on the west coast, offers everything you're looking for in a small handful of cottages that have plunge pools.

Ti Kaye probably offers a better overall value than Jalousie, but Jalousie's setting is more spectacular being smack between the Pitons.
Feb 26th, 2005, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

How about Ladera? The only drawback is that I don't think they have outdoor showers.

Would you recommend staying in one place for all 7 nights or splitting our time between 2 resorts, 3 nights at one and 4 at the other?
Mar 2nd, 2005, 08:35 AM

Jalousie Hilton! I stayed there for my honeymoon and had lots of privacy in an Oceanview villa. The location is incomparable to any other resort and it has it's own beach. The villas are all spread out, so you never feel like you are crowded like in a typical huge hotel.
Mar 2nd, 2005, 08:49 AM

I recommend Ladera Resort!!!!!!
Mar 4th, 2005, 11:18 AM

I've just heard that Hilton has sold the Jalousie resort. Has anybody else heard this? If so, who bought it? I have December reservations there and Hilton hasn't sent me anything.
Mar 5th, 2005, 11:56 AM

My understanding is that the Hilton was purchased by SunSwept Resorts, which intends to turn it into a Body Holiday--similar to LeSport on the northern end of the island. The official change of hands is set to take place May 31. All existing reservations will be honored.

Its too bad as I was hoping to get a free stay there sometime in the future using Hilton points. Guess I waited too long.
Mar 6th, 2005, 11:04 AM

I can not say enough great things about Ladera Resort! Went there in 2001 to complete our honeymoon after a horrifying stay at Sandals Halcyon and from the moment we got off the van it was wonderful! We did not go in peak season and our room/villa was upgraded, and I strongly suggest getting the better of the suites if you can spend the x$$$, showers in these rooms had one wall open to sea and Piton Mtns, truly unbelievable views!! I believe all suites have plunge pools, the one in upgraded suite was magnificent, really large, swing, jaccuzzi - unbelievable! property, staff, restaurant, chef - all were above & beyond our expectations; but do give a lot of consideration to the fact that all of the rooms/suites have only 3 walls, which means you will definately need to use mosquito nets at night and will need to be ok with gecco's on the walls from time to time.
Mar 6th, 2005, 12:31 PM

suzy quote:
"Message: I can not say enough great things about Ladera Resort! Went there in 2001 to complete our honeymoon after a horrifying stay at Sandals Halcyon ".

suzy, I can surely sympathize with you! Especially if you had to spend any length of time at the Sandals Halcyon

We soooo lucked out, as, at the last minute (a couple days before leaving for St.Lucia) decided to book a few nights at Ladera BEFORE we were to stay at the Sandals Halcyon for a week. Well... you can imagine, after staying at Ladera and visiting the beach at the Jalousie Hilton, then having to go to the Halcyon. NOT!!! We never unpacked, but had to wait until morning to find somewhere to go. My husband and myself, were envisioning, wandering the streets of St.Lucia begging for some local to take us in to there home, LOL. But no way would we spend another night at the Halcyon.

Ladera was booked full and so was the Jalousie Hilton at the time, but kindly, the Jalousie was able to fit us in with a little junk-a positioning.

Our trip was saved!

Donna
Mar 7th, 2005, 04:05 PM

JungleBride, I would definitely stay at least 3 nights at Ladera in the beginning----the suites do have plunge pools then stay at the Hilton. We stayed at the Hilton with two kids---separate rooms and went to Dasheen at least 6x to eat-----looked at the rooms. We even thought of going back with the children----can be done, but is a real romantic place and not many children. It is just best view and food on the island. I would say end at the Hilton because it is more variety and more to do----get two bedroom mountainview villa that has a good size plunge pool over the others. Also it has a spectacular view. You can walk to the beach, walk to several small shops, walk to several restaraunts---(by shuttle that is on some) You have to see Ladera though!!!
Mar 7th, 2005, 04:37 PM

In my opinion, you can't get any better than Tikaye. My wife and I went there in November of 2002 and had a fantastic time. I proposed on that trip on the deck of our private balcony while the sun was going down our first night. We had a villa overlooking the water with our own plunge pool, and it was very secluded. The beach is very nice with several places to snorkel nearby, and there is even a sunken ship 100 yards or so off the beach. The service was absolutely incredible and the owners were amazing! They were very willing to make any accomodation for you...they even wheeled in a television one afternoon so that I could watch my college football team.

We arranged a massage for two on the deck and really enjoyed the outdoor showers. The food was excellent and there is really no reason to leave - but you should. A couple of years ago the town about 5 minutes away would close down ever friday night and the locals would cook their catch: lobsters, fish, crab...all very cheap.

The Pitons are amazing and you should go see them, however we found that the beach at Tikaye was more private than the others (although you do have to traverse 100 stairs or so). Don't let that last problem scare you - the walk is well worth it.

If we weren't on a mission to go to every island, we would always return to Tikaye. I was worried our honeymoon to the Amalfi Coast would not live up. I have plenty of pictures of Tikaye of you would like to see them.
Mar 16th, 2005, 08:58 AM

hi jryan...

I would love to see the pics! We just booked Ti Kaye for early May. What activities/outings do you recommend? We are not divers but will do about anything else (we are in our early 30's).

Thanks!
Apr 7th, 2005, 06:28 AM

sailor how about detailing the "horrors" of Halcyon? you too Suzy. Not real nice to say a place sucks without expanding on it a bit eh?
Apr 11th, 2005, 04:40 AM

I would love to see your pics of Tikaye. We are staying there at the end of June 2005.

Thanks.
Apr 12th, 2005, 08:20 AM

Just back from Anse Chastanet yesterday and that is the perfect place. Ask for room 7E. Amazing trip, fabulous resort, great food.

Search this Thread