Jalousie St Lucia-Honest objective opinions

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2010, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know of someone planning on spending their honeymoon there next March.
Trip Advisor reviews are "all over the map" Approxim 7 out of 10 in favor
and the other 30% had gripes.

If they stay in one of the renovated villas will they be ok? Is the food better than just
average?
The couple like to Chill and do a lot of reading. Maybe some snorkeling or hiking
but basically relax.

Would like to get the "skinny" on this resort

Thanks

MH
Old May 29th, 2010, 07:59 AM

My husband and I spent our 20th anniversary in St. Lucia at Ti Kaye Village Resort and loved it. It was the perfect resort to get away. Check out the website for reviews and pictures: tikayevillage.com.
Old May 31st, 2010, 05:39 PM

Jalousie in St. Lucia was my first Caribbean destination. It was quite a few years ago now, so I can't speak to current quality of service or food or facilities, but I can tell you that it is hands down the most beautiful piece of real estate I've ever seen. The scenery is jaw-dropping. When we stayed there it was still part of the Hilton chain and the food was both overpriced and mediocre, but even that didn't deter from the abundance of beauty.

We spent most of our time reading on the beach and snorkeling around the base of one of the Pitons. We went out for only three meals--next door at Bang Between the Pitons twice and once to Dasheen at Ladera. We also took just one daytrip to the botanical gardens and the volcano in Soufriere.

If I were to return to that location (and I definitely would!), I'd do more research ahead of time than I did that first time. I'd explore the area more instead of staying put, but if your friends just want to chill, I think it would be an outstanding location for them to do so.
Old Jun 1st, 2010, 05:02 AM

By next march the Jalousie Plantation will have finished receiving all its upgrades and will have a new name, which I can't recall off-hand. Like ejcrowe, I visited the resort quite a few years ago, and it was the most beautiful place I've ever been then or since (and that includes Bali). The setting is just wonderful. No resort is going to offer the absolutely perfect experience for everyone, but a 70% approval rate on Tripadvisor is pretty good. That site tends to draw both rabid supporters and absolute haters, with few in-betweens, a category into which the vast majority of visitors fall.
Old Jun 1st, 2010, 08:13 AM

I agree, Jalousie is amazing! We stayed at the Stonefield Villas about 6 years ago which is about a 5 minute drive from Jalousie. Jalousie's (imported) white sand, no wave beach is gorgeous and it's nestled between the pitons which is stunning. Probably my favorite beach I've been on as far as lush mountainous islands go. There is a lot to do in that location as well. They can hike either piton, do dinner at Ladera which is the hotel in the hills above Jalousie, catch a water taxi from Jalousie's beach to tour the island or go to the (in my opinion a must do) Friday night fish fry in Anse la Ray, or go to Anse Chastenet for their black sand beach and restaurant (about a 5-10 minute water taxi ride). The rainforest hike, botanical gardens and volcano tour are also within 15 minutes of there. St. Lucia also has ziplining, horseback riding, and mountain biking if they're into that. The town of Soufrierre (where Jalousie is located) is a great location-not built up, very lush and mountainous, and reminds me of a scaled down version of Kauai, HI topography wise. The people are very friendly too. If they can get over to Stonefield for dinner one night to watch the sunset, it's a must. The sunsets there are perfect as the Piton isn't in the way to block the view of the sun setting over the water. I'm sure they will have a wonderful time! Let me know if you would like to see our pictures and I can post the link.
Old Jul 13th, 2010, 12:44 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Another one who agrees that the Jalousie is my favorite hotel location - ever! I dream of returning. When I think of going to another island, I just want to go to the Jalousie again (with a couple of nights spent on the hill at Ladera).

I clicked on this thread to find out its status. If the renovations are to be finished by March, they will have a marvelous honeymoon. The beach. The Pitons. Stepping off the beach into some of the best snorkeling waters I've ever enjoyed. The villas. The plunge pools. Ahhhhh!!!!

I wish I could go back for a week on Hilton points again - but those days are gone. I WILL be back...sometime.
Old Jul 18th, 2010, 04:34 AM

I just posted a trip report a few minutes ago you can review in which we stayed a 1 BR villa in Marigot Bay. Amazing and not expensive. I am going back in St Lucia again in a few months and staying in Jalousie with another couple that want to be a pretty beach. I picked this place because the lounge chairs and straw umbrellas are very comfortable. The south is beautiful (stay away from the arid and crowded north). Stay in the updated suites. Rent an SUV and get around!
Old Aug 11th, 2010, 06:17 AM

Hi all. I too am planning a honeymoon at Jalousie in Feb. I would love to see your pics Kelly if you happen to see this. I have been torn with St Lucia over Grenada and I think Im sold on St Lucia, now just deciding on Jalousie or Ti Kaye.

Any feedback would bee helpful.
Old Sep 28th, 2010, 02:08 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
I loved the Jalousie when it was a Hilton and haven't been back since it was sold. I did recently sign up for their eletters and received this offer today -

Make a break for the Jalousie Plantation starting at $310

The Break Away package includes the fourth night free and complimentary breakfast for two.

"Experience why readers of Condé Nast Traveller named The Jalousie Plantation as their favorite overseas leisure hotel in the Americas and the Caribbean in the 2010 Readers' Travel Awards."

Oh, how I wish I could go. Maybe this will be of interest to someone else.
Old Oct 3rd, 2010, 04:21 PM

This is my first time posting... I have been scouring the internet for weeks trying to help my daughter find a destination for her wedding that is affordable. We have our hearts set on St. Lucia, but I'm wondering if it's within our budget. Of course, we loved Jade Mountain but found out it was $13,000-something per couple for 4 nights! Are they serious? Who can afford that? (Pls don't tell me everyone here pays that kind of $$) Anyway, reading your responses makes me relax somewhat. I feel like FINALLY I am talking to HONEST guests that have nothing to gain or lose by their opinions.
Anyway, does anyone know of a place that feels like pure heaven but you don't have to pay with your appendages? I will be paying for the bride & groom, me and my husband, my two girls and my son and his girlfriend and my mother. So essentially, I need 5 rooms. The groom's family will be needing about the same. We have five non-family members that will be attending also. Would I be better off with all-inclusive packages? Do you think I could get a group rate. What questions do I need to be asking about wedding details, amenities, etc?

I'M SKEERED!