Little Dix vs Caneel

Old Jan 17th, 2009, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Little Dix vs Caneel

So we're thinking about going to either Little Dix or Caneel Bay. The Rosewood rep seemed to be pushing Caneel and honestly, I'm not sure if it was because it was a better fit for our family or more expensive.

We have 2 teenage boys. We like to do stuff, like snorkel, fish, explore. Shopping is NOT important but it is fun to try new restaurants (at least for me and hubby).

Both seem to be equally difficult to reach. Caneel would be about $1000 more per night. Would cost about $2000 more to reach Little Dix, so really, for a week Little Dix wolud be a big savings.

Any thoughts?

p.s. I get PAINED coming on here too much and thinking about a wonderful Caribbean vacation! Does anyone else have this problem?!?! I want to go tomorrow! (this is not my main question! lol)
Old Jan 17th, 2009, 10:46 AM

My bf and I stayed 4 nights at Caneel Bay and 2 nights at Little Dix. While at Caneel Bay we took a day trip to yost van dyke which wasn't too much $$ and was a nice day at the beach. Caneel Bay had lots of places to snorkel and different beaches to check out. Virgin Gorda had the Baths which we rally liked, snorkeling in our opinion at Virgin Gorda was not as appealing as Caneel, maybe you shoudl look into spliting the trip or stay at the less expensive one and take a day trip to some other places. Also, the food at Little Dix was more expensive even though both places were expensive to eat at. And that would be fine if the food was worth it, but the food wasnt that good. You could always look into eating at restaurants off the property!
Old Jan 17th, 2009, 11:06 AM

Of the two, I think Little Dix might be a better choice for you. But I just don't understand how on earth it could cost an extra $1000 to reach Virgin Gorda.

You're going to fly into St. Thomas in any case. Just take a ferry from there. Even a water taxi charter isn't going to cost you $1000. It's possible you might have to take 2 ferries depending on when you arrive, but Rosewood operates a direct ferry from Caneel to Little Dix and another private ferry from St. Thomas to Caneel. Seems to me you could take that (you'd have to pay but I can't see why that would be a problem).
Old Jan 17th, 2009, 01:58 PM
Original Poster

The woman we spoke with from Rosewood said the ferry ride to virgin Gorda would take 3 hours?? And we could take a puddle jumper which costs $250/each each way.

Hmmm bad food, maybe we're barking up the wrong tree?
Old Jan 17th, 2009, 02:26 PM

We took our kids to St. Barths when they were teens and rented a villa. We had daily housekeeping (except Sunday) so I didn't have to work and they loved the private pool. Everyone appreciated having space.
The island has lots of wonderful restaurants and great places for take out food when you don't feel like cooking.
There a number of beautiful beaches each with their own character. We even rented a boat to zip around the island. Everyone had a wonderful vacation!
Old Jan 17th, 2009, 03:17 PM

I have stayed at caneel 12 times and Little Dix 4 times. Last stay at both was this past November. I have had a 10 year love affair at Caneel, but on my most recent stay I felt, sadly, it had slipped greatly.

The small plane comute can be pricy, but the 15 minute ride directly from the airport provides great service, snd s scenic, interesting view of the Virgin Islands. Little Dix has special offers ;isted on their website one offer has summer rates, and another gives $500 air credit on ocean cottage rooms and above.

Caneel has great off beach snorkeling from all seven of their beautiful beaches. Shopping is good in Cruz Bay, and their private ferry,(included in your transfer fees), makes several trips daily to the main shopping area in Charlotte Amalies/ Caneel food was good at the Equater restaurant and terrace for lunch and breakfast. It was inconsistant, and at times bad at the beach bar.

Little Dix has rooms that are much superior to Caneel, a fantastic spa and two gorgeous pools. Off beach snorkeling is OK, but not as good as Caneel's, but instead they offer no cost boat drops to a large variety of Virgin Gorda beaches. I thought the food there was excellent, but since my trip, there is a new chef. I have tried only one off property restaurant, Rock Cafe - lobster dinner with champagne cocktails was very good. I heard that Chez bamboo and Saba Rock are goodand want to try them both. Other BVI's are much closer and more easily accessible for day trips. I also recommend the Spring Bay Picnic and the day trip to Anagada Island along with the Sunset cruise

For me, Little Dix is the better choice.
Old Jan 17th, 2009, 03:20 PM

P.S.
Check the on-line ferry schedule. I believe the time is much shorter than what was quoted.
Old Jan 18th, 2009, 03:56 AM

Both Caneel and Little Dix enable you to do island exploring, island hopping. For opportunities ON the resort, IMO, Caneel blows Little Dix away. LDB has all the rooms behind one beach, and the grounds behind the rooms are ordinary. Best snorkeling is by visiting another beach. At Caneel, the rooms are scattered around 7 beaches, all with wade-in snorkeling. The grounds are extensive, with rolling hills, trails, views. Room differences with LDB are subjective; neither are Four Seasons or Ritz Carlton, but that's not why people go to Caneel or LDB.
Old Jan 19th, 2009, 02:50 PM

http://www.vinow.com/general_usvi/in...Virgin%20Gorda

Here is the link to the ferry schedules. It says it takes 1 hour 45 minutes form Red Hook and 2 hours from Charlotte Amalie STT to Virgin Gorda.
Old Jan 19th, 2009, 06:08 PM

Based on our visits to both resorts (6 in 14 years) and feedback from friends qwho have traveled to both since our last trip in 2005 the food is better at LDB, ther courtesy of the staff is better at LDB, the accommodations are about the same at both except if you get into Cottage #7 Rooms C, D, E, or F at Caneel whicj is superior. The beaches at CVAneel are nicer at Caneel in our opinion but the SNORKELING overall is FAR BETTER at Canee; than LDB though there are a few spots at LDB that are pretty good. You have the convenience cost=$1000 though the ferry is a nice trip.