Reload this Page >

St. John's and Caneel Bay- 1st Carribean trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 12:28 AM
lynn

Any suggestions on what to bring, what to see, excursions, places to eat?? Any way to cut back on food expenses? First time to the Carribean and taking my teenager. After a lot of thought, decided on Caneel Bay and I hope it won't be disappointing- for one week. I'm mostly looking for beautiful beaches, warm water and snorkeling, not an arid island though. Not interested in night life this trip but some differing cultural experience might be nice, although maybe not available since it is USVI, I guess. Any day trips recommended?

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 02:16 AM
lf

Take a trip to Trunk and Cinnamon Bays they are beautiful. Also you can take a boat trip to The Baths in Virgin Gorda. We booked right at the Westin resort. All day trip to Baths, what an experience. Vigorous climb down and back but well worth it once you get to the Baths. Returning on the boat you snorkeling off Norman Island. <BR><BR>We took the Ferry over to St. Thomas, then a taxi; spent the day at Magen's Bay and then dined at the Hard Rock Cafe. In hindsight it was alot of traveling and we thought Trunk Bay was just as beautiful without all the transportation costs and time it took to get there. <BR><BR>Lime Inn had great caribbean lobster, music and a neat atmosphere.

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 08:04 AM
Paul

I highly rec. the daytrip to Little Dix Bay. If the Baths interest you then go for it.....otherwise just go directly to LDB and camp out on their beach for the day. It it REALLY nice. The boat ride thought Sir Francis Drake is reallly very nice too. Only down side is dealing with imigration. It's still very well with it however. IMHO

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 04:03 PM
Miranda

We too are planning a week at Caneel with our teenager. Everyone says it is family friendly, and I am truly counting on that. I doubt we will be disappointed. At least I hope not.<BR><BR>The beach at LDB is nice, but aren't the beaches at Caneel just as nice? The Baths are the big draw at Virgin Gorda, but the crowds are a defininite turn-off. Try to go early or late for the best snorkeling. <BR><BR>Perhaps we will see you there! Have fun!<BR><BR>

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 04:43 PM
Diane

Don't worry about being disappointed at Caneel. You will be enthralled by their gorgeous beaches and outstanding snorkeling.<BR><BR>A great day trip that we booked at Caneel was a 4 British Virgin Island trip with Captain Cathy Packo, She to some outstanding snorkeling sites, and being a marine naturalist, she showed us a variety of sealife. It was a great fun filled day.<BR><BR>Bring swimwear, shorts, tops and some dressy casual wear for evening upscale dinners, should you decide that you want to do that,<BR><BR>Some tips on saving on food are as follows:<BR><BR>Juice, coffee, tea and rolls are at no cost served in the lobby area at 7:00 A.M.<BR>Dinners served in the bar area are less expensive than the more formal restaurants.<BR>Managers party on Monday evenings have good food and drinks. Make lunch your main meal and you can skip buying dinner.<BR><BR>My favorite splurge type dinners are at the Equater Room - excelent food and great view, and the outstanding buffets in the lobby dining area.<BR> Have a great time.<BR>

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 08:02 PM
Lynn

Thank you all so much for the useful information. A couple of more questions: anything particularly helpful to bring along? any particular books to read to get oriented before we go? Do you recommemend making arrangements for transfers from the airport to the hotel or is taking the ferry ourselves fairly easy? Thanks again.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 03:23 AM
Sharon

We've been to St John twice and love it. You will too. I highly recommend purchasing the National Geographic map of St John. It's very helpful when cruising around the island. Also, two books - Feet, Fins & Four-Wheel Drive by Pam Gaffin and St John Off The Beaten Track by Gerald Singer. Both offer lots of info about hikes, drives, snorkeling, and places of interest. The beaches are all incredible and at Caneel you don't even have to leave the resort for great beaches and snorkeling. But you should check out the entire island. We particularly love the East End (Coral Bay) and Cruz Bay has lots of interesting shops and places to eat.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 03:54 AM
Ronnie

Caneel has 7 beaches for you to choose from. One better than the next, if that's possible! There are some very historic sites to see, if you take an island tour. Trunk and Cinnamon aren't the only game in town. There are enough beaches and areas to explore on St. John, before running off and looking for other things. Usually people who are visiting the island for a few hours end up on those those two. There are many others. Rent a car and explore the island. Go all the way to Salt Pond on the East end, the Petroglyphs at Reef Bay, the ruins at Annaberg, snorkel Waterlemon Key.<BR>I believe that included in your package is transfer from the airport to Caneel directly. They have a waiting room at the airport, and have their own boats to take you directly to their dock. No need for the hasssle of trying to get there yourself!<BR>Ronnie

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 05:56 AM
toni

don't waste a penny at caneel's restaurants. but don't miss stone terrace, paradiso, morgan's mango and cafe wahoo in town.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 10:44 PM
Diane

Lynn,<BR><BR>Caneel charges all guests a transportation fee which includes transfers to and from the airport as much usage as you want of their ferry to and from Charlotte Amalie. It is well worth the fee. <BR><BR>Prior to our Caneel visit, we usually spend several days on St. Thomas. They have even arranged for taxi service from our hotel to take us to their ferry. This was also included in their all inclusive transportation fee.<BR><BR>I was unaware of this on my first vist and did the taxi to public ferry to taxi by myself. With my luggage it was a real hassle. Caneel transportation service is deluxe, and I believe that you will be charged for this service, a one time fee added to your room charge, whether you choose to use it or not. <BR>Call or e-mail Caneel as to your time of arrival and they will make arrangements for someone to meet you.