St John vs Virgin Gorda

Dec 31st, 2007, 02:42 PM
Original Poster

St John vs Virgin Gorda

Which did you like better:
St John or Virgin Gorda?
Looking for lush vegetation, quiet, walking beaches, great pools/resorts & food.

Also, would you try for St. Thomas, then to St. John, & then to Virgin Gorda? How long is the ferry from John to Gorda?
Jan 1st, 2008, 04:42 AM

My own preference is Virgin Gorda. Virgin Gorda does have more choices in hotels/resorts (and even villas) that are beachfront (St. John has Caneel and the manmade beach at the Westin). You'll have to do some more research because I'm not sure what you exepect by "great" - and I'm not one to help with pools because I tend to not even know they exist! Caneel has one - have never even seen it and that's a really "great" spot - 7 wonderful beaches on property - but others somehow think it's not - and prefer the hotel with the huge pool, the Westin that I can't stand.

That aside, St. Thomas is different as it is more developed and more populated than the other two. It has an abundance of duty free-shopping if you want, is a major cruise stop - but that doesn't really impact on island stays since you just avoid the busy places the days there are ships in. There's a multitude of resorts, villas beachfront or otherwise, most hotels do have pools and the best food choices and variety - in selected restaurants - of the three. But I do enjoy Virgin Gorda's choices, the food is very good and the ambience of the island is very laid back - island time! Other than the Baths on Virgin Gorda you are unlikely to many others at all on any of the beaches of VG. And depending on the time of year, you won't find some of the crowds that you might run into on STJ. On STJ you will probably spend more time in your jeep heading to different beaches than the others I suspect.

The direct ferry from STJ to VG is about 1.5 hours or so (2 hours from Red Hook on STT). If it's not direct and you have to go to Tortola and then VG, it will take longer.

If you are staying a traditional 7 days, staying on 3 islands, IMO, would be pushing it - Caneel and Little Dix do offer a split between the two Rosewood Resorts with transportation between the two included and they are "great" resorts.
Jan 1st, 2008, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, I'm leaning towards Virgin Gorda & Tortola.
Jan 2nd, 2008, 07:42 AM

I've stayed at both and I really enjoyed both. I would have to say that the edge goes to Little Dix over Caneel (I know that wasn't your specific question). The biggest difference is that Virgin seemed a little more laid back (if that is possible both were pretty laid back!) At Little Dix my wife and I (35 and 33 years old) did nothing but read books and beached it. We did take a tour over to the Baths of course. At Caneel we went into town a couple of times and offsite for dinner. All in all you can't make a mistake!
Jan 17th, 2008, 04:57 PM

Between VG and Tortola, I would return to VG without question!
To me there was no comparison...VG was so much more relaxing and enjoyable.
Jan 18th, 2008, 04:06 AM

One good thing you could do, is Rosewood owns both Little Dix Bay on Virgin Gorda, and Caneel Bay on St. John. They offer a package with both properties, including transfers between the 2 (a gorgeous boat ride.) Why not get both, and not have to choose?