Virgin Gorda vs. St. John?

Old Jan 19th, 2004, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Virgin Gorda vs. St. John?

My family (11) is planning a trip to Virgin Gorda. We were previously planning a return trip to St. John but most of us have been there at least twice. We are planning to rent Beachcomber on Mahoe Bay and are trying to obtain opinions on the quality of the beaches (Mahoe Bay & others) compared to St. John (Trunk Bay, Hawksnest, Cinnamon Bay, etc.).
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 03:39 PM

I've been to both St. John and Virgin Gorda - we've been back to Virgin Gorda 4 times! I haven't been down to Mahoe Bay, but Savanah Bay is amazing, and nothing on St. John compares to the Baths. We stay on the Baths side of the island, so we typically spend the morning on one of the beaches down there (Spring Bay, Devils Bay, the Baths), then head to Savanah for solitude. Not much shade on Savanah, so we bring a fold up sun shade. I've been there in March when we were the only people on the beach. Ahhh. Can't wait to get back!
Old Jan 20th, 2004, 08:30 AM

Besides Little Dix Bay, what is another nice place to stay on Virgin Gorda? Thanks - Susan
Old Jan 20th, 2004, 07:06 PM

The luxury resorts on Virgin Gorda are Little Dix and Biras Creek. You can rent a wide variety of villas. There is a really nice looking one overlooking Savanah Beach - Katitche point Great House. We always stay at Guavaberry, great beach, very clean cottages, terrific hosts - but you won't find a spa and/or restaurant there. You can always book/use the activities at the resorts, dine at their restaurants, etc. So, the definition of "nice" can be many things for many people - what is it that you are you looking for?
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 04:46 AM

Well last year my husband and I stayed at Caneel and loved it but the no tv thing sort of got to my husband after 5 days. So I know there are not too many places that have tvs, but I was hoping to find at least one. I have heard great things about Little Dix, but it is costly - so I wanted something like that but not as expensive. Nice beach, nearby places to eat, etc. Thanks, Susan
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 05:03 AM

Can't think of a single resort on Virgin Gorda that meets the standards of Little Dix/Biras Creek but isn't as expensive. Maybe you should try the Westin on St. John. I have never seen it, but I expect it will be nice, although I doubt luxurious, and have tvs and other activities.
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 05:06 AM

Although I should note that I don't think the Westin has its own beach.
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 05:24 AM

The Westin on St John, does have it's own beach but it's manmade and doesnt' compare to the other beaches on St John.
I would suggest Nail Bay on Virgin Gorda. (www.nailbay.com) It's a terrific resort with a variety of accomodations and three nice beaches on the property.
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 09:53 AM

There are many beautifull villas on Virgin Gorda, some of them offer the service of a hotel. Check out on the BVI's offical website www.bviwelcome.com or go to www.katitchepoint.com (5BR-villa for up to 13 people, next to Mahoe-,Pond- and Savannah Bay).
Regine
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 02:05 PM

My family (18 with 8 under 7 yo) stay on Mahoe Bay every year in March. I have also stayed on St John and visited most of the beaches there. Which island you prefer, really depends on what you are looking for. Virgin Gorda is much more laid back than St Johns. The beach on Mahoe Bay is beautiful and usually deserted. Great snorkeling right off the beach. Trunk Bay is also beautiful but also usually extremely crowded.
If rest and tranquility is your goal, then VG is a great destination. Restaurants are ok and we usually buy groceries and cook at the villa. However, we do make one trip to Little Dix for dinner. We also have a chef come to the villa at least once during our stay to cook (and clean up after) for us. There are 4 or 5 chefs on the island who do this and most are excellent and trained chefs. Cost is usually about $20 per person, plus groceries and tip.
Have a nice trip. The Beachcomber is great.