Virgin gorda vs Tortola vs St john

Old Mar 3rd, 2012, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Virgin gorda vs Tortola vs St john

Spending 2 weeks in St Thomas in January and would like to get some feedback on a 2 day side trip. We're considering virgin gorda, Tortola or St John. Any opinions greatly appreciated.
Old Mar 4th, 2012, 12:59 AM

All are fine St. John is my fav maho.org caneelbay.com
VERY cute pretty easy to get around lots to see and do.
Virgin Gorda more remote the baths there is a great site.
Tortola Roadtown nice beaches sort of underwhelming otherwise.

Happy Trails!
Old Mar 4th, 2012, 05:16 AM

I'd recommend a day trip to the baths on VG, with hitting the smaller islands on the way back (Norman, Cooper, etc). Then do the other day trip to St. John and Soggy Dollar Bar on Jost Van Dyke.

Or you could do a full day on St. John -short ferry ride over from Red Hook and then rent a car for the day and hit a few beaches and check out Cruz Bay, and then hop the ferry back.

And then do a day trip to the Baths with hitting Soggy Dollar on JVD on the way back. I guess it depends what the day-boat excursions offer.

But the Baths in VG and Soggy Dollar Bar on JVD are not to be missed! And every beach on St. John is amazing and Cruz Bay is a fun town to walk around in. You really can't go wrong.

I can't say much about Tortola yet-but we'll be there for a week in June (with the week prior in St. John)! I'll know more then. Smugglers cove in Tortola looks nice (we're staying by there) and Cane Garden bay looks like fun -lots of beach bars.

Enjoy!
Old Mar 4th, 2012, 05:52 AM

I'm not sure if this is two days in the middle of your stay, or an add-on, but you might consider speaking to a charter yacht broker and seeing if you can get a 3 day crewed charter. That way you could see a few spots.
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 07:52 AM

I answered your other post, but a few thoughts about St John: IMO if you go there, even for the day, be sure you try to head to a less crowded beach - which might be hard in a cab. Spend some time in Cruz Bay (happy hour is strongly recommended - Beach Bar or Spyglass). If all you do is a beach there it might not seem that special. I am not a huge fan of either the Maho campground or Caneel Bay...One being too worn out and the other being too stuck up. lol

Virgin Gorda is a haul, and many people are depressed at the crowds at the Baths. Personally, I don't think they are worth the trip unless you have a really long vacation.
Old Mar 10th, 2012, 05:22 AM

I agree with wliwl about the baths...overrated, crowded, charge admission..really?! But Virgin Gorda is a beautiful island with way better beaches...spring bay next door...no people...no admission...picnic tables...relaxing...or savannah bay...great snorkeling...quiet...empty.

peace, greenie
Old Mar 10th, 2012, 07:10 AM

With 2 weeks you can do all. Some trips from St Thomas actually combine a few islands together as a day trip.

Don't forget to add Jost Van Dyke to the mix!
Old May 8th, 2012, 09:52 PM

this was a very helpful thread, thank you. Now, I believe the thing to do is stay four nights on Tortola and three on St.Johns as we need to return to Tortola late on the 7th day for the charter boat. I appreciate the comment about spending more time on ferries than on Islands by trying to fit three in the week.
Old Jun 27th, 2012, 06:04 AM

We are trying to decide between these same islands, and my opinion literally changes every day based on what I read on the forums. I am so confused now!
Old Jun 27th, 2012, 06:40 AM

Plum - Don't fret too much. All of the "experts" here had the same decision making problem when we first started going to the Caribbean. Do what we ALL did, pick one island (it doesn't make any difference which one) and maybe go to a second one for a day trip. Then go to a different one on your next trip - that's right - if you are like most people you'll be "hooked" and return year after after so you'll have plenty of opportunity to visit other islands.

I've bee going to the Caribbean since the mid-1980's and have a home on one of the islands but I still visit others ones. I haven't yet gotten to them all.