Just back from TCI

Jun 29th, 2002, 06:26 PM
anna

Just back from TCI

Just got back from 2nd trip to TCI. Stayed on Provo at Ocean Club West. Was there from 6/21-6/28/02. Had a good time again. Was there on the same dates last year. I could tell that there is alot more tourism. Prices were much higher this year. More people too.
Ate at the Caicos Cafe- Totally sucked. Husband had something that was billed as jerk chicken but I think it was cat or dog. Then they tacked a 25%tax onto the bill which we did not figure out until later. No, gratuity was NOT included in that.
Ate at the Gecko 1st night- no where near as good as last year. My grouper was so fishy tasting that I could not eat it. Very disappointed. Husband got a parasite or something since he was sick as a dog the rest of our trip after eating there which did not make a great trip for him.
Ate at The Tiki Hut. Was also terrible from being so good last year. Husband had filet, ordered it med well & they served it still kicking on the plate. Sent it back, came back same way. I ordered grouper again, it was raw as raw gets.
Ate at the Mango Reef- Very good blackened snapper
Ate at the Sharkbite the other days. It was excellent. Best place on the island this year. Best service, friendliest people.
Did a Beach Barbeque day trip with Silver Deep. Was late leaving the docks- was to leave at 9:45 but did not leave until 10:30am. Then the boat captain dove for fish & conch for lunch. Well, lunch was not until 5pm. We had been on that boat since 9:30am w/o any food other than the bag of chips that I brought along since I am pregnant & need to snack every few hours. It was not too fun after about 3pm of being starved.
Snorkeled WhiteHouse Reef- very good
Snorkeled Smith's Reef- the best. Saw some great fish: Barracuda's, squid, shrimp, eel, HUGE stingray, & some very big grouper. Got some GREAT underwater video- 6hrs total.
My biggest complaint for this trip was the food was overpriced for the quality. I don't mind spending 100$ a night for dinner if it's good but most of it sucked except for Mango Reef & Sharkbite. I did not eat at Hemingways since last year I apparently ate undercooked fish there & it about killed me after I got home.
My tip for anyone going to TCI- Bring as much food with you as possible. Milk was 7.38$ gallon. Loaf of bread- 4$.
Take a day trip with J & B- We did them last year & they were much more organized.
Don't expect to eat dinner quickly. Takes about 2.5hrs total. Service is terrible almost everywhere.
Use lots of bug spray at night.
Do not eat at the Caicos Cafe. They are not honest.
Snorkel at Smith's reef. It's incredible.
Try the blackened snapper at the Sharkbite. It's delicious
Go to see the carvings at Sapodilla Hill. It's hard to find, unmarked but very nice.
Snorkeling at the Tiki Huts at Malcolms bay is so-so.
Still had a great time despite the food issues. TCI is georgeous but you'll find alot of the local people are quite rude.

Jun 30th, 2002, 01:02 PM
george

Why the hell did you go back - what a complainer!

Jun 30th, 2002, 01:11 PM
Linda

You have posted this same message on every forum known to man between yesterday and today. I replied to you in one post on another forum about your disparaging comment regarding the locals. We were at the Allegro T&C, right down the beach from you on the same dates you stayed at teh OCW and we found the locals to be wonderful, funny, happy people. Now after reading your endlessly complaining message on every forum known to man, I'm betting you were the issue - not the locals.

Jun 30th, 2002, 01:12 PM
Smitty

Totally Agree,How about some cheese to go with that whine? How can anybody go to such a beautiful place & have so many complaints? Get a grip on your life!

Jul 1st, 2002, 08:13 AM
Zachary

Wow. I was at OCW right before Anna (6/11-6/18). I had a totally different experience with the food. We had great meals at Tiki Hut ($10 chicken and rib special on Wed. night), Hemingway's, Calico Jack's, and Cuba Bella. Sharkbite was OK, but not as good as those. We had a child, so 2.5 hour dinners were out. No dinner took us more than 1.5 hours. Also, I don't know where Anna bought her milk, but a gallon of 2% milk at IGA was about $5, not over $7. I thought the most expensive thing at the IGA was beer -- over $10 for a six pack.

In terms of numbers of people, OCW was empty. In fact, the only crowded places were Beaches, Club Med, and Allegro. Provo's so nice and safe, I can't really figure out why an all inclusive is a good option. We had no problem at all with local people.

I'll agree with Anna on this: I don't think it's worth the drive to get to Malcolm Road beach. Simply too far for a beach that isn't any nicer than Grace Bay or, if you want a deserted beach, Sopodilla Bay.

Jul 1st, 2002, 11:01 AM
Mary

How anybody can take an island of about 10- 12 thousand people & generalize the locals as rude when she probably spoke to about 20 on her whole trip is down right ignorant!

Jul 1st, 2002, 01:46 PM
anna

I just knew that I'd get bashed for saying anything bad about the island. Read my comments a little better- I had a great time other than the food issue. Remember, I am pregnant & food is very important to me right now.
We shopped for our groceries this year at Island Grocery as we were told it was cheaper than IGA. That was a big mistake. Like I said, almost 8$ for a gal of milk. The locals were rude at Island Grocery, they were rude in the shops, they were rude in the resturants. It was like they did not want the tourists there, but they wanted the tourist $. It was weird since I just did not seem to feel that at all last year. It is also hilarious to think I would go back to an island that I disliked if it was like that when I went before. Again, read my posting.

Jul 1st, 2002, 01:49 PM
Where

Where are you from that you post $8.00 as 8$? Just asking as this might help us out a bit.

Jul 1st, 2002, 02:49 PM
Ray

Prices high,Caicos cafe sucked,Gecko Grille fishy fish,husband got parasites just like last time when he got parasites too.Tiki Hut terrible,Silver Deep disappointing,J & B unorganized, islanders rude.Blah,Blah,Blah

Jul 2nd, 2002, 01:02 AM
Mike

So she's not entitled to complain about an island that is really not beautiful at all? I, for one, appreciate Anna's honesty. You people can DROP DEAD!!!

Jul 2nd, 2002, 03:35 AM
Paul

OK.....Ok guys.......we're all above this bickering.....this is suppose to be an enjoyable place......please let this die now.

Jul 2nd, 2002, 04:53 AM
Linda

Well, Mike Dear, if Anna is entitled to her opinions (which I believe she is) we are entitled to ours a well. It is very common for some to like an area and for others not to. Anyone who travels frequently knows that. Everyone sharing their own personal opinion and thoughts is exactly what these forums are for. As for your "drop dead" comment, grow up - it has no place among adults.